Jayson Stark: Competition Committee Agree's to Changes to Strike Zone, IBB's

Elbren

Surprised, I didn't see this posted yet.

Sources: Competition committee agrees to changes to strike zone, intentional walks

The potentially dramatic changes could be in effect by next season.

The committee agreed on a motion to effectively raise the lower part of the strike zone to the top of the hitter's knees, sources said. The current rules stipulate that the zone begins at "the hollow beneath the kneecap," but the change is a reaction to a trend by umpires to call strikes on an increasing number of pitches below the knees.

The change in the intentional-walk rule would end the traditional practice of requiring the pitcher to lob four balls outside the strike zone. Instead, a team could signify it wants to issue an intentional walk, and the hitter would be immediately sent to first base, sources said.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't but I eagerly await you sharing your wealth of knowledge with the rest of us.

After every game the home plate umpire gets reviewed on the job they did.

The lowering of the strike zone is a direct result of that practice increasing the Umpires' accuracy.

The perceived need to change the strike zone is therefor a direct result of the Umps being willing to accept critical feedback.

I really don't like the intentional walk change. It just seems like it cheapens things. I know it won't affect things too much, but it seems goofy to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the very occasional wild pitch on an IBB.

I also like when the pitcher, after issuing the IBB can't find the strike zone.

I really don't like the intentional walk change. It just seems like it cheapens things. I know it won't affect things too much, but it seems goofy to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive felt they should have made this intentional walk changes years ago. Its just silly to sit there and throw 4 meaningless pitches.

Ive felt they should have made this intentional walk changes years ago. Its just silly to sit there and throw 4 meaningless pitches.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/a6YzVvtxoaY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I think that it's like kicking an extra point. Has to be done. But I'm an old curmudgeon.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/a6YzVvtxoaY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I think that it's like kicking an extra point. Has to be done. But I'm an old curmudgeon.

Ill be honest, Ive always wondered why more batters didnt swing. Ive thot they oughta swing at at least 2 after 3 balls just to make the pitcher throw more.

Only two guys I ever saw do that. Miggy and Vlad Guerrero.

Archived