Rotographs On Wright

Can_of_corn

It's a bit about the O's but more about Wright and how they think he should be used.

http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/the-story-of-os/

Our regular readers, if there are any, know that we are somewhat unhinged on the subject of 5-inning starting pitchers. In our monologues on the subject, we commence by noting that a fair number of starting pitchers are good for five and only five innings, and turn to pumpkins if they stay around longer than that.
The Orioles have exactly what they need to effect this strategy. Wright is a 5-inning pitcher to the tip of his cleats. He?s made 7 starts this season. His numbers for the first 5 innings: 35 IP, 31 H, 10 W, 13 ER, 25 K, 3.34 ERA, 1.17 WHIP, 6.43 K/9. His numbers as a starter in the innings thereafter: 5 1/3 IP, 11 H, 4 W, 10 ER, 5 K, we can?t even bring ourselves to do the rest of the math.

This is a case for me where data analysis misses the human element. Or you could just say small sample size with a young pitcher in his first full season.

Wright has 16 career starts in the bigs at this point. I think Showalter is doing the Orioles and Mike Wright a huge disservice if he doesn't give Wright the chance to learn how to get through the line-up a 3rd time.

For me, the only way you are going to ensure that Mike Wright is a 5 inning pitcher is if you don't give him enough chances to understand how to be successful the 3rd time in the order.

I don't think you give up yet.

I have also wondered whether it would make sense to use Wright and someone like Worley (or Wilson, once Gallardo is back) as "one" pitcher. Wright twice through the line-up only, then the next guy.

I have been in favor of that for some time now. It's not really an innings issue but the 3rd time through the lineup issue. Batters hit (.341/.449/.610/1.059) off the 3rd time they see him. I'd have a guy warmed up ready to go after he went through the order twice. If that's the 4th, 5th or 6th inning I could care less. At the end of the dat Wright turns into a pumpkin the 3rd time though the order. Tyler Wilson is similar (.417/.483/.583/1.066) and actually even worse. Unfortunately this area is not one of Buck's strengths. He usually doesn't pull them until after they become pumpkins. Wilson and Wright are guys who can get you through a lineup twice. If handled well enough they can be very valuable.

I have been in favor of that for some time now. It's not really an innings issue but the 3rd time through the lineup issue. Batters hit (.341/.449/.610/1.059) off the 3rd time they see him. I'd have a guy warmed up ready to go after he went through the order twice. If that's the 4th, 5th or 6th inning I could care less. At the end of the dat Wright turns into a pumpkin the 3rd time though the order. Tyler Wilson is similar (.417/.483/.583/1.066) and actually even worse. Unfortunately this area is not one of Buck's strengths. He usually doesn't pull them until after they become pumpkins. Wilson and Wright are guys who can get you through a lineup twice. If handled well enough they can be very valuable.

I agree Tony, the third time through the order is probably just coinciding with the sixth inning on a fairly frequent basis.

If they could get Bundy straightened out they could have him and Vanimal piggyback Wright and Wilson.

I think Buck is still in a "let them grow and find out what they can do" mode of thought with both Wilson and Wright. Once he's convince that they just can't do it, he may modify his thought. But, it's easier to do this with one starter than two. Eventually, too many 5-inning starters will kill your bullpen. Given the small sample for both guys, you would begin to think that they can't go further. But, a larger sample might show it's just that they can't do it "yet" but might with more experience to learn how to adjust.

I agree Tony, the third time through the order is probably just coinciding with the sixth inning on a fairly frequent basis.

If they could get Bundy straightened out they could have him and Vanimal piggyback Wright and Wilson.

Then who takes the innings for Ubaldo when he is out in the 5th. This idea is ok but then you have to have the other 3 starters constantly giving you about 7 innings and also no extra inning games. Last night even with Tilman going 7 we had to use almost the entire pen up and had to hold out Worley in case tonight he is needed early. You can't have 4 guys or so taking up all the late innings in games we are winning and losing.

Count me in all in favor of this idea. Been saying that Wright is a 2 see wonder after that it's WATCH OUT.

Then who takes the innings for Ubaldo when he is out in the 5th. This idea is ok but then you have to have the other 3 starters constantly giving you about 7 innings and also no extra inning games. Last night even with Tilman going 7 we had to use almost the entire pen up and had to hold out Worley in case tonight he is needed early. You can't have 4 guys or so taking up all the late innings in games we are winning and losing.

If you have Bundy and Vanimal penicled in for three innings (6-8) every five days than they can be used some on the off days. Put Ubaldo between Tillman and Gausman so you don't have the two most likely to go deep back to back.

Vanimal is very similar but he actually gets worse the more times the batter sees him, each time over his career. I like him in that "piggyback" role. Although he's had some struggles in small sample sizes this year coming out of the pen the first time through an order, I think that's a role where he can give you 2-3 strong innings after five strong from Wilson or Wright.

I think Buck is still in a "let them grow and find out what they can do" mode of thought with both Wilson and Wright. Once he's convince that they just can't do it, he may modify his thought. But, it's easier to do this with one starter than two. Eventually, too many 5-inning starters will kill your bullpen. Given the small sample for both guys, you would begin to think that they can't go further. But, a larger sample might show it's just that they can't do it "yet" but might with more experience to learn how to adjust.

The problem with that is this team is competing this year. It's not about seeing what they can do, it's about putting them in the situation where they have the best chance of succeeding. I'm not saying you immediately pull them once they get into the 3rd time though the order, but I do say you are prepared to take them out before they implode.

Archived