Are we concerned about O'Day yet?

ArtVanDelay

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm concerned that the vast majority of the commentary focuses on how many mistakes and bad decisions are made by the team with 10 more wins than the next closest AL competitor over the past 4.2 seasons.

I'm concerned that a lot of people choose to look at the downside to the O'Day signing while not acknowledging that there is likely to be significant upside first and that any "dead money" that is out there in years 3/4 is probably almost insignificant in the grand scheme of the payroll size.

I'm concerned that most of the armchair QBing I read shoots down lots of ideas but doesn't really offer comparable solutions.

I for one believe that DOD's leadership and mentality are significant assets that contribute to the increased success of several players that had floundered a bit elsewhere like Brad Brach. I'm concerned that a lot of us don't seem to want to acknowledge that this isn't just widgets being assembled in a transmission. That "soft" contributions like this matter and sometimes they matter a lot.

I expect us to be pretty awful by 2018/2019, but I certainly don't plan to spend the next 2-3 seasons worrying about it any more than I did the past 4 seasons. I don't think there was a middle ground (that this team was capable of implementing due to ownership limitations) that would have led to this much good baseball so I am enjoying watching a talented team, that works hard and likes each other, play under an outstanding manager. I'm concerned that more of us don't seem to feel that way.

Have a great Holiday everyone!

Some folks enjoy the cruise other folks enjoy pointing out the oncoming iceberg.

If I see an example of bad process odds are good I'm going to mention it.

If I'm working for the cruise line, I certainly watch for the iceberg. If I paid for the cruise, I'm going to enjoy the cruise. Otherwise, I don't see the point of going on the cruise.

I'd rather have a seven day cruise even it is isn't quite as nice as the four day cruise.

I certainly don't want the three day cruise that involves dying of hypothermia.

If I see an example of bad process odds are good I'm going to mention it.

i am currently reading this. http://www.pursuitofpennants.com/

a5aba11b01d39a8aabaac526bf5873b7?AccessKeyId=133C906E3D68BA57037A&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

They constantly show Pat Gillick as an example of poor process, but great results. Over, and over, and over again. I guess with the small microcosm that is MLB baseball, it's hard to really know what is good process. Even if great minds seem to be able to analyze if from outside.

This is where I am. I agree with CoC regarding the fact that some of our stuff doesn't follow sound processes (though not to the same degree as I think he dislikes almost everything we do), but if the last 5 years are the results of "bad process" then sign me up for it all day.

I readily explain my reasoning when I happen to disagree with something.

So I'm not planning on stopping.

I think my track record is at least fair.

I've got no issue with your viewpoint or what you post. Not at all. Disagree is different than having a problem. I think you explain yourself well and I agree with a lot of your points. I just disagree with the overall pessimism about our short term chances and how many mistakes are being made. For instance, I didn't have an issue with picking up 2 MiL players for Matusz and a comp pick. If we liked the players, I had no issue with it. The promise of tomorrow doesn't entice me as much as it does some, but I certainly agree that my viewpoint isn't the only viable viewpoint.

Do you think Dan actually liked the guys they got from the Dodgers?

Me, I think Dan tends to talk up the acquisitions. Which is of course part of his job.

I will be pleasantly surprised if these two turn into anything.

Well, he got them from the Braves so... ��

I am just busting your chops. I think their stats look pretty good and the write ups on their stuff looks ok to me too. Who knows? What I do know is that I've seen lots of picks at the 80 whatever level we gave up never sniff results like those pitchers have.

The larger point is that I don't impugn the trade of picks simply because they traded picks. And I don't have enough knowledge to know if the trade was worthwhile or not so I don't try to be the captain of the ship. I'm just on the cruise again.

BTW, DOD can be on my team any freaking day of the week and who cares if we pay him for a year more than we should. Damn was that impressive.

I was talking about the last time he "traded" a comp balance pick for guys that he really liked.

Those two we have a lot more information on.

Archived