Can This Team Win A Championship The Way It's Constructed?

ORIOLE33

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No chance. This team is just too inconsistent offensively with spotty SP. It has 82-80 written all over it from what I've seen in the last 10 days.

Well, as it currently stands they would be one of the two WC teams.

So I wouldn't say no chance.

I could see saying it was unlikely, heck I think it's unlikely, but to dismiss their chances altogether when they are properly positioned on Memorial day...

And any team that spends 200 million has a better shot.

To make it to the postseason, sure. But the teams who make it are good enough to compete with each other, payroll aside.

This made we wonder about payrolls and postseason success. I didn't look into it a huge amount. But I found that in the last 10 years, only three of the 20 World Series teams were in the Top 5 of MLB in payroll. The '07 Red Sox, '09 Yankees, and '13 Red Sox (all of whom won the Series, unfortunately).

We can't hit? Lost me there. The problem is starting pitching. Has been for a while now. Even with Tillman having a strong year, DD's FA pitchers are killing this team (Ubaldo & Gallardo).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This team has as godd of a chance as any other in the AL EAST. The wins/losses between these teams DO NOT come in a vacuum. As of this date the biggest need is a more consistent starting five for the bump. Tillman has done everything to look like an ace of the staff. I would pigeon hole Gausman in as the number two, Wilson has donenothing that would lead me to believe that the Orioles won't win 3/5 of his starts. That leaves the head case of Mike Wright and the Box of Chocolates called Ubaldo. In the wings you have Gallardo who will replace either of the later two when he is good to go. Further down the chain is McFarland, Worley and Chris Lee as possible starters.

This team has as godd of a chance as any other in the AL EAST. The wins/losses between these teams DO NOT come in a vacuum. As of this date the biggest need is a more consistent starting five for the bump. Tillman has done everything to look like an ace of the staff. I would pigeon hole Gausman in as the number two, Wilson has donenothing that would lead me to believe that the Orioles won't win 3/5 of his starts. That leaves the head case of Mike Wright and the Box of Chocolates called Ubaldo. In the wings you have Gallardo who will replace either of the later two when he is good to go. Further down the chain is McFarland, Worley and Chris Lee as possible starters.

I'd separate Tillman and Gausman in the rotation to help keep the bullpen fresh. I don't like the idea of Wright, Wilson and Jimenez pitching in a row.

I am not sold on the Red Sox pitching yet. They have Price but is Porcello the guy from last year or has he figured it out. Wright is still a 31 year old than throws a crazy pitch you can loos at any second. Erod making his first start and still a question mark. The Red Sox have not played a tough schedule no Rangers and no Mariners. There offense is impressive and if Ortiz can keep up his best year at 42 will stay near the top.

Boston is the class of this division with plenty of resources to get what they need down the stretch.

That's what I see. I really Boston going on a prolonged losing streak. I can't say that for any other team in this division.

I am not sold on the Red Sox pitching yet. They have Price but is Porcello the guy from last year or has he figured it out. Wright is still a 31 year old than throws a crazy pitch you can loos at any second. Erod making his first start and still a question mark. The Red Sox have not played a tough schedule no Rangers and no Mariners. There offense is impressive and if Ortiz can keep up his best year at 42 will stay near the top.

As long as the shipments keep coming from the DR, Big Papi will be fine:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Outside of our two seven game winning streaks, we are 14-21. We're 2-6 in our last eight games. After leading the league in hitting with RISP in April and early May, we've gotten much worse hitting in those situations. This remains a team that has trouble scoring when they don't hit home runs.

I'd separate Tillman and Gausman in the rotation to help keep the bullpen fresh. I don't like the idea of Wright, Wilson and Jimenez pitching in a row.

As would I. I had listed them more in the order of preference in effectiveness than in the order in which they should pitch.

Outside of our two seven game winning streaks, we are 14-21. We're 2-6 in our last eight games. After leading the league in hitting with RISP in April and early May, we've gotten much worse hitting in those situations. This remains a team that has trouble scoring when they don't hit home runs.

I see the same thing.

Archived