Orioles have more talent than the Red Sox.

Going Underground

The Red Sox appear to be excellent this year. I'm not sure if their starting pitching is going to hold up, but I don't think it will matter as they will just pummel teams.

They are good, and well-balanced with veterans and young guys. They are going to be good for a long time.

Across the diamond:

C: Matt Wieters > Christian Vazquez

1B: Chris Davis > Hanley Ramirez

2B: Dustin Pedroia > Jonathon Schoop

SS: Manny Machado > Xander Bogaerts

3B: Travis Shaw > Flaherty/Janish/Alvarez

LF: Joey Rickard == Brock Holt (Maybe a slight nod to Holt for history)

CF: Jones > Bradley (Going forward Bradley will be better than Jones)

RF: Betts > Reimold/Kim

DH: Ortiz > Trumbo

So, by my count:

Red Sox: 4

Orioles: 4

Tie: 1

The bullpen I give the nod to the Orioles. Defense to the O's as well.

Starting pitching is a toss up, although I'm starting to give the nod to the Red Sox now that ERod is back, Price and Porcello are pitching better and Wright has been spectacular for them.

However, their offense is pretty damn dynamic. It's much better than the O's. It will come crashing back down to Earth, but all of their young talent is hitting their peak at once.

Not sure how Rickard = Holt. Holt is clearly the far superior player.

Also, Fangraphs has the Red Sox having a much better defense. Though it is a small sample size and we have been hurt by the absence of Hardy.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=fld&lg=all&qual=0&type=1&season=2016&month=0&season1=2016&ind=0&team=0,ts&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

Fangraphs has the bullpens as basically even.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=rel&lg=all&qual=0&type=8&season=2016&month=0&season1=2016&ind=0&team=0,ts&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

If the Orioles have more talent than the Red Sox, they sure aren't using it correctly.

The Red Sox have the best crop of young position players this side of Chicago. Betts, Bradley, Bogaerts are the new "killer B"s and Shaw is legit. Christian Vazquez has all the potential to be an all-star catcher, moving another potential all star Blake Swihart to a utility role because there's no room.

Add the veteran leadership of Dustin Pedroia and a sufficiently roided up 40-year-old David Ortiz and you have an offense scoring a full run better than anyone else in the American League (see: Toronto last year), with good defense to boot.

To put it another way, their non-pitchers right now are worth 2.5 more wins than anyone else in baseball (2nd - Cubs). They don't need good pitching at all right now. Their starting pitchers are 24-12 with a 4.60 ERA and that has everything to do with the players behind them.

Dempsey's claim is erroneous as usual.

The Red Sox appear to be excellent this year. I'm not sure if their starting pitching is going to hold up, but I don't think it will matter as they will just pummel teams.

They are good, and well-balanced with veterans and young guys. They are going to be good for a long time.

Dombrowski has the deepest farm system in Tha majors with which to go get a top notch starter and don't doubt for a second that he will fail in that endeavor given his track record. I could see him going and getting either someone young and promising like Teheran or someone established and elite like Gray (if healthy).

If the Orioles have more talent than the Red Sox, they sure aren't using it correctly.

The Red Sox have the best crop of young position players this side of Chicago. Betts, Bradley, Bogaerts are the new "killer B"s and Shaw is legit. Christian Vazquez has all the potential to be an all-star catcher, moving another potential all star Blake Swihart to a utility role because there's no room.

Add the veteran leadership of Dustin Pedroia and a sufficiently roided up 40-year-old David Ortiz and you have an offense scoring a full run better than anyone else in the American League (see: Toronto last year), with good defense to boot.

To put it another way, their non-pitchers right now are worth 2.5 more wins than anyone else in baseball (2nd - Cubs). They don't need good pitching at all right now. Their starting pitchers are 24-12 with a 4.60 ERA and that has everything to do with the players behind them.

Dempsey's claim is erroneous as usual.

Christian Vazquez is nowhere close to an all star potential catcher. He is a good defensive catcher with no bat. He hasn't hit in the majors and has not shown much at the plate in the minors. He is a nice defensive catcher and that is about it.

Archived