Orioles have more talent than the Red Sox.

Going Underground

Yeh, just not so. Mr. Dempsey is incorrect which isn't exactly a huge surprise. The Sox have the most talent in the AL overall and they have had a couple nice surprises.

Wright, the knuckleballer, is a HUGE find/gift/whatever you want to call it. When guys like that are going good, it is like have an ace who gives the bullpen a blow every time they pitch because they pitch so deep in the game. It frustrates the hell out of me when rivals have this sort of thing go in their favor because nobody really plans for a player like Wright. They just sort of occur. My only consolation is that the knuckler is a notoriously finicky pitch. I sure hope he doesn't turn into another Wakefield for them. They can spend a bazillion dollars so "lucking" into a $1M ace would really suck.

Travis Shaw is another one that needs to turn into a damn pumpkin at some point. He should be a fringe ML player for them (his MiL record is similar to Christian Walker), but he is a 900 OPS guy after almost 1/3rd of a season for them. Frustrating...

I could go on about Boegarts, Betts, Swihart, and a few of their other young players, but at this point everyone knows these guys are good.

The Sox are really good and having good luck. We need the luck to change or they will win the AL East easily.

Yeah they have a lot of guys that are over performing right now. Wright somehow found the amzaing knuckler at age 30. Shaw is an average at best player and is having a great year so far. He hit .256 in AAA in 156 games and hit .242 in AA in 208 games. Last season in AAA Shaw hit .249 with 5 homers. Betts, Bogarts and Bradley are legit though Bradley was about a month away from being shipped out of Boston they had all but given up on him and if they were in contention last season he could have been gone. Lucky for them they were not so they gave him one last shot.

The sox have their flaws as well. Their SP is shaky, 3-7 their bullpen is shaky. They have a weak hitting C playing LF. Shaw is overachieving. Vasquez isn't really anything special offensively. But we also didn't see them with Bradley and Oriole killer Brock Holt.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Dodgers today recalled C/IF Austin Barnes from Triple-A Oklahoma City and designated OF Carl Crawford for assignment.</p>— Los Angeles Dodgers (@Dodgers) <a href="

">June 5, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I still hate that the Red Sox got out from under this.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Dodgers today recalled C/IF Austin Barnes from Triple-A Oklahoma City and designated OF Carl Crawford for assignment.</p>— Los Angeles Dodgers (@Dodgers) <a href="
">June 5, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I still hate that the Red Sox got out from under this.

Me too. One of the greatest trades of all time. That saved Boston's bacon. I hated it then and hate it now. Please don't mention it again.

I hate that Bogaerts, Betts and Bradley are working out for them after a couple of years thinking they'd flounder. Seems like they've been able to draft "athletes" and have them be successful when the Orioles have always sucked at that draft strategy. Manny over Bogaerts, but that's about it. I love Jones but I'd rather have Bradley at this point due to age and upside. Bradley has a much better separation historically between batting average and on base percentage.

Dempsey is wrong but I still like our guys. If anything stops the Sox, it'll be the rotation but it can still come around. Price is just too good, E-Rod is good...I don't know if a knuckleballer can stay as consistent as Wright has been this year but we'll see.

Even moving forward, their killer B's will have them set up for years to come.

I hate that Bogaerts, Betts and Bradley are working out for them after a couple of years thinking they'd flounder. Seems like they've been able to draft "athletes" and have them be successful when the Orioles have always sucked at that draft strategy. Manny over Bogaerts, but that's about it. I love Jones but I'd rather have Bradley at this point due to age and upside. Bradley has a much better separation historically between batting average and on base percentage.

Dempsey is wrong but I still like our guys. If anything stops the Sox, it'll be the rotation but it can still come around. Price is just too good, E-Rod is good...I don't know if a knuckleballer can stay as consistent as Wright has been this year but we'll see.

Great reason to prefer a player whose OBS is 3 points lower and whose batting average is 41 points lower: Separation!

I'm trying to figure out whether Bradley is now a good hitter, or whether he is just a crazy streaky guy now on a hot streak. Consider this:

2014: .531 OPS in 423 PA

Thru 8/8/15: .426 OPS in 74 PA

8/8 - 9/7/15: 1.441 OPS in 90 PA

9/8 - 10/4/15: .510 OPS in 94 PA

4/5 - 4/23/16: .586 OPS in 59 PA

4/23 - 6/6/16: 1.138 OPS in 156 PA

I mean, I've seen plenty of streaky players, but that's pretty insane.

I'm trying to figure out whether Bradley is now a good hitter, or whether he is just a crazy streaky guy now on a hot streak. Consider this:

Luke Scott, Mark Reynolds streaky insane.

This exactly. Not one of us has a good idea of what Bradley may do in the future. Despite the age difference. Jones may be far more productive in coming years. Jones has established a reliable track record while Bradley has not.

Archived