Homecoming for Guts?

Muihtil

According to Ken Rosenthal Guthrie is going to opt out of his minor league deal with the Padres

Any chance we'd give him a look? With Gallardo coming back, Wright will almost assuredly be out of the rotation (rightfully so), but that still leaves us with Ubaldo. Why not give Guthrie a minor league deal, and see how he performs? Even at 37, he's likely to still eat innings and not implode like Wright and Ubaldo. Our only other veteran option is Worely, and without him we have basically no long men,

Would it be nuts to bring him back if he's interested?

According to Ken Rosenthal Guthrie is going to opt out of his minor league deal with the Padres

Any chance we'd give him a look? With Gallardo coming back, Wright will almost assuredly be out of the rotation (rightfully so), but that still leaves us with Ubaldo. Why not give Guthrie a minor league deal, and see how he performs? Even at 37, he's likely to still eat innings and not implode like Wright and Ubaldo. Our only other veteran option is Worely, and without him we have basically no long men,

Would it be nuts to bring him back if he's interested?

A minor league contract can't hurt and it would be fun if he eventually made the team and had any success. But his 5.95 ERA and 1.55 WHIP from last year doesn't have me convinced about the lack of implosions.

A minor league contract can't hurt and it would be fun if he eventually made the team and had any success. But his 5.95 ERA and 1.55 WHIP from last year doesn't have me convinced about the lack of implosions.

Fair enough, it felt like he pitched better than that for KC last year. Should have checked that, still might be worthy of a look. We've done worse.

Fair enough, it felt like he pitched better than that for KC last year. Should have checked that, still might be worthy of a look. We've done worse.

Yeah, he was decent for them in 2013-2014 and even started two World Series games in 2014. But last year the bottom fell out a bit. It's not impossible that he could bounce slightly, but if he couldn't make it onto the Padres I doubt he could make it onto the O's unless we had a bunch of injuries.

This may be stupid but the "These O's Ain't Royal" thing really irritated me. Just seemed very classless and disrespectful to the organization that gave him his start in MLB. Plus he isn't any good. No thanks.

Sign him and make him wear that shirt at the press conference.

Archived