Yankee Series Preview

Frobby

The Yankees come in at 25-28, having been outscored 228-198. They're 4-6 in their last 10 games. Here are the matchups:

Eovaldi (6-2, 3.71) vs. Tillman (7-1, 2.92)

Nova (3-3, 3.98) vs. Wilson (2-4, 3.83)

Sabathia (3-4, 2.85) vs. Gausman (0-3, 3.78)

Eovaldi has been red hot, with wins in 6 of his last 7 starts and allowing 0-2 ER in five of those. He doesn't get deep in games, but if he gets through 6 IP, you're into Betances, Miller and Chapman. We need to find a way to scratch out some runs early. Tillman has been a rock for us, very steady and the team has won 9 of his 11 starts, including a win in New York where Tillman pitched 7 innings and allowed only one run.

Nova pitched out of the bullpen in April and was reinserted in the rotation on May 9. He pitched well the first three times, but struggled a bit in his last two starts agains the Blue Jays, allowing 4 runs both times. Wilson has been steady if unspectacular. He pitched a decent game against the Yankees in early May, 6 IP, 3 R, 2 ER, with all three runs coming in the 6th inning.

Sabathia had a short DL stint in early May but has pitched very well since returning, allowing only 3 runs over 3 starts spanning 19 innings. He also threw 7 innings of shutout ball against the Orioles before going on the DL. Gausman has struggled lately, 5.34 ERA in his last 5 starts. Before that, he pitched his best game of the year against the Yankees, 8 IP, 3 H, 0 R.

The Yankees have two problems: (1) they are a poor hitting team, last in the AL in runs scored and particularly feeble on the road, where they've averaged 3.14 runs/game, and (2) their middle relievers are poor, if you can get to them and avoid Betances/Miller/Chapman. Beltran and Ellsbury have been a little hot of late and the team did hit slightly better in May than in April.

Overall, we need to be patient against the Yankee starters and avoid games where they take it to Betances, Miller and Chapman with a lead. This is not a series we can take for granted, as the three starters we are facing have all been pretty solid.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Betances, Miller, and Chapman all pitched last night. (And each gave up a run!)

They didn't go the day before, so I'm sure they are all in play for tonight. But at least we know we won't see them in all 3 games because that would mean using them 4 days in a row.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Betances/Miller/Chapman: 59 G, 57.2 IP, 39 H, 18 R, 14 ER, 12 BB, 105 K's, 2.18 ERA, 0.88 WHIP, 16.4 K/9, 8.75 K/BB

Brach/O'Day/Britton: 68 G, 72 IP, 47 H, 13 R, 13 ER, 22 BB, 83 K's, 1.63 ERA, 0.96 WHIP, 10.4 K/9, 3.77 K/BB

Two pretty impressive trios. I might give a slight edge to their guys, and they certainly put up K's at a ridiculous rate. But the rest of our bullpen has a 3.61 ERA, compared to the Yankees' 4.71.

The Yankees come in at 25-28, having been outscored 228-198. They're 4-6 in their last 10 games. Here are the matchups:

Eovaldi has been red hot, with wins in 6 of his last 7 starts and allowing 0-2 ER in five of those. He doesn't get deep in games, but if he gets through 6 IP, you're into Betances, Miller and Chapman. We need to find a way to scratch out some runs early. Tillman has been a rock for us, very steady and the team has won 9 of his 11 starts, including a win in New York where Tillman pitched 7 innings and allowed only one run.

Nova pitched out of the bullpen in April and was reinserted in the rotation on May 9. He pitched well the first three times, but struggled a bit in his last two starts agains the Blue Jays, allowing 4 runs both times. Wilson has been steady if unspectacular. He pitched a decent game against the Yankees in early May, 6 IP, 3 R, 2 ER, with all three runs coming in the 6th inning.

Sabathia had a short DL stint in early May but has pitched very well since returning, allowing only 3 runs over 3 starts spanning 19 innings. He also threw 7 innings of shutout ball against the Orioles before going on the DL. Gausman has struggled lately, 5.34 ERA in his last 5 starts. Before that, he pitched his best game of the year against the Yankees, 8 IP, 3 H, 0 R.

The Yankees have two problems: (1) they are a poor hitting team, last in the AL in runs scored and particularly feeble on the road, where they've averaged 3.14 runs/game, and (2) their middle relievers are poor, if you can get to them and avoid Betances/Miller/Chapman. Beltran and Ellsbury have been a little hot of late and the team did hit slightly better in May than in April.

Overall, we need to be patient against the Yankee starters and avoid games where they take it to Betances, Miller and Chapman with a lead. This is not a series we can take for granted, as the three starters we are facing have all been pretty solid.

The win Tillman had wasn't in New York, but your post is pretty spot on. I think, if our bats can stay hot like they have been the past two games, we should at least win 2/3.

Pretty odd that we don't play in New York until after the All-Star break.

There are a lot of differences between the bullpens, especially in the ability to strike batters out and make them look bad. But in my view one of the biggest differences, especially when you look at the entire bullpens, is in the teams' managers: Buck is one of the best at deploying his guys (despite, or maybe because of, my frequent disagreements with his moves), and Girardi only thinks he does a brilliant job managing his (and has convinced a few gullible NY writers to believe that's the case).

The O's take two of three against the Yanks. IMO

There are a lot of differences between the bullpens, especially in the ability to strike batters out and make them look bad. But in my view one of the biggest differences, especially when you look at the entire bullpens, is in the teams' managers: Buck is one of the best at deploying his guys (despite, or maybe because of, my frequent disagreements with his moves), and Girardi only thinks he does a brilliant job managing his (and has convinced a few gullible NY writers to believe that's the case).

I think Girardi is an excellent manager and uses his bullpen very well, though he does drive me nuts with his many one-batter matchups.

I'm worried about the O's against Sabathia. Especially w/ Gausman pitching very poor as of late. Nova I feel we can hit hard.

Set the tone today. If the O's lose, I can see us losing to Sabathia. Win today and we definitely get 2 of 3.

CC is 50-50, he has pitched some gems against the Birds, but they had hit up too. IMO

I was traveling tonight and heard the ninth inning and post game on NY's feed. They indicated that the Teixeira injury is more than the standard soreness he had been feeling. They may have to make a move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Betances, Miller, and Chapman all pitched last night. (And each gave up a run!)

They didn't go the day before, so I'm sure they are all in play for tonight. But at least we know we won't see them in all 3 games because that would mean using them 4 days in a row.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Betances has now thrown 40+ pitches over the past two days. And he has struggled. Can't imagine we see him tomorrow.

CC is 50-50, he has pitched some gems against the Birds, but they had hit up too. IMO

Yeah, but his overall numbers:

.249/.294/.376 - .669 OPS, 3.35 ERA, 1.162 WHIP in 234 IP. He's 19-7 against the Birds.

That said at Camden Yards his numbers aren't nearly as good.

.276/.317/.413 - .730 OPS, 3.63 ERA, 1.302 WHIP in ~144 IP. He's 11-6 at OPACY.

Oddly enough, he hasn't allowed more than 3 ER in any of his starts this year.

Number of games

0 ER: 2

1 ER: 1

2 ER: 1

3 ER: 4

His last 4 games:

1.04 ERA, .178/.237/.244 - .482 OPS, 26 IP, 25 SO, 5 BB only 3 ER and 16 H for a WHIP of only 0.808. 8.7 SO/9, 1.7 BB/9. 5.1 SO/BB.

Those are ridiculously good numbers. And they came against: the Orioles, Athletics and back to back games against the Blue Jays.

Archived