Orioles punish the Red Sox's frequent mound visits

Frobby

Gary Thorne and Mike Bordick pointed out several times that the Red Sox catchers seem to visit the mound just about every other batter. It's ridiculous, and if MLB is really interested in shortening the games, perhaps it needs to start limiting this activity.

In any event, when Tanaka came into the game, the first pitch to Manny was a nasty slider that Manny missed by a mile. For some reason, the catcher decided that warranted a mound visit. Manny responded by hitting a 3-run bomb on the next pitch, a hanging breaking ball.

In the 8th, I believe that one of the homers (Jones'?) also immediately followed on of the mound visits.

I sometimes criticize Matt Wieters for not visiting the mound enough when his pitcher is in trouble, but lord knows that's better than constantly disrupting the flow of the game and showing that you have no confidence in your pitchers.

Constant catcher visits will disrupt the pitchers rhythm and can be counter productive. I have no problem with occasional visits, either to calm the pitcher down after a big hit or change signs with a guy at 2nd or for other valid reasons.

And Tazawa has been brutal on us. Over the last 4 years we've OPS'd .455, .645, .400, and .391 off of him.

The first pitch he threw to Manny couldn't have been better. Why Vazquez decided that was a good time to visit the mound is completely beyond me.

Gary Thorne and Mike Bordick pointed out several times that the Red Sox catchers seem to visit the mound just about every other batter. It's ridiculous, and if MLB is really interested in shortening the games, perhaps it needs to start limiting this activity.

In any event, when Tanaka came into the game, the first pitch to Manny was a nasty slider that Manny missed by a mile. For some reason, the catcher decided that warranted a mound visit. Manny responded by hitting a 3-run bomb on the next pitch, a hanging breaking ball.

In the 8th, I believe that one of the homers (Jones'?) also immediately followed on of the mound visits.

I sometimes criticize Matt Wieters for not visiting the mound enough when his pitcher is in trouble, but lord knows that's better than constantly disrupting the flow of the game and showing that you have no confidence in your pitchers.

I was so sick of all the mound visits by the catcher and could not believe he was going out again after Manny missed the first pitch so badly.

I did one serious fist pump when he hit that homerun on the second pitch.

The first pitch he threw to Manny couldn't have been better. Why Vazquez decided that was a good time to visit the mound is completely beyond me.

My wife (a newer, but enthusiastic fan) asked me, "Why is he doing that? Is this like when you ice the kicker in football?"

I said, "I doubt it. A pitcher is more likely to lose their rhythm with this kind of thing than hiers are. "

Next pitch to Manny left the park. :laughlol:

A working list on ranking visits:

1. Pitching coach

2. Catcher

3. Manager

3a. Krampus

3b. Cats

4. Overnight stay from sister-in- law

4a. Rumpelstiltskin

5. Neighbor kid

6. Wife's aunt

7. Something court appointed

Your results may vary.

A working list on ranking visits:

1. Pitching coach

2. Catcher

3. Manager

3a. Krampus

3b. Cats

4. Overnight stay from sister-in- law

4a. Rumpelstiltskin

5. Neighbor kid

6. Wife's aunt

7. Something court appointed

Your results may vary.

List should also include pigeons, squirrels, topless kissers, bottomless streakers, and alien abductor from Skydome-shaped flying saucer overhead.

The thing that I dislike most about the Sox is their sense of entitlement/hypocrisy. I feel like they do this kind of stuff (long, frequent visits to the mount, stepping out of the box for an extended period of time, etc.), but they act incredulous when another team does anything remotely gamesmanship-like.

Jim Hunter was very critical on the radio call regarding the mound visits as well.

I remember Gibbons from the Jays getting burned also against the O's. He went to use his 5th challenge and thus disrupting the rhythm his pitcher was in.

Don't want to burn that one-and-only challenge ;)

Archived