It could take $400 million to sign Manny (internet sources unnamed)

calmunderfire

Not a very good job by calmunderfire in his source work. Quoting the internet is cute though.

I was going to poke fun by posting my google search which captured his thread. But in fairness there are two quickly available currentl articles that allude to Manny and $400 MM range.

http://calltothepen.com/2016/05/29/baltimore-orioles-manny-machado-400-million-player/

http://www.camdenchat.com/2016/6/3/11849086/orioles-rumors-manny-machado-contract-extension

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just pay the man. Seriously' date=' sit down with him today and ask him what it would take to keep him in Baltimore for the next 10 years. Then try your best to pay it. He's the best player to happen to this organization since Ripken.[/quote']

Usually on a long-term contract, we'd say "Well, what if something happens to him in year 3, but with a 10 year contract, we'd be saying that for 6, 7, 8, even 9 years. Honestly, unless we're a top 5 type market team (and we're not), I can't see taking a risk like that.

Usually on a long-term contract, we'd say "Well, what if something happens to him in year 3, but with a 10 year contract, we'd be saying that for 6, 7, 8, even 9 years. Honestly, unless we're a top 5 type market team (and we're not), I can't see taking a risk like that.

He can be coming around the bases and he could go down.Had two surgeries and not sure how long he will last.

Here's the blog, by Marc Nomandin

Typical media self-reference and speculation. The Nomandin piece (in SB Nation) cites as its source an article in Today's Knuckleball by John Heyman, who in turn cites an on-air report by Ken Rosenthal on Fox. But Rosenthal doesn't say Manny has asked for $400 mm, he just speculates that he might be worth that much. So, there is no report that Manny has asked for $400 mm, you just have three journalists ruminating that Manny might be worth that much. By the way, I don't necessarily disagree, but only if he stays healthy and performs at or near 2015-16 levels through 2018. If he were to sign a deal now, 2.5 years before he is eligible for free agency, he'd take a significant discount. And as others have pointed out, $400 mm can mean different things depending on how many years are in the deal.

As I pointed out in another thread, ARod's $252 mm deal came at a time when the average payroll was $60 mm. An equivalent deal in 2018, when average payrolls might be nearing $150 mm, could be as much as $600 mm. So $400 mm for Manny? It's a bargain! :D

Probably got it from the post on the Orioles SB blog today. It was reported by Rosenthal that Manny could get into $400 mil range, but not that Manny was seeking it.

Typical media self-reference and speculation. The Nomandin piece (in SB Nation) cites as its source an article in Today's Knuckleball by John Heyman, who in turn cites an on-air report by Ken Rosenthal on Fox. But Rosenthal doesn't say Manny has asked for $400 mm, he just speculates that he might be worth that much. So, there is no report that Manny has asked for $400 mm, you just have three journalists ruminating that Manny might be worth that much. By the way, I don't necessarily disagree, but only if he stays healthy and performs at or near 2015-16 levels through 2018. If he were to sign a deal now, 2.5 years before he is eligible for free agency, he'd take a significant discount. And as others have pointed out, $400 mm can mean different things depending on how many years are in the deal.

As I pointed out in another thread, ARod's $252 mm deal came at a time when the average payroll was $60 mm. An equivalent deal in 2018, when average payrolls might be nearing $150 mm, could be as much as $600 mm. So $400 mm for Manny? It's a bargain! :D

I can see 3 or 4 of those people in the same room, all pointing at each other:

"I heard it from him. And I heard it from him. And I said what I said because of what he said. And he said what he said because ......"

That's what the word is now. And Angelos is not willing to spend that much. Machado also apparently shut down negotiations in 2013.

Like I've been saying all along. He's going to completely and totally destroy any previous baseball contract. He will easily become baseball's highest paid player ever with ease.

But they said he doesn't hit like Cabrera or Trout or Pujols. Blah, blah, blah. Were they free agents at 26 years old? No they were not.

You spend that kind of money on Manny then can't address the rest of the teams

needs. I want the O's to keep Manny but that's just too much. No player is worth

that. Not Manny either. IMO

I love Manny but with every homer he hits and every outstanding defensive play he makes I start to prepare myself for him leaving. IMO, for some reason....and I can't put my finger on it, he just doesn't seem like one of ours. I'm sure his teammates love him but he just doesn't seem like a Baltimore type of guy. I just get the feeling that he'd rather be in a big market like NY, somewhere in Florida close to where he's from or west coast like LA.

I hope I'm wrong. He's a once in a generation talent. When it's all said and done, he's got a chance to be the best player in franchise history. Maybe not the most important but the best.

Kidding aside, I would not be surprised if he continues to play/hit well, that we lose him to FA.

I can see him getting a 3/$21m at some point

Edit: I was referring to Kim - don't know why the quote above was attached.

Yea, he'll have the record for about three weeks.

That seems about right. Seems like everyone is setting a new record lately. I'd hate to see him go, but that is a huge chunk of change over a huge amount of time.

Archived