Comeback wins: sign of promise, or sign of trouble?

Frobby

I don't think it means much of anything.

Do you believe it is a good or bad thing in the playoffs? I tend to think of the playoffs as (regular season) + (more depth) + (quick hooks) + (a crapton of randomness).

Quick hooks and more reliance on top performing relievers.

Two major reasons we have "comeback wins" with regularity this season. Our starting pitching is usually lousy(it wasnt last night), and our hitters usually dont jump on pitchers early and usally dont get untracked offensively till after the fifth inning.Those are two ominous signs for a team.One more thing.When we DO score early we are also a team that looks like it goes to sleep and cant put a game away.

Wait a second... I thought the O's MO was to jump on the pitcher early, get him on the ropes, and then go to sleep offensively for the rest of the game? :)

Our starters suck and usually put us in a hole early, and then the bullpen comes in and locks it down and we catch back up and win.

Not that complicated really. And it's a 9 inning game so I don't care how or when we "lead", as long as we lead after the game is over.

It doesn't matter who what how or when we score, they give everyone 27 outs for a reason.

I think the numbers only show the fact that "we are who we said we are". Mediocre to bad starting pitching. Great offense and bullpen. Good but not spectacular defense.

So I'd suffice to say the numbers are comforting because they illustrate perfectly the team we've constructed.

19 wins are better than 9 wins and 10 losses. Fortunately, in a 162 game season, it doesn't matter whether the win early in the year was a comeback or not- it still counts in the W column. I could care less about how we win as long as it is in the W column. Nebulous, nonstatistical factors like confidence, staying relaxed when behind, etc. are also likely in play when teams do this a lot. And those factors often translate to other wins as well. The 1979 and 1983 teams had lots of "Magic" meaning winning games that in other years they might not have won. Every pennant winning team wins plenty of games that they really had no business winning. Luck, karma, Magic, whatever, just give me the W.

Archived