How Many Games?  

135 members have voted

1. 1. How Many Games?

• 2-3
    • 4-5
    • 6-7
    • 8+

This poll is closed to new votes

Getting revenge is not protecting yourself. And ultimately Manny accomplished nothing. He got a glancing blow. If you are keeping score, Ventura won the fight. The only thing that makes this right and teaches Ventura any kind of lesson is a lengthy suspension.

Revenge is something you plan - this was a gut-level reaction. Manny said it himself. And I think he protected himself in the most obvious way possible - meeting physical aggression with physical aggression, and winning in the melee. This goes beyond logic and first-order results. You gotta look to the second and third-order results. In other words, pitchers might have to think twice before throwing at Manny down the road. That could keep the team out of big brawls that could cost people more than a suspension - but maybe their careers, etc. That's how he's protecting himself.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just watched Buck's presser. I can't remember seeing him that fired up after a game. A few thoughts:

1. Great stuff about him warning Manny before his AB.

2. Sounds like the general bad blood feeling has been lingering between these 2 teams since 2014. Nice to hear that they can't stand those clowns as much as some of us fans.

3. Glad to see Buck give it straight about Ubaldo's outing. He wasn't happy with the performance even though the line wasn't bad. I look for him to go to the bullpen when Gallardo is ready.

[video=youtube;lFLfQmnjOvc]

BTW, Harold Reynolds thinks Jones asked for it by jawing at Ventura after his previous AB. I'm sure Harold was hit by a few pitches. You'll find people on both sides of this, whether they played MLB or never played anything more than Little League.

I assume you mean Machado. :) In regards to Harold...meh. I typically am not a huge fan of jawing, but I'll give Manny a pass there, because of the two inside pitches and the fact that Yordano drilled him near the end of last season. And listening to Manny postgame, it seems like Ventura was jawing at him too, it's just that apparently Manny was caught on camera. I just don't feel like there are any excuses for Ventura's behavior here.

Not disagreeing with you, I know you are just passing along information. But I can't agree with Harold here for a few reasons.

Revenge is something you plan - this was a gut-level reaction. Manny said it himself. And I think he protected himself in the most obvious way possible - meeting physical aggression with physical aggression, and winning in the melee. This goes beyond logic and first-order results. You gotta look to the second and third-order results. In other words, pitchers might have to think twice before throwing at Manny down the road. That could keep the team out of big brawls that could cost people more than a suspension - but maybe their careers, etc. That's how he's protecting himself.
BTW, Harold Reynolds thinks Jones asked for it by jawing at Ventura after his previous AB. I'm sure Harold was hit by a few pitches. You'll find people on both sides of this, whether they played MLB or never played anything more than Little League.

Harold Reynolds is an idiot. I watched Baseball Tonight, Kurkjian said what Bradyburns said, Manny had to do this. You can't give him a free pass to throw his HARDEST pitch of the night into Manny or anyone's ribs. He had to go after him. It's a natural reaction.

e: And like Buck said, he thought he shook off the curveball to throw the fastball.

Telling that Sal Perez didn't even care enough to stop Manny. He had plenty of time. It's almost like he wanted Ventura to get his clock cleaned. Ventura threw the first punch too. I think he should be traded to a NL team. He won't be throwing at people anymore.

I am a HUGE supporter of meeting aggression with aggression in my personal life. I'm not talking about someone making a silly comment, but I will meet physical violence with physical violence 100% of the time. I don't fault Manny at all.

Whatever it is, Ventura's suspension should be a LOT longer. Ventura has a history, what with that big brawl with the White Sox last year. He clearly was throwing at Manny tonight.

It should extend thru as many starts as Manny's suspension will be. Manny gets 3 days, Ventura gets 15. But it won't.

If I can find someone who throws 99, can you take one for the Hangout and let us know. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that it hurts quite a bit.

I'd be too scared to even get into the batter's box if I knew someone was throwing 99.

Obviously RZNJ has been there often. :rolleyestf:

I got hit by a golf ball once. In my right or left calf. Don't remember which. From 90-ish yards. Hurt like a MF! I was 12, 13? My dad almost got in a fight with that guy. :P

Archived