So Who Is In Our Rotation?

Aristotelian

I'd say Worley gets one spot and whether its Despaigne, Miranda or who knows who else, can anybody really do any worse than Ubaldo, Wright and Wilson? There has to be somebody in Norfolk that can at least be serviceable and do better than those three.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I assume one spot has to be Worley. Of all the AAA guys' date=' I say try Wright again. If he knows ahead of time it might make a difference.[/quote']

I agree on Worley and frankly am surprised he hasn't gotten another chance yet. Obviously better in his career as a reliever, but he has had ML success before and his first two starts weren't catastrophic. It's a low bar...

But seriously, I'd try him again before Wilson or Wright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tillman

Gausman

Gallardo

Worley

Despaigne

Britton

Brach

Givens

Bundy

Roe

Jimenez

Richard Rodriguez or Tolliver until O'Day returns

I would not be surprised to see the O's ask Ubaldo to go to Bowie until September. He can hang with the O's at Camden when they are home while starting every fifth day for the Bay Sox.

Tillman

Gausman

Gallardo

Worley

Despaigne

Britton

Brach

Givens

Bundy

Roe

Jimenez

Richard Rodriguez until O'Day returns

I would not be surprised to see the O's ask Ubaldo to go to Bowie until September. He can hang with the O's at Camden when they are home while starting every fifth day for the Bay Sox.

I think the Orioles will trade for two pitchers.

I think O'Day's successful return will free Worley up for a few starts to audition for the fourth spot, with a very low bar to take it for the rest of the season. (As we used to say, "Just leave the bar on the ground and see whether he can avoid tripping over it.") If he doesn't trip, we'll have:

Chris, Kevin, Yovani and Vance/
Then everyone with an arm gets a chance.

I would love to see a trade for an established mediocre starter, but I think there's too much competition for those gems from teams that can spare more prospects (and can take on excessive salary if that's what needed). I think a reclamation project(s) of some sort is more likely. Or maybe a LH Australian softball pitcher.

When I see Ubaldo getting lit up, I wonder what he thinks the future holds for him, other than getting paid a lot of money through next year. He must figure by now he's not going to start for the Orioles. He could:

1. Spend the rest of the season in the Orioles' pen. I hope he's been told this won't happen.
2. Come up with an injury diagnosis and go on the DL.
3. Go the minor leagues and try to re-invent himself, maybe with help from Ramon Martinez.
4. Get traded. Again, I hope the Orioles have told him that nobody wants him, even if the Orioles pay virtually all his salary.
5. Get released and try to catch on somewhere with another ML team despite his ERA of 7.38 and WHIP of 1.97 (and climbing).
6. Get released and sign a MiL contract with another organization.
7. Get released and retire at 32.

It's hard for me to believe that, if his hand is forced, Ubaldo wouldn't seriously consider #2 and #3 with the goal of returning to the Orioles. Sad to say, but he won't find a potential contender where there's a better opportunity to be a starter.

So at this point, I don't really know what to think anymore.

To get even a somewhat decent pitcher or two, you're giving up most of our remaining "close" to major league farm-hands or major league talent.

Going "all in" almost makes sense now. Even if we don't make a trade, do we have enough in our farm system to be competitive 2018 and after? Trade vs. no trade we may be looking at a bad team vs a really bad team. I would almost rather have the really bad team to replenish our farm system 2018 and after.

I think I would be ok if we go all in. When's the next time we will be 13 games over at this point?

Archived