Would you be willing to trade Schoop and Givens for a good starting pitcher?

Frobby

No. Starting pitchers can only effect the team one out of five days. Say, the guy we trade for has an off game followed by a 2-1 loss. That's 14 games where you don't get a win and could have had Schoop and Givens contributing to wins the entire way.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems like robbing Peter to pay Paul. If you trade for a SP, you want to do it while subtracting as little as possible from what makes the 2016 Orioles competitive. I could see Givens perhaps, but not Schoop.

I love Schoop but keeping him over a Kershaw or Bumarner is ridiculous. TB wanted Soler or Baiz for Cobb. Are either of those two that much more valuable than Schoop and Givens? Really people complain because we haven't addressed SP, then when having to face the fact that you have give up something to get what you need, they say no, no, we like our guys. Well is the only way to improve the SP to spend 35 M + AAV on some 30 something FA?

I suggested this as a joke. There is no way whatsoever that either the Dodgers or Giants would give up Kershaw or Bumgarner for Schoop. If either GM were to do this, I would be wondering what they have been smoking.

I suggested this as a joke. There is no way whatsoever that either the Dodgers or Giants would give up Kershaw or Bumgarner for Schoop. If either GM were to do this, I would be wondering what they have been smoking.
Schoop is currently worth 0.5 WAR. There are quite a number of SP not named Kershaw or Bumgarner, who are worth considerably more.

For me, this thread is kind of odd in its timing.

The O's are 7-1 in June. Beat Boston twice. Won two out of three from the Yanks. Swept the Royals and just beat the Jays. This team is really coming together. I don't think trading majors pieces of the team is in the cards at this point.

Buck is developing talented, young pitchers. Wright, Bundy, Givens and Wilson are learning on the job and the O's have such an offense that they are winning while Buck is doing it.

We don't know what these guys will do nor do we know how much Gallardo will help.

I would not tear this team apart trying to add. These guys like each other. They trust each other. Think of the hole that is created by trading Schoop. For Manny but really for the whole team. I just can't go there.

There is no real need to do this to a first place team. Let the young guys develop. Let's see where this group can take the team.

If Dan adds it will probably be minor leaguers that go IMO.

Schoop has a career walk rate of 3.0%. That's the fifth worst walk rate among all post-World War II position players. I don't think giving Schoop up would be "mortgaging the future". He's far from irreplaceable.

Walk rate is only one part of the package.

So they're going to sell him at his lowest point possible especially now that they just added AJ Puk? I suspect the addition of Puk probably pulled Gray right off the market.

The only thing that will pull Gray off the market is his health and stats.

For me, this thread is kind of odd in its timing.

The O's are 7-1 in June. Beat Boston twice. Won two out of three from the Yanks. Swept the Royals and just beat the Jays. This team is really coming together. I don't think trading majors pieces of the team is in the cards at this point.

Buck is developing talented, young pitchers. Wright, Bundy, Givens and Wilson are learning on the job and the O's have such an offense that they are winning while Buck is doing it.

We don't know what these guys will do nor do we know how much Gallardo will help.

I would not tear this team apart trying to add. These guys like each other. They trust each other. Think of the hole that is created by trading Schoop. For Manny but really for the whole team. I just can't go there.

There is no real need to do this to a first place team. Let the young guys develop. Let's see where this group can take the team.

If Dan adds it will probably be minor leaguers that go IMO.

It will be minor leaguers. And some won't like who goes and for whom.

Schoop is currently worth 0.5 WAR. There are quite a number of SP not named Kershaw or Bumgarner, who are worth considerably more.

Sure, but that is in a vacuum. How much value is our fifth best starter currently worth, and how good would our replacement second basemen be?

You can't please all of the people all of the time.

Of course. And I want to add, I have no information other than that the Orioles are making an extended run at winning this season, not building for future opportunities to have seasons like this. SO, you can extrapolate.

I see another issue.

What team has an excess starter to trade for relief help? They could just move a starter to reliever.

If we want a starting pitcher its either a salary dump or a rental from a team not in contention which we don't have the prospects to trade for.

So its back to salary dump as the most likely way to add a starter.

Archived