Would you be willing to trade Schoop and Givens for a good starting pitcher?

Frobby

I see another issue.

What team has an excess starter to trade for relief help? They could just move a starter to reliever.

If we want a starting pitcher its either a salary dump or a rental from a team not in contention which we don't have the prospects to trade for.

So its back to salary dump as the most likely way to add a starter.

Yep. Generally, only teams that are in the hunt for the postseason deal for relievers. Typically, such teams are not looking to get rid of a MLB starting pitcher, particularly that would make an impact on a playoff run for another team.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As I try to think about who we could trade to get a good starting pitcher (not some mediocre guy), it's clear we can't do it just by trading prospects. We just don't have any who are good enough to bring that kind of return. So, I've been thinking about what major leaguers we have who are good players, yet expendable.

No. 1 on my list is Jonathan Schoop. I really like him, and especially enjoy his interaction with Manny Machado. But I think at the end of the day he has some limits as a player. If we moved Flaherty to 2B to replace him, we'd lose a little on defense, but not too much. On offense, we'd lose quite a bit, but due to Schoop's low OBP tendencies, not an irreparable amount.

No. 2 on my list is Mychal Givens. Any team could use a guy like that in their bullopen, but with Britton, O'Day and Brach, he's a bit of a luxury item for us. And, he does have some issues vs. LHP.

Now obviously, I wouldn't give up a good 2B with 3 more years of team control remaining after this one, and a good relief pitcher with 5 more years of team control remaining, for a rental or even a guy with one more year of control. It would have to be a very good starting pitcher who is under control through 2018 or longer. Honestly, I haven't thought much about who might fit the bill. Is there a match out there? Julio Teheran is said to be available -- would that work, if we threw a decent prospect into the mix with Schoop and Givens?

One other thing -- do we dare trade Schoop if Manny hasn't signed a long-term deal and we are still hoping to sign him?

1.Can't replace Schoop's power at 2nd base he's still a kid will only get better.

2.If we want to sign Manny long term Schoop should stay.

3.With our staff we need every good BULL PEN arm so Givens is not a luxury, ESPECIALLY since O'Day is hurt.

4.I don't think you get any ACE or #1 out there for these two, and that's the only way I would even consider this trade

SO no I wouldn't do that trade.

For me, this thread is kind of odd in its timing.

The O's are 7-1 in June. Beat Boston twice. Won two out of three from the Yanks. Swept the Royals and just beat the Jays. This team is really coming together. I don't think trading majors pieces of the team is in the cards at this point.

I don't think you make strategic decisions based on the last week-and-a-half, whether its been good or bad. You look at the mix of talent you have and decide whether that combination can produce a championship, or whether there is some other mix you might attain via trade that would be better.

And I am not saying that having a good starting pitcher would be better than having Schoop and Givens. I'm asking the question of whether it would be better. I'm not sure myself.

I see another issue.

What team has an excess starter to trade for relief help? They could just move a starter to reliever.

If we want a starting pitcher its either a salary dump or a rental from a team not in contention which we don't have the prospects to trade for.

So its back to salary dump as the most likely way to add a starter.

We do have the prospects. We just need to replace them sometime.

I don't think you make strategic decisions based on the last week-and-a-half, whether its been good or bad. You look at the mix of talent you have and decide whether that combination can produce a championship, or whether there is some other mix you might attain via trade that would be better.

And I am not saying that having a good starting pitcher would be better than having Schoop and Givens. I'm asking the question of whether it would be better. I'm not sure myself.

I'm sure that Schoop, plus Givens plus Wilson, Wright, or Jimenez are better than James Shields. Or Maybe even Sonny Gray. This year.

Of course. And I want to add, I have no information other than that the Orioles are making an extended run at winning this season, not building for future opportunities to have seasons like this. SO, you can extrapolate.

One advantage of having a pretty dismal minor league system is I wouldn't be too worried about anybody we dealt from it. I'd like to see how Brian Gonzalez turns out - otherwise Dan can go to town. My concern comes with who comes back. What few assets at the minor league level I'd at least like to see get rolled into a decent starter - and I am not confident in DD's starting pitcher evaluation abilities.

Archived