Updates on Hunter Harvey

Norfolk orioles

You can throw away all your oriole prospect list, because they are all wrong, after watching the replay on MLB this morning, Hunter Harvey is the true number one prospect. He has everything that you look for in a SP, size, velocity, off speed, good slider, pitches to all parts of the plate, and can read bats. Has some rust on him about the little things, fell off toward first plate and lost his control, had trouble with his move to 1st on pickoff move but this is truly the best pure prospect in the oriole system I have actually seen.

Edited by REDMAN
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, REDMAN said:

You can throw away all your oriole prospect list, because they are all wrong, after watching the replay on MLB this morning, Hunter Harvey is the true number one prospect. He has everything that you look for in a SP, size, velocity, off speed, good slider, pitches to all parts of the plate, and can read bats. Has some rust on him about the little things, fell off toward first plate and lost his control, had trouble with his move to 1st on pickoff move but this is truly the best pure prospect in the oriole system I have actually seen.

Harvey was always the #1 for me and I don't understand how the top pitching prospect in the organization ISN'T its #1, especially when it's the Orioles. 

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’m coming around to thinking Harvey doesn’t need to start the year at Frederick and can go straight to Bowie.   

Lol.  I got killed for saying this pages ago. People acting like he’s gotta “climb the ladder”. Let’s be real, the guy could be in AAA. But I say he’s throwing a cutter now, and has to continue to develop the change up. Let him do that in Bowie. 

The only cold water I’ll throw on this is that he needs to hold his stuff under an every five days 5-6+ inning outings. Velocity could drop,  sharpness of his curve could drop, command could falter. I don’t think these things will happen, his delivery is sound, but it’s definitely a risk.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Harvey was always the #1 for me and I don't understand how the top pitching prospect in the organization ISN'T its #1, especially when it's the Orioles. 

https://www.minorleagueball.com/2018/1/26/16938286/baltimore-orioles-top-20-prospects-for-2018

Hunter is rated a B- and best pitcher suspect by this one publication.

Hays and Mountcastle are rated B+ and Sisco is a B.

velocity is back to normal, 92-97 MPH, and he had no problems throwing strikes in his return; flashes plus curveball; change-up still needs some work and he has to show what kind of workload he can manage after so much lost development time but current signs are positive;

I think the bold spells it out the best, he lost development time, so it dropped his ratings a bit.

But to heck with ratings, the eye test, sure looks promising.

Harvey and Tillman faced the same lineup against Minnesota. Harvey wasn’t perfect, but wasn’t overmatched. Cobb ain’t coming here. 

How can we really afford to send Harvey down if we are saying we want to win?  

Notice how Buck laid out a schedule for Harvey to start a sim game then against the Yankees in right before ST. The sim game would be a great opportunity to work on his cutter and change up without getting hammered and losing confidence. 

He’s still got a chance. 

12 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Harvey and Tillman faced the same lineup against Minnesota. Harvey wasn’t perfect, but wasn’t overmatched. Cobb ain’t coming here. 

Notice how Buck laid out a schedule for Harvey to start a sim game then against the Yankees in right before ST. The sim game would be a great opportunity to work on his cutter and change up without getting hammered and losing confidence. 

He’s still got a chance. 

Because the Orioles want to win in 2019 and beyond too. Not just in 2018.

36 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He’s still got a chance. 

Whom do you mean by "we?" DD has said that if we add the free agent pitching he wants that we'll be a contender. Hasn't happened yet.

The team is not in "pull out all the stops" mode, nor should it be. I'm guessing there are some people in the organization who would like to go for it at all costs, but I don't think Duquette is one of those people. I'm not, either. I'd rather see us prepare for 2019 and beyond than make a last gasp effort at winning now.

We have a weak rotation and no pitching depth. We have two big holes in the lineup in Davis and Trumbo. Too many things have to go perfectly to win, including no injuries to the pitchers. Don't rush Harvey and start his clock before he's ready. 

If they are seriously thinking about bringing up Harvey now, they should take a step back and sign Cobb instead. Then we could muddle along in the #5 slot. We still won't have a chance if Trumbo and Davis don't hit.

56 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Whom do you mean by "we?" DD has said that if we add the free agent pitching he wants that we'll be a contender. Hasn't happened yet.

The team is not in "pull out all the stops" mode, nor should it be. I'm guessing there are some people in the organization who would like to go for it at all costs, but I don't think Duquette is one of those people. I'm not, either. I'd rather see us prepare for 2019 and beyond than make a last gasp effort at winning now.

We have a weak rotation and no pitching depth. We have two big holes in the lineup in Davis and Trumbo. Too many things have to go perfectly to win, including no injuries to the pitchers. Don't rush Harvey and start his clock before he's ready. 

If they are seriously thinking about bringing up Harvey now, they should take a step back and sign Cobb instead. Then we could muddle along in the #5 slot. We still won't have a chance if Trumbo and Davis don't hit.

Further, if they think Harvey will be the real deal, it makes even more sense to add another legit pitcher for three years as they won't necessarily be in rebuild mode going forward. 

Harvey appearances,

2-27 @TB faced some regulars 

3-6 @Minn - faced lineup of regulars 

3-11 @Bos - faced lineup of regulars. 

3-16 Simulated Game - Chance to work on cutter and change up. 

3-21 @NYY - will likely face lineup of regulars.

3-26 Norfolk - will he still be around?

4-3 @HOU - first time we need a 5th SP

Buck laid this out, except for the Norfolk game,  after his last ST start. He hasn’t had it easy. Pitching on the road when teams trot out their regulars. 

I'm excited about him possibly being a good pitcher for us this year, but I think given his profile, SP5 is really pushing it and I'm pulling for a Devenski/Peacock style job at least to start out.  The first couple times we'd ask him to do that, doubtless we'd be down about 7-1 in the 3rd inning, and that's fine.

24 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Harvey should be pitching in a sim game today. Keep an eye out for quotes. Maybe they’ll actually talk about him because it’s positive, unlike the games where we were hiding Tillman.

if they say after today that he’s starting that 3/21 game @NYY then he’s got a chance.  

Apparently it's supposed to be a AAA game now, not a sim game like what was initially reported. 

He'll be starting the NYY game as long as he doesn't injure himself, it has nothing to do with his performance in the AAA game or his chances (should be 0% but at best extremely slim) of making the team.

• Upvote 1

On 3/14/2018 at 6:08 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

He’s still got a chance. 

Oh, I don't know, maybe because he's pitched 31.1 professional innings in he last two years combined and has never pitched above Delmarva? Or maybe it's because we don't know how he'll hold up after 75 pitches since he hasn't done it in a start since 2014? Or maybe it's because we don't know whether he can command his changeup? Or maybe it's because the Orioles are not insane?

You can take your pick.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Oh, I don't know, maybe because he's pitched 31.1 professional innings in he last two years combined and has never pitched above Delmarva? Or maybe it's because we don't know how he'll hold up after 75 pitches since he hasn't done it in a start since 2014? Or maybe it's because we don't know whether he can command his changeup? Or maybe it's because the Orioles are not insane?

You can take your pick.

Yeah those facts are true.  But would he better than whomever will be our fifth starter? I expect if Harvey has any kind of success in the minors and we don't sign or trade for anyone else that Harvey will be pitching for the Orioles by the All Star Break.