MLB.com's Jim Callis On Orioles' Draft: 'They Got Three Good Arms'

PressBoxOnline

MLB.com draft expert Jim Callis says the Orioles' pitcher-heavy strategy in the 2016 MLB Draft may have just been a question of best player available.

https://www.pressboxonline.com/2016/06/14/mlbcoms-jim-callis-on-orioles-draft-they-got-three-good-arms

DD was on with Melewski the weekend before the draft, and he said then, the team was going after the best player available, and not worry too much about position and if they were over stocked and under stock. He said those things sometimes work themselves out, or it gives you the flexibility to acquire other players.

Dang, didn't want to be right. Thanks for answering. It figures that the one guy Callis singles out got hurt early this year.

Looks like he's young enough to bounce back.

Seams like there is a tendency at the first hint of elbow problem in a young pitcher, he goes under knife for TJ and then rehab for the next 18 months.

I've never understood NOT going after BPA in the MLB draft. So much time can pass between drafting a player and his potential call up that it shouldn't matter what position he plays. You always need pitching, MIs and CIs are often times interchangeable at a young age, and OFers are all interchangeable. Moreover, if you can hit, it doesn't matter where you play for the most part. The big club will always make room for a real big league hitter.

Anyway, glad to hear that we may have had a competent draft. Are any of them available to come up next week? :D

Seams like there is a tendency at the first hint of elbow problem in a young pitcher, he goes under knife for TJ and then rehab for the next 18 months.

They waited a good long time on Bundy and Harvey still hasn't been cut.

If anything I think the O's have a tendency to wait a bit too long.

Hopefully they can develop them worth a damn. Glad they went college instead of high school. Our record with high school starters is...

Anyways, this is concerning and cements what most of us have been saying even if Duquette says not to believe people when they say our system is terrible:

PB: Many analysts look at the Orioles' system and don't believe there are many major league caliber arms there. Do you think the team has done enough to restock the system with big league arms?

JC: I think you also look at the Orioles' system and say they don't have whole lot of bats, either. It's not a very good system. Honestly, it's just not. They don't have a lot of prospects. I think you can argue that they just [had] to take the best player available. If that [had] presented itself as bats, that would have been good, too. Because I don't know if you look at the system and see a whole lot of guys that [make you think] 'that guy's a regular.' I'm not sure that they specifically did as a strategy, as opposed to that's the way it just worked out.

Does he like Mancini, Walker and/or Murphy? I wouldn't say they are chopped liver.

1. Who is Murphy?

2. Walker is chopped liver.

3. Yeah, Mancini is OK. Most systems have several players who are better prospects than he is.

Archived