Orioles looking for FSL team

sonderweg

From http://www.ballparkwatch.com/

Orioles looking for FSL team NEW!

Posted May 1, 2008 (feedback) (submit story) (discuss)

The Baltimore Orioles have been quietly casting about for a High Class A Florida State League team, according to several minor-league insiders we've contacted, bringing the team's future in Florida somewhat into focus. The consensus seems to be the Orioles wouldn't place an FSL team in Fort Lauderdale, indicating the team may be giving up hope of receiving approval for a renovated Fort Lauderdale Stadium and a new spring-training complex. The next part of the equation is informed speculation, but it wouldn't surprise anyone if the Orioles are already eying Fort Myers should the Red Sox indeed decamp to Sarasota (a big if at this point, of course) or strongly considering Vero Beach's Dodgertown as a destination. Before you get your hopes up or are disappointed about a team loss, remember all of this is very early in any process: there's no deal for the Red Sox to go to Sarasota (though we've been told the Red Sox are a little more advanced in their spring-training planning than they've let on to the press), and the Orioles haven't totally given up on Fort Lauderdale.

How can we have 2 Class A Advanced teams? Would we make Bowie our AAA team and Frederick AA?

You can't. It means Frederick would be out. They would have to find another affiliate. I wouldn't be surprised - assuming this were to happen - if they would get the Nationals. This area is more Washington-oriented and the stadium at Potomac is even more of a dump than Harry Grove.

But...if that were to happen, then you have to wonder, would Norfolk - also owned by Ken Young - maybe try to go with the Nationals, too? Columbus (the current Nats AAA team) is moving into a new ballpark next year and it's widely assumed that they will affiliate with either the Reds or Indians.

The affiliation shuffle suddenly got interesting.

Could this be a ruse to get Frederick to upgrade Harry Grove or build something new? I thought they did fix the field, though. :confused: Or they could be doing it to put pressure on Ft. Lauderdale. But I thought the problem there was the FAA and not the city. :confused:

Could this be a ruse to get Frederick to upgrade Harry Grove or build something new? I thought they did fix the field, though. :confused: Or they could be doing it to put pressure on Ft. Lauderdale. But I thought the problem there was the FAA and not the city. :confused:

I suspect it's a little of both. The field is fine. The rest of the facilities have not seen any upgrade of note, though. Every year, it's the same ol' story - we're gonna do upgrades this offseason. And it never happens.

Why would we want our A+ team in Florida?

Why not? Only two players have ever been promoted directly from Frederick to Baltimore, so we don't need ready access to the players. Yeah, it'll make shuffling between Bowie and Florida more difficult, but there are plenty of cheap flights from BWI to south Florida.

You can't. It means Frederick would be out. They would have to find another affiliate. I wouldn't be surprised - assuming this were to happen - if they would get the Nationals. This area is more Washington-oriented and the stadium at Potomac is even more of a dump than Harry Grove.

But...if that were to happen, then you have to wonder, would Norfolk - also owned by Ken Young - maybe try to go with the Nationals, too? Columbus (the current Nats AAA team) is moving into a new ballpark next year and it's widely assumed that they will affiliate with either the Reds or Indians.

The affiliation shuffle suddenly got interesting.

I believe a new ballpark is in the works for Potomac.

I believe a new ballpark is in the works for Potomac.

I have been reading that for years, though. I think the owner is willing to put up more money than previously intended, but I think the issue is financial (not ideological) in Prince William County.

That having been said, John is correct - the Nats and Potomac have a good relationship. So it wouldn't be a given that the Nats would depart Potomac for Frederick. It could be some other organization.

And this is, of course, a very big "if" at this stage.

The Nationals and Potomac enjoy a great relationship together. This story is completely baffling and I have very little reason to think Baltimore would want to put a team in the FSL.

Totally thoeretical here, but if they throw a ton of money into a spring facility, maybe they want to recover some of those costs by putting a team at that facility for the rest of the summer.

Totally thoeretical here, but if they throw a ton of money into a spring facility, maybe they want to recover some of those costs by putting a team at that facility for the rest of the summer.

That could be. On the other hand, I believe the parent club owns its team in the FSL, so they (and not a third party owner) would have to provide transportation and travel.

But at the risk of alienating all the fans in Frederick or Delmarva who follow the O's in part because of the farm systems there?

There's a reason the Orioles have their minor league franchises within, for the most part, this area. It was their strategy in the 90's. It's proven to be a good idea. If the next story said that I had been involved in a scorching affair with Carrie Underwood or Mariah Carey, THAT'S the story I'd find more believable.

This article makes little sense to me, without even clicking the link. What's the point of putting an A-level team in Florida, only to have to fly them up to Bowie when they move up. Same thing from Delmarva/Aberdeen when they get promoted. Those plane tickets really add up.

Sorry, but I don't buy it.

This article makes little sense to me, without even clicking the link. What's the point of putting an A-level team in Florida, only to have to fly them up to Bowie when they move up. Same thing from Delmarva/Aberdeen when they get promoted. Those plane tickets really add up.

Sorry, but I don't buy it.

Haven't the Orioles/Keys and Frederick had something of a rocky relationship? I know the playing field was an embarrasment a couple of years back. Still, at first glance, I don't see the advantage of having a FSL affiliate instead of a Carolina League team.

But I suppose there could be a way to make it beneficial. If the team was building a new facility or improving a facility there, could we then get an FSL team to lease the park to get some of that money back? Are there other advantages to having a team down there, weather-wise?

I still wonder about the future of Richmond. Is there any chance Frederick would be considering a move there.

Archived