Recent bullpen woes

Frobby

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2016/06/showalter-on-jimenez-i-would-have-signed-up-for-that.html

"Orioles reliever Vance Worley will throw a bullpen session on Thursday, report to Double-A Bowie on Saturday and pitch in the first game of his injury rehab assignment.

Reliever Darren O?Day will throw off a half-mound on Thursday."

Sounds like Worley will be back possibly a within a week or so of starting his rehab on Saturday (assuming no setbacks). O'Day sounds a little farther away. Maybe another 2-3 weeks I'm guessing?

It's a pretty clear situation. The starters aren't throwing enough innings and we miss O'Day. Take one guy out and it tends to have a cascade effect. This is why I take issue with those advocating trading or non tendering Britton

It's a pretty clear situation. The starters aren't throwing enough innings and we miss O'Day. Take one guy out and it tends to have a cascade effect. This is why I take issue with those advocating trading or non tendering Britton

Britton has had 3 outings in a row where he barely escaped. Maybe it's nothing, but maybe it's something. We got burned by Jim Johnson by going back to him for every save when he suddenly couldn't get anyone out. I have legitimate concerns about Givens and Britton and to a little lesser extent O'Day.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Britton has had 3 outings in a row where he barely escaped. Maybe it's nothing, but maybe it's something. We got burned by Jim Johnson by going back to him for every save when he suddenly couldn't get anyone out. I have legitimate concerns about Givens and Britton and to a little lesser extent O'Day.

I am curious how the new strike zone, if implemented, will impact Britton.

Saying that the bullpen has been struggling since O'day got hurt is pretty misleading. Two performances skew the data;

Ubaldo 6/17 2.1 IP 5 ER

Givens 6/21 0 IP 4 ER

The bullpen has been pretty good/great with O'day out. This is a side effect of not eating Ubaldo's contract and DFA'ing him. He's basically a mop up guy when he's in the pen. Drake should have been up here a week ago and Roe/Beato should have been up last night. Instead Givens and Brach are pitching in every close game and unavailable. Last night was a result of a terrible rotation and how it taxes your pen and guys aren't available.

Who is available tonight?

Brach

Britton-pitched last night

Despaigne-pitched last night

Yea, it's pretty much Tuesday vs. the Padres and ubaldos appearance. Hard to call that any sort of

Ongoing issue with the BP as a whole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a usual Buck defender, I don't buy his management of the pen in yesterday's game. Seems like a lot of saving face. So Brach is so worn out that he couldn't go yesterday, but today he goes 2 IP(35 pitches).

Then Britton pitches in back to back non save situations.

Buck gambled with Givens last night and lost.

Brach pitched 2 innings and threw 34 pitches on 2 days' rest. We don't know that he could have done that the day before on only 1 days' rest.

In Britton's case, he had pitched very little for the week and-a-half prior to those back-to-back outings (between June 10th and June 20th, he had made only 2 appearances, throwing a total of 45 pitches over 2.67 innings.) Bringing him in the day after his worst game of the season with a 5-run lead and nobody on base was a safe way of trying to get him get back on his proverbial horse.

I believe that questioning Showalter's decision not to bring in a rested Oliver Drake sooner (or for that matter, not just having him start the inning with nobody on base and a 3-run lead) is reasonable. But other than that, his choices overall have indeed been very limited lately with the starting rotation being up in the air as much as it has been, and I don't think that citing his usage of Brach and Britton in these last 2 games is necessarily an incrimination of his decisions of his overall bullpen usage. Also, Showalter (and almost everybody else) had no idea that Jimenez would be able to go 6 innings on Tuesday, so that had to be weighing on his mind when he was juggling the pitchers and managing Monday's game as well.

As a usual Buck defender, I don't buy his management of the pen in yesterday's game. Seems like a lot of saving face. So Brach is so worn out that he couldn't go yesterday, but today he goes 2 IP(35 pitches).

Then Britton pitches in back to back non save situations.

Buck gambled with Givens last night and lost.

I was surprised that Buck didn't go with Wilson another inning given the strong inning in the 6th. Also was surprised what a long leash Givens had. It was a weird night for sure.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2016/06/showalter-on-jimenez-i-would-have-signed-up-for-that.html

"Orioles reliever Vance Worley will throw a bullpen session on Thursday, report to Double-A Bowie on Saturday and pitch in the first game of his injury rehab assignment.

Reliever Darren O?Day will throw off a half-mound on Thursday."

Sounds like Worley will be back possibly a within a week or so of starting his rehab on Saturday (assuming no setbacks). O'Day sounds a little farther away. Maybe another 2-3 weeks I'm guessing?

I think a bit sooner for O'Day. My guess is he throws off a full mound this weekend, then goes on a rehab assignment sometime next week.

I think a bit sooner for O'Day. My guess is he throws off a full mound this weekend, then goes on a rehab assignment sometime next week.

Let's hope you're right. Sooner works for me.

You have "legitimate concerns" about Britton? LOL.

I guess he was supposed to go 50 for 50, have a sub .9 ERA, .750 whip for the entire season with not a single hiccup. Perfection!

I'm thinking O'day probably only needs a 2 inning outing for a rehab assignment. Getting Worley and O'day back will be big for the pen.

Archived