Darren O'Day's return uncertain

LookitsPuck

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now with O'Day coming back I really don't care what they do with Bundy.

If they keep him in the pen we will have hands down the most dominant BP in the game with not 1....2....3...but FOUR guys who have completely dominant stuff and are lights out.

If they try to give him a spot start here or there he helps the starting pitching, and we STILL have a fairly dominant pen with 3 elite guys.

Win win obv.

Play it by ear, try to keep Bundy in pen as long as possible. Deal with the starters and wing it for a while, at least til end of summer. I want Bundy locked and loaded for the playoffs, O'Day can help get that done.

I think this has been the real difference in the decline recently. We had bad starting pitching, but a lights out pen. If a starter gave up five runs in five or six innings and was pulled, the pen was holding before and giving the offense a chance. Now, they look overworked and are giving up a few runs of their own. If O'Day was there, we hold up better.

I think this has been the real difference in the decline recently. We had bad starting pitching' date=' but a lights out pen. If a starter gave up five runs in five or six innings and was pulled, the pen was holding before and giving the offense a chance. Now, they look overworked and are giving up a few runs of their own. If O'Day was there, we hold up better.[/quote']

You don't know what you got until you lose it.

George Burton and Paul Hampton, 1961

Should we package O'Day in a package for a starter?

I don't think the current market is too hot for an injured 33-year-old reliever with $25 million left on his contract. Even if he recuperates perfectly, the teams that are looking for veteran set-up men aren't generally offering veteran starters.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">ODay is throwing a bullpen tmrw. Did one yesterday that was great. Big step for him</p>— Brittany Ghiroli (@Britt_Ghiroli) <a href="

">July 15, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Should we package O'Day in a package for a starter?

I appreciate that these are just conversation starters, but the Orioles are not trading from their team to make a run. They are trading from their minors. Or pitchers with 2016 limitations.

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/baltimore-orioles/oday-scheduled-friday-rehab-game-bowie

NEW YORK—Darren O’Day threw 25 pitches in his simulated game on Tuesday, and if there are no ill effects, he’ll go to Bowie on Friday to pitch against Erie.

Manager Buck Showalter said that O’Day, who threw two innings, could be activated on Sunday or Monday.

O’Day has been on the 15-day disabled list since June 3 with a strained right hamstring.

“That was encouraging,” Showalter said of the simulated game.

“Take tomorrow off and then do a lot of conditioning. Thought he got a little winded at the end. Not winded, but kind of, a little spent toward the end. We did a 15-pitch and he stopped for a little while and then did another 10 pitches.”

Showalter isn’t concerned that O’Day would need more than one outing.

“If it was a guy who was going to be asked to pitch four or five, three innings even, yeah, but Darren’s a guy who knows … I’ll tell you, he’s been real crisp in his side sessions. It may bode well for him the rest of the way because you can tell his arm’s pretty fresh,” Showalter said.

“He’ll be about as good as any trade you could make getting him back. I think the sim game we count. He’s had a lot of side sessions. If it was somebody else, you’d probably think about it. It’s not as if he’s going to walk in and you’re going to stick him in the eighth or ninth inning right out of the chute. He’ll have to work his way back into the role that we’re accustomed to him having.”

• 1 month later...

Haven't really heard to much about him since he went on the DL with the shoulder injury. Here is the latest on rotoworld,

O'Day was given a cortisone shot in hopes that it will help alleviate some rotator cuff soreness, but it apparently didn't work. The reliever is eligible for a return on August 27, but he's not going to be ready then. Aug 19 - 3:49 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/mlb/5167/darren-oday

Does he pitch for us again this season?

Haven't really heard to much about him since he went on the DL with the shoulder injury. Here is the latest on rotoworld,

O'Day was given a cortisone shot in hopes that it will help alleviate some rotator cuff soreness, but it apparently didn't work. The reliever is eligible for a return on August 27, but he's not going to be ready then. Aug 19 - 3:49 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/mlb/5167/darren-oday

Does he pitch for us again this season?

nope.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived