So we've turned the page to July. What do we think the offense does now?

Frobby

As I posted elsewhere:

April: 4.70 R/G (3rd in the AL)

May: 4.07 R/G (15th)

June: 6.61 R/G (1st by a landslide)

Overall, we're at 5.17 R/G. That's a lot more than I expected coming into the season. I thought we'd be in the range of 4.50 - 4.65 R/G, which was a .10 - .25 R/G upgrade from 2015. So, are we in store for a major correction?

Well, I think we are in store for a correction, but "major" may not be the right adjective. For one thing, the league as a whole is scoring about .15 R/G more than last year, so that would push my pre-season projection into the 4.65 - 4.80 range to show the improvement I expected relative to the rest of the league. And for another thing, I think the team has just proved to be a bit better than I thought. So, while I think we will end up scoring fewer than the current 5.17 R/G, I'm thinking that going forward we have a good chance to be at the top of my (adjusted) projected range, in the 4.80 R/G vicinity for the remaining 84 games. And if we do that, then the full season ends up very close to 5.00 R/G.

I'm sure we will have another cold spell or two. The key is to limit them to 7-10 games, not an entire month, and to counter them with some more very hot spells. Hopefully, that's what will happen. If so, I think we can make the playoffs even with the mediocre rotation that we have.

At safeco, we will not be as effective. Bad start probably. We are built for Camden yards and we have played a lot of games there. I think the entire team is due for a regression. We aren't as good as our record because we have played a great deal of home games

Hard not to feel really good about it to be honest. I believe on paper it's clearly the best offense in the division and the performance has backed it up.

The Sox can look pretty scary when they're hot but then there's the inexperience factor and a few real uncertainties in the starting 9 that the O's frankly don't have. The Jays are looking pretty old and tired offensively but the starting pitchings bailed them out.

The skies the limit as far as the offense is concerned. Hopefully DD can help qualm some uncertainty with the rotation and add a good arm before the deadline... He'd be crazy not to.

So, we've turned the page to July. What do we think the offense does now?

And so, this is July ...... and what have we done ???

Another month over ...... and a new one just begun.

• 4 weeks later...

So far, the O's are averaging only 3.58 R/G in July, tied for 11th in the AL for the month. It seems like we've snapped out of it a bit the last 3-4 games, so hopefully we can move up the ladder a bit as we head into the final week of the month.

I said in another thread that there's no evidence that we are more streaky than any other team, but I have to admit, the offense has been very streaky.

Archived