Fangraphs: Where Do the Orioles Go From Here?

Can_of_corn

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/where-do-the-orioles-go-from-here/

In the last week, Baltimore went from a three-in-four chance of making the postseason to a coin flip, mostly due to a starting rotation that?s been shaky all season long. Still in first place, the Orioles are obviously a contender, but they?re sliding to the point where a direction needs to be chosen. If they wish to add, the most sensible place is that rotation. That?s where the problem lies. The bigger problem, though, might be the apparent lack of answers on how to fix it.

It isn't a bash piece.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How many times are they going to write the same exact article?

So sick of their "projections"...THAT HAVE BEEN WRONG FOR 4 YEARS. And counting.

Turns out you can be the best in the business and not be perfect. Shocking, I know.

Very fair piece, IMHO. I, too, am fearful that this rotation will cost us a playoff slot. Hopefully, one or two guys that we have currently can step it up a notch. I just don't see us having the pieces to acquire a starter that will make an impact.

Very fair piece, IMHO. I, too, am fearful that this rotation will cost us a playoff slot. Hopefully, one or two guys that we have currently can step it up a notch. I just don't see us having the pieces to acquire a starter that will make an impact.

That's kind of how I see it. We made our bed in the offseason, and now we need to lie in it. Our fate is more likely to depend on how our own guys do the rest of the way than on acquiring someone who has a real impact. That's not to say that DD won't make some moves, but I don't think any such moves will drastically alter our season.

Here's what I don't understand. The Orioles have apparently placed a soft innings count on Dylan Bundy. That seems understandable with his injury history. But then I look at the Pirates. They have Jameson Taillon who's missed two full seasons due to various injuries. So far this season, Taillon has pitched 90 innings and is on pace to pitch over 175 innings this season. I know the Pirates will try to limit Taillon's innings. They've already made a procedural move to put him on the DL so he can skip a start before the all-star break. But it's a virtual certainty that Taillon will pitch well over 100 innings this year. Why is it that the Pirates aren't afraid to let Taillon loose yet the Orioles continue to treat Bundy with kid gloves? What's wrong with putting Bundy in the rotation and having him skip a start every now to keep his arm fresh and his innings down? The Orioles could also put Bundy on a strict pitch count for his first few starts and gradually increase his pitch count as he makes more starts.

I've been saying this since Duquette signed an injured Gallardo, but it begs repeating:

You know the numbers over the last week. Over the last month, it’s still not good, with a 5.52 ERA and a 5.13 FIP. Spanning the whole year, Orioles starters have pitched to a 5.12 ERA and a 4.79 FIP. Starting rotations with an ERA north of 5.00 don’t typically make the postseason. Starting rotations with an ERA north of 5.00 certainly aren’t to be trusted in the postseason, at the very least.

I at least have faith that Duquette won't try and trade for Teheran. But I think that's mostly because the Braves won't want to trade him without an overwhelming haul...and I have to imagine Duquette will be gun shy about trading Bundy, Mancini, Sisco and more.

My prediction? Duquette trades for Jeremy Hellickson. I am worried, however, that it'll be Duquette (one of the worst traders) trading with Andy MacPhail (one of the best). Duquette is in a position of weakness: not many prospects, no starting pitching depth. And MacPhail a position of weakness: low expectation ballclub that holds all the cards.

Hellickson won't help much. But he'd round out the end of the rotation.

I'm hoping Duquette gets creative and finds a way to unload Jimenez, but it's probably best that he's just DFA'd. We can't have him clogging up a roster spot when he can't pitch either in relief or as a starter.

Adding Hellickson and dropping Jimenez is an improvement. But you still have 2 spots in the middle that are highly questionable: Gallardo and the recently relegated Tyler Wilson.

My guess is they only add a Hellickson type and keep the revolving door of Miranda, Gunkel, Despaigne, etc. in the 5th spot. So:

Chris Tillman

Kevin Gausman

Yovani Gallardo

Jeremy Hellickson

Ariel Miranda/Joe Gunkel/Odrisamer Despaigne/Vance Worley

That's an ugly rotation. But it's no longer a 3 on a scale of 3 (worst) to 10 (best)...maybe it's a 4. Or 5 if Gallardo comes around.

You read five other articles suggesting the O's should be looking at defensive upgrades?

Sources please.

Do you agree with that premise. Hardy's out for a month or whatever and now he's back. Do you think we need to upgrade our infield defense? What do you do with the odd man out?

Archived