MLB looking at limits for relief pitchers

esmd

I'm in a conspiracy theory mood, so here goes:

Rob Manfred hates the Orioles because they aren't letting him get away with his attempts to undo the MASN deal.

So to get back at them, he wants to change the rules to limit the role of managers, because the Orioles have the best manager in baseball.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm considering going door-to-door in my neighborhood and asking everybody to give me $1,000 apiece, because I'm such a swell guy.

I don't think that I would have much success with it, but I'm considering it.

I might give you $1 if you say please. :P

Why would you agree to the passage of a rule that directly prevents basic strategy from being deployed?

Because the strategy isn't that interesting and multiple pitching changes in an inning is incredibly boring. I'd vote to limit pitching changes during innings without any hesitation.

Last season the team that scored first won 70% of the time, which was the highest figure since the year before they lowered the mound. Thinking about a rule change to combat super effective relievers is fine, I just think it needs to be gone about wisely.

Unusual that baseball sees this as a problem. The commish considering a restriction of number of relievers used in a game. "They're so good they rob action in the last few innings of a game"

While I'm not sure I agree that MLB should change the rules to address it, I do think the era of the dominant bullpens has made baseball more boring. It would be interesting to look at stats across the decades and see what the ERA was in the last 3 innings of games, and how often teams came from behind in the last three innings compared to now. Right now you have 4 relievers with ERA's under 1.00 and 18 with ERA's under 2.00. Ten years ago, there were 2 pitchers under 1.00 and 9 under 2.00. In 2006 you had 28 relievers with a K rate over 10.0, now there are 51. I think it makes the game a lot less interesting.

Good luck getting it past the MLBPA.

Why would you have to get it by MLBPA as you would say make a relief pitcher pitch to at least 3 batters why would the players association care about that.

I think it is good news. Who wants to wait for constant pitching changes? It is boring. If you can't get both left handers and right handers out well then too bad you will be replaced with someone who can. Or maybe more pinch hitters.

Count me in the this is a terrible idea camp. I agree that Pace of Play is an issue that needs to be addressed, but there are other things that need to be done. Enforce the 12 second rule. Get rid of replay. The only time there should be a stoppage is for injury and for the manager to make a pitching change.

I am not sure how this would be implemented, but such a rule in place is going to cause pitchers to get hurt because they will be left in too long.

The funniest thing to me is that John Farrell is quoted in the article. That guy manages the most boring team in all of MLB.

I like limiting the reliever changes but I would also suggest eliminating replay, eliminating coaches and managers coming on to the field. If a pitcher is struggling he needs to work it out on his own. I don't see why a manager needs to come out to make a pitching change. How about no pitching changes within an inning unless the pitcher is injured? And then if he is injured he can't pitch the next 2 games.

While I'm not sure I agree that MLB should change the rules to address it, I do think the era of the dominant bullpens has made baseball more boring. It would be interesting to look at stats across the decades and see what the ERA was in the last 3 innings of games, and how often teams came from behind in the last three innings compared to now. Right now you have 4 relievers with ERA's under 1.00 and 18 with ERA's under 2.00. Ten years ago, there were 2 pitchers under 1.00 and 9 under 2.00. In 2006 you had 28 relievers with a K rate over 10.0, now there are 51. I think it makes the game a lot less interesting.

I think it is boring as you have to wait several minutes every time a pitcher changes. That is why it is boring. I don't care how good they pitch. But I would prefer to go back to times of pitchers pitching complete games consistently and having more pinch hitters. Coaches try to ruin every sport that is why you need rules changes. The NFL is good at changing rules and even the NHL changes them a lot. I don't see why people are so against rule changes in baseball.

It's simply an era. Things come and go. This will, too. One of the great things about baseball is that is has largely been allowed to grow and change rather organically. Sure, rules get changed from time to time. But changing or creating a rule because some folks get "bored" isn't a viable reason whatsoever.

It's simply an era. Things come and go. This will, too. One of the great things about baseball is that is has largely been allowed to grow and change rather organically. Sure, rules get changed from time to time. But changing or creating a rule because some folks get "bored" isn't a viable reason whatsoever.

When that boredom leads to less revenue, it's the most viable reason.

I think MLB needs to be careful because the whole game could change. We are almost getting to the point with some teams now where it's a rarity that runs are scored after the 6th inning. That could continue to expand to where the starter becomes less of a factor. You could almost create a staff with 12 pitchers that all have multiple arm angles, left, right, hard soft and almost do away with starters. Every pitcher on the roster would almost be like a specialty pitcher and never faces a lineup a second time through. If that happens the game changes from the way we really have known it. I really think that this is something that isn't that far off.

MLB revenues are expanding at a healthy rate. People are going to the ballparks. Outside of the Commissioner's office, complaints about the length of the game seem vanishingly faint to my ear. Manfred needs a hobby. Preferably one dealing with lots of bright shiny objects.

Archived