We have had discussions with MIN re: Santana and Abad

Sir_Loin

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Despite the examples of success, most big money deals for starters don't work out and the point about risk diversification is still valid. I said at the time, we should have resigned Andrew Miller. I regret that more than letting Cruz go

Despite the examples of success, most big money deals for starters don't work out and the point about risk diversification is still valid. I said at the time, we should have resigned Andrew Miller. I regret that more than letting Cruz go

Most big money/long term deals for relief pitchers don't work out either.

Most long term/big money deals for free agents don't work out.

It's the nature of the beast.

I'm in favor of avoiding them in general.

Most big money/long term deals for relief pitchers don't work out either.

Most long term/big money deals for free agents don't work out.

It's the nature of the beast.

I'm in favor of avoiding them in general.

I agree but I don't call millers deal a big money deal

I agree but I don't call millers deal a big money deal

Miller's deal is actually a bargain now. That's why he probably has more value than Chapman, if that's possible.

That offseason coming off the ALCS was a terrible one for the franchise. The Toronto fiasco with DD. 20/20 hindsight and all, but if we re sign Miller and Cruz then we don't make the trade for Parra. Davies would have beaten out Wright. Swap their numbers and we don't give away so many games when our offense was mashing. But I think pretty much everyone on this board knows that. Now we're just going to have to buy a back end starter to keep the rotation patched together.

Miller's deal is actually a bargain now. That's why he probably has more value than Chapman, if that's possible.

That offseason coming off the ALCS was a terrible one for the franchise. The Toronto fiasco with DD. 20/20 hindsight and all, but if we re sign Miller and Cruz then we don't make the trade for Parra. Davies would have beaten out Wright. Swap their numbers and we don't give away so many games when our offense was mashing. But I think pretty much everyone on this board knows that. Now we're just going to have to buy a back end starter to keep the rotation patched together.

A big part of the reason the deal looks good now is that Miller has been startlingly effective and reasonably healthy. Both of those issues were in doubt a couple of years ago.

A big part of the reason the deal looks good now is that Miller has been startlingly effective and reasonably healthy. Both of those issues were in doubt a couple of years ago.

Very true. Girardi did try to pitch his elbow off last year.

Not a lot of talk about Abad. I wonder what it would take to get just him. If we got him, Roe would be likely be DFA'd. Roe has value. I wonder if Roe + prospect gets it done. Roe could be a cheap bullpen piece for them. And by prospect I mean a Walker, Yaz, Marin, Bridwell, Means type.

It's going to cost a lot of money to re-sign him (think Ubaldo money) plus his value is at its absolute highest point and the Orioles could get quite a haul for him which will help them re-stock the farm system. But it's not going to happen so it's pointless to speculate about it.

He has 2 1/2 more years of team control. No way you trade him.

He has 2 1/2 more years of team control. No way you trade him.

Plus no team that is in the race is going to trade us what we would need for him. Starting pitching.

Sure let's just scrap having one of the best records in baseball and trade him to the Rangers for Profar and Gallo.

Plus no team that is in the race is going to trade us what we would need for him. Starting pitching.

Sure let's just scrap having one of the best records in baseball and trade him to the Rangers for Profar and Gallo.

If the Rangers did call and said the wanted Britton for Gallo and Profar, you do the deal, cause in the off season all you are going to get is Jemile Weeks and a PTBNL.

If the Rangers did call and said the wanted Britton for Gallo and Profar, you do the deal, cause in the off season all you are going to get is Jemile Weeks and a PTBNL.

There are so many reasons that Britton is not 2013 Jim Johnson...I don't know if I have time to list them.

There are so many reasons that Britton is not 2013 Jim Johnson...I don't know if I have time to list them.

The Nationals maybe very desperate for a closer though. I know they have had talks around Davis with pitchers like Ross and even Giolitto.

Archived