We have had discussions with MIN re: Santana and Abad

Sir_Loin

Overboard is thinking that the O's were a contending team last year (they weren't, IMHO) and buying high on a player that was ready to regress (Parra) by giving up a part that most likely could have been part of the rotation this year.

The Orioles were leading for the 2nd wildcard race as late as August 17th. In addition, they were tied with the Blue Jays six games behind the Yankees in the division at the time of the trade. The Blue Jays would go on the win the division by six games. It is very easy to say after the fact that the Orioles should not of traded Davis for Parra but much more difficult to do nothing when they were right in the middle of the race.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Orioles were leading for the 2nd wildcard race as late as August 17th. In addition, they were tied with the Blue Jays six games behind the Yankees in the division at the time of the trade. The Blue Jays would go on the win the division by six games. It is very easy to say after the fact that the Orioles should not of traded Davis for Parra but much more difficult to do nothing when they were right in the middle of the race.

It was very easy for me to say it when it happened.

Parra was the epitome of a prime candidate for regression.

It was very easy for me to say it when it happened.

Parra was the epitome of a prime candidate for regression.

Yep, as much as I like and support Duquette, I completely agree. I did not necessarily disagree with making a move, but that one felt bad from the start. It felt like a panic move, and it did not work out well.

Oh well, that's over and done with, just have to try to do better this year.

There was a tweet from a SD writer, but that is all I have seen as confirmation.
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal Jul 26

Sources: #Orioles offered Jimenez and two minor leaguers to #Padres for Upton. Deal believed to have broken down over finances.

This is what everyone is referring to. SD writer came in afterwards and confirmed.

I think if they make a deal for some pitching or stand pat, I would seriously consider trading Britton this off season. That thought may be adjusted if, and how far a play-off run goes, but with the talent being moved for closers it would be hard not to consider it. I bring that up as a thought to introduce new talent into the organization to replace some of the trade pieces.

I remember saying that move wouldn't move the needle. But not only did he regress. He under performed his career numbers.

No one predicted -1.1 WAR, that would have been crazy. I did state that he might not even be an upgrade on what they were already running out there.

He might very well have been the worst player in MLB during the time he was with the O's.

I think if they make a deal for some pitching or stand pat, I would seriously consider trading Britton this off season. That thought may be adjusted if, and how far a play-off run goes, but with the talent being moved for closers it would be hard not to consider it. I bring that up as a thought to introduce new talent into the organization to replace some of the trade pieces.

100% agree. After seeing what a couple of months arolfis just got, britton could bring in a hell of a haul. Brach, oday, givens, and a plethora of nice potential bp arms coming up.

100% agree. After seeing what a couple of months arolfis just got, britton could bring in a hell of a haul. Brach, oday, givens, and a plethora of nice potential bp arms coming up.

A lot of people (including myself) have been advocating this, but when have you ever seen Duquette sell high on a guy?

No one predicted -1.1 WAR, that would have been crazy. I did state that he might not even be an upgrade on what they were already running out there.

He might very well have been the worst player in MLB during the time he was with the O's.

I've been wary or trading for NL players mid season for a few years now. Signing them to FA deals is fine as they will have plenty of time to adjust. But I just don't think the NL has the same talent level as the AL. I know that's a bold statement but losing interleague for 12 straight years is a pretty big sample size.

Why don't the Orioles consider trading Wieters for prospects or in an effort to acquire a decent starter? He is basically gone after this season so may as well get something for him. Caleb Joseph is good enough in my opinion to hold it down for the rest of this season and the organization is deep at the position for the future. Moving Wieters wouldn't really weaken this team much in my opinion.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Chance Sisco <a href="https://twitter.com/chance_sis12">@chance_sis12</a> is rolling with 5 games of 3 hits or more in his last 11 games. Leading <a href="https://twitter.com/EasternLeague">@EasternLeague</a> with .327 average.</p>— Adam Pohl (@PohlAdam) <a href="

">July 27, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Chance Sisco <a href="https://twitter.com/chance_sis12">@chance_sis12</a> is rolling with 5 games of 3 hits or more in his last 11 games. Leading <a href="https://twitter.com/EasternLeague">@EasternLeague</a> with .327 average.</p>— Adam Pohl (@PohlAdam) <a href="

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Buck said Duquette has brought him a few trade possibilities but nothing in imminent. Guys they'd like but not for current price. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a></p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

That's one person's speculation, mind you.

I still think it's more likely that we see Mancini go, being that we're shored up DH and Chris Davis will be at first base for the next 7 years. Sisco fills an immediate need as soon as next year.

That's a scary thought - Davis for 6 more years. My goodness.Currently, I want him moved to #7 or #8 in the lineup (Alvarez movedup) and this is when he's in his prime. Imagine how loud the boos will bein 5 years.

I have a question for you WAR guys. In the paper a week or two ago, they had the WAR listed for various players and I saw Davis' is higher than Trumbo's. How is that possible?

ON a related note, can someone tell me why Seattle was looking to give Trumbo away over the winter for $8 million and yet we had to offer $17 million per year for 7 years to get Davis.

I feel like having a catcher that can hit is a huge advantage these days. Just think of the teams that have had success in recent years... Giants, Royals, Cardinals, Orioles, Blue Jays. All catchers that can hit at or near the middle of a lineup.

Archived