We have had discussions with MIN re: Santana and Abad

Sir_Loin

The Nationals maybe very desperate for a closer though. I know they have had talks around Davis with pitchers like Ross and even Giolitto.

Is this from a source? I thought I heard they are not willing to give up Ross, Giolito, Turner and Lopez; which is what everyone is asking for.

This is why they lost out on chapman and probably won't get anyone like Miller or Davis.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is this from a source? I thought I heard they are not willing to give up Ross, Giolito, Turner and Lopez; which is what everyone is asking for.

This is why they lost out on chapman and probably won't get anyone like Miller or Davis.

They didn't want to give up ross for a rental but some believe with Davis having another year on his contract at 10 million they would move Ross. I think Giolito is what the Royals are looking at but Ross would be more likely.

That's what i heard.

There are so many reasons that Britton is not 2013 Jim Johnson...I don't know if I have time to list them.

I agree with you.

Britton this offseason will be younger, lefthanded, with a 20% higher groundball percentage, averaging 3 more mph on his fastball, with three more strikeouts per nine innings, and a (as of now 0 vs 9 blown saves) much better save percentage - knock on wood- than Jim Johnson had when he was traded. Jim Johnson was one of my favorite Orioles, but Britton has much greater value.

I agree with you.

Britton this offseason will be younger, lefthanded, with a 20% higher groundball percentage, averaging 3 more mph on his fastball, with three more strikeouts per nine innings, and a (as of now 0 vs 9 blown saves) much better save percentage - knock on wood- than Jim Johnson had when he was traded. Jim Johnson was one of my favorite Orioles, but Britton has much greater value.

Don't forget the extra year of team control.

I thought he was an FA after next season, not the year after. I'd be for keeping him until next offseason then. I just think it'd be smart to move him and get a haul, especially with our farm problems. Love Britton as much as the next guy but if we don't plan on locking him up, we have pieces in the pen that can attempt to replace him/arms in the minors who look to have big potential as late inning arms...that's one thing we really can develop.

I thought he was an FA after next season, not the year after. I'd be for keeping him until next offseason then. I just think it'd be smart to move him and get a haul, especially with our farm problems. Love Britton as much as the next guy but if we don't plan on locking him up, we have pieces in the pen that can attempt to replace him/arms in the minors who look to have big potential as late inning arms...that's one thing we really can develop.

He's a super two.

1- He's a Super 2 and a Boras client. This makes him unlikely to extend long term and his salary will be going up sharply over the next two seasons.

2- Changes to the strike zone. They are seriously considering raising the strike zone, Zach throws a sinking fastball ~90% of the time and it is possible he will be adversely affected.

3- The O's currently have limited means of adding talent to either the major or minor league rosters. Zach could bring back an infusion of talent that would ultimately exceed his own impact.

4- The O's appear to have both in house candidates to replace Zach as well as a system that looks to be proficient in producing quality relief pitchers.

5- It is rare for a closer's string of dominance to exceed a few seasons.

Like that game against KC in the playoffs. I remember the ump calling something like 13 balls in a row on Britton.

Like that game against KC in the playoffs. I remember the ump calling something like 13 balls in a row on Britton.

He also had issues with the pitch getting called a strike when he was starting.

Not saying it is going to happen, just something to think about.

Archived