We have had discussions with MIN re: Santana and Abad

Sir_Loin

We can't take on salary and then give up Mancini and Sisco. It's not that they're untouchable, it's just that they're near mlb ready and we need them as cheap replacements for MW and Trumbo.

Personnally, I don't think Chance Sisco will ever be a ML catcher. There's a much better chance, IMO, that he spends considerable time in Bowie and Norfolk next year preparing to become Kim's replacement in LF in 2018.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Personnally, I don't think Chance Sisco will ever be a ML catcher. There's a much better chance, IMO, that he spends considerable time in Bowie and Norfolk next year preparing to become Kim's replacement in LF in 2018.

Have you watched him play? I don't know about his game calling and pitch framing, but his surface numbers are not bad: .991 fielding percentage, 4 errors, only 4 passed balls. 27 percent caught stealing. All improved from a year ago.

In comparison, Jonah Heim, whose defense is raved about is at: .989, 7 errors, 12 passed balls, and 34 percent caught stealing.

Everything I've read is that he is a hard worker behind the plate. I haven't seen him play recently, but it seems like he has a good chance at sticking at catcher. If he can play average defense there you could have a really good player.

Have you watched him play? I don't know about his game calling and pitch framing, but his surface numbers are not bad: .991 fielding percentage, 4 errors, only 4 passed balls. 27 percent caught stealing. All improved from a year ago.

In comparison, Jonah Heim, whose defense is raved about is at: .989, 7 errors, 12 passed balls, and 34 percent caught stealing.

Everything I've read is that he is a hard worker behind the plate. I haven't seen him play recently, but it seems like he has a good chance at sticking at catcher. If he can play average defense there you could have a really good player.

IMO, I want a plus defender behind the plate.

Bats can be moved to less valuable positions, ie, 1st or COF.

How does that make sense? Hader is still in the minors and Ubaldo was signed before Davies was traded.

Hader wouldn't be in the minors if he was with us and I get that Ubaldo was signed before we traded Davies. But you signed Jimenez because you had no faith in your starting pitching. The Orioles have been put in bad situations because they have traded away better prospects to get mediocre guy who can help for a playoff push. I think that is shortsighted and it has hurt the team. I know our top two guys were injured, but we have given away Arrieta, Strop, Hader, Davies and Edguardo Rodriguez. I know that Rodriguez has struggled, but if you count what we gave up for guys we didn't keep and what we have lost to sign guys to replace what they could have been then you can add multiple highly drafted prospects to what was lost as well. It is just dumb business for a team like the Orioles.

I say roll with what we have. There's always August.

Hellickson isn't worth Sisco, Mancini, T.Scott, O.Peralta, Mountcastle, Wilson, Peluffo, or Reyes.

The best I would offer them is Cleavinger/Meisenger or a couple guys from the bunch of Wright, Gunkel, Hess, Means, Walker, D.Alvarez, Alvarado, Marin, Stewart.

I'm not sure Scott's worth is more than a comp pick.

I'd put it about even with a comp pick. Phillies probably rather pick their own guy.

Lets say T.Scott reaches the majors next season and we have 6.5 cost controlled years. His floor is probably Matusz(good matusz) as a reliever and his ceiling is a MLB closer.

An average to good LH RP gets paid around 4-5 million on the open market. Closers get 10ish. That's a lot of value. Especially for a team that is built on having a strong pen.

I've only seen Sisco catch during the futures game. But this is a guy that played shortstop in HS. He's not some slow, plodding, nonathletic dude. What exactly is holding him back?

Lets say T.Scott reaches the majors next season and we have 6.5 cost controlled years. His floor is probably Matusz(good matusz) as a reliever and his ceiling is a MLB closer.

An average to good LH RP gets paid around 4-5 million on the open market. Closers get 10ish. That's a lot of value. Especially for a team that is built on having a strong pen.

I've only seen Sisco catch during the futures game. But this is a guy that played shortstop in HS. He's not some slow, plodding, nonathletic dude. What exactly is holding him back?

Has he had more than his share of injuries?

Has he had more than his share of injuries?

Nope. He just turned 21 in AA. Everyone is still going off the scouting report when he was drafted. The same scouting report that said he wasn't a 2nd rd pick.

He wasn't a full time C in high school. Why? Because you play your best athlete at SS in high school. Insert Earl Weaver quote.

He's obviously good. Look at his numbers. So why penalize him because he's athletic and played other positions in High School? So really he's only been catching since we drafted him. That and leading whatever league he is in for batting avg.

IMO, I want a plus defender behind the plate.

Bats can be moved to less valuable positions, ie, 1st or COF.

Maybe he can be a plus defender in time. Caleb Joseph was considered a hit first, poor defensive catcher for much of his minor league career.

I want a plus bat at catcher because that is the hardest position to find it. It's the reason Mike Piazza is in the HOF.

Maybe he can be a plus defender in time. Caleb Joseph was considered a hit first, poor defensive catcher for much of his minor league career.

I want a plus bat at catcher because that is the hardest position to find it. It's the reason Mike Piazza is in the HOF.

How many rings does Piazza have?

Like Jeter, Jeter didn't make the HOF for his defensive skills, but his bat.

I want a plus defender at catcher, and if he can hit, then that's gravy.

Not too many Johnny Benches sitting around.

How many rings does Piazza have?

Like Jeter, Jeter didn't make the HOF for his defensive skills, but his bat.

I want a plus defender at catcher, and if he can hit, then that's gravy.

Not too many Johnny Benches sitting around.

Both Jeter and Jeter have made the HoF already?

I hadn't thought either of them had.

:P

Overboard is thinking that the O's were a contending team last year (they weren't, IMHO) and buying high on a player that was ready to regress (Parra) by giving up a part that most likely could have been part of the rotation this year.

LookitsPuck for the win! Absolutely right!

Archived