We have had discussions with MIN re: Santana and Abad

Sir_Loin

Why don't the Orioles consider trading Wieters for prospects or in an effort to acquire a decent starter? He is basically gone after this season so may as well get something for him. Caleb Joseph is good enough in my opinion to hold it down for the rest of this season and the organization is deep at the position for the future. Moving Wieters wouldn't really weaken this team much in my opinion.

You answered your own question. Wieters as you said is free agent end of season and thus why no team is trading prospects or decent starter for him.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not sure if you are referring to me or not but trading from a strength could be a way to restock the cabinets. I wouldn't entertain it during the season though.

No. But I do agree with you completely on this statement.

No, not typically. The last time we sold high on a player we got Chris Davis. The time before that we got Adam Jones and Chris Tillman.

We have three or four guys on the team who could potentially close. It makes sense.

When we were a stone loser. Stone.

You answered your own question. Wieters as you said is free agent end of season and thus why no team is trading prospects or decent starter for him.

I don't think a contending team has ever traded their starting catcher. Rapport with the pitchers is too important.

Caleb is a zero with the bat and it's not the time to call up a rookie catcher, so no reason to even consider moving Wieters.

They won't weaken the BP. Especially if they don't aquire a SP. We saw what it was like without O'Day. It exposed guys like Givens etc. I like a Brach, O'Day, and Britton pitching innings 7-9.

I'm not advocating dealing Britton now. The offseason. Get a young starter with some upside and a top 100 prospect or two.

100% agree. After seeing what a couple of months arolfis just got, britton could bring in a hell of a haul. Brach, oday, givens, and a plethora of nice potential bp arms coming up.

I realize this is the conventional wisdom on this board. What none of you seem to get is that Britton makes all the set up guys better. I think average starters and a shut down pen is the way to go in today's baseball economics

I realize this is the conventional wisdom on this board. What none of you seem to get is that Britton makes all the set up guys better. I think average starters and a shut down pen is the way to go in today's baseball economics

Would you rather have four Britons or one Price?

Could someone explain why we should trade Britton either now or in the offseason? Enlighten me on the pros for trading him because I'm not aware of the upside to this move nor the urgency but I'm willing to listen to such rationale. Thanks.

There is no pros to trading an elite closer. :)

Could someone explain why we should trade Britton either now or in the offseason? Enlighten me on the pros for trading him because I'm not aware of the upside to this move nor the urgency but I'm willing to listen to such rationale. Thanks.

1- He's a Super 2 and a Boras client. This makes him unlikely to extend long term and his salary will be going up sharply over the next two seasons.

2- Changes to the strike zone. They are seriously considering raising the strike zone, Zach throws a sinking fastball ~90% of the time and it is possible he will be adversely affected.

3- The O's currently have limited means of adding talent to either the major or minor league rosters. Zach could bring back an infusion of talent that would ultimately exceed his own impact.

4- The O's appear to have both in house candidates to replace Zach as well as a system that looks to be proficient in producing quality relief pitchers.

5- It is rare for a closer's string of dominance to exceed a few seasons.

Price is making 30M next year.

So it is going to be a lot closer to three Brittons.

By 2018 it might be two Brittons.

Price is pitching like a below average starter in the first year of a 7 year contract. Paying 3 Brittons is not only more cost effective, it diversifies the risk. I can't remember any stud starter who got paid big bucks that has been worth the money

Price is pitching like a below average starter in the first year of a 7 year contract. Paying 3 Brittons is not only more cost effective, it diversifies the risk. I can't remember any stud starter who got paid big bucks that has been worth the money

What about Scherzer and Strasburg?

Sabathia the first time around. Kershaw currently.

It's going to cost a lot of money to re-sign him (think Ubaldo money) plus his value is at its absolute highest point and the Orioles could get quite a haul for him which will help them re-stock the farm system. But it's not going to happen so it's pointless to speculate about it.

Archived