We have had discussions with MIN re: Santana and Abad

Sir_Loin

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1- He's a Super 2 and a Boras client. This makes him unlikely to extend long term and his salary will be going up sharply over the next two seasons.

2- Changes to the strike zone. They are seriously considering raising the strike zone, Zach throws a sinking fastball ~90% of the time and it is possible he will be adversely affected.

3- The O's currently have limited means of adding talent to either the major or minor league rosters. Zach could bring back an infusion of talent that would ultimately exceed his own impact.

4- The O's appear to have both in house candidates to replace Zach as well as a system that looks to be proficient in producing quality relief pitchers.

5- It is rare for a closer's string of dominance to exceed a few seasons.

In house candidates?

You mean like Tommy Hunter for JJ?

Closers is a very special mindset, and not every solid set-up guy, can make that transition.

In house candidates?

You mean like Tommy Hunter for JJ?

Closers is a very special mindset, and not every solid set-up guy, can make that transition.

History has show us that many can. Those that can't are the exception not the rule.

You don't think O'Day can close?

Price is pitching like a below average starter in the first year of a 7 year contract. Paying 3 Brittons is not only more cost effective, it diversifies the risk. I can't remember any stud starter who got paid big bucks that has been worth the money

Kershaw and Hernandez are the only two that come to mind. They both still have a ways to go, but so far so good.

Edit: Hamels has been pretty good too.

History has show us that many can. Those that can't are the exception not the rule.

You don't think O'Day can close?

History has also showed several that couldn't.

Nobody gave Britton much thought about closer, since he hadnt been a good reliever.

O'Day could probably do it, yes, you are right. But, you also have to replace him in his role.

Givens, would be a logical choice for possible closer, but, he has to pitch better consistency.

History has also showed several that couldn't.

Nobody gave Britton much thought about closer, since he hadnt been a good reliever.

O'Day could probably do it, yes, you are right. But, you also have to replace him in his role.

Givens, would be a logical choice for possible closer, but, he has to pitch better consistency.

Sure, several can't.

Most seem to be able to.

There is significant turnover in the "closer" role and the average shelf life isn't very long.

Kershaw never hit free agency, and was like Strasburg, resigned before getting a chance.

He said big money deals not working out. There are 4 or 5 that I can see that have worked out, free agent or not.

He said big money deals not working out. There are 4 or 5 that I can see that have worked out, free agent or not.
ok, so you have a few studs that prove to be worth the high $$$$, but a majority ends up a mistake.

I think that most teams know that overall long term big money deals are not going to be winners. They agree to them for the short term benefits.

I'm certainly not advocating the O's agree to any of them.

Heck I didn't like the O'Day or Davis deals.

Archived