O's acquire Steve Pearce for Jonah Heim

McLovin

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't care what he does or doesn't take kindly to. I didn't take kindly to him being suspended for our 2014 playoff run either. If he's not playing well, at some point, he needs to sit. I think the plus side of getting him hot makes it worth it to play him but i'm not opposed to eventually sitting him or moving him down in the order if Pearce is red hot.

He is playing very well defensively and contributing both there and in getting on base despite being in a terrible slump. Not just from attitude standpoint that I meant wouldn't take kindly to sitting, but I don't think his slump resolves effectively without continuing to play every day. Chris is what he is, he will break out at some point. Fortunately, Buck does care what CD does and doesn't take kindly to.

Interesting way to look at Miley. A team could pinch hit a lefty but it forces them to use a bench player.

In late innings, no LOOGY will be used. It is DOD, Brach, Britton most all the time. So really the so called LOOGY situations would be fewer and only be in 5th and 6th innings, which could easily be met by leveraging Ondrusek there (or even Worley or Bundy).

Not sure I can even evaluate this move objectively. Like Koji, Pearce was one of my favorite Orioles of recent history. Wish we had just brought him back in the first place. Would much rather have had Pearce/Trumbo than Trumbo + the 160 million dollar man.

In late innings, no LOOGY will be used. It is DOD, Brach, Britton most all the time. So really the so called LOOGY situations would be fewer and only be in 5th and 6th innings, which could easily be met by leveraging Ondrusek there (or even Worley or Bundy).

The other night in Minnesota they could have used a loogy. Buck some nights could use one in the 5th inning. Not all guys will be available every game.

Reimold and Pearce on the roster is redundant.

Ubaldo will never bite the dust unless it's mid season next year. He'll be stashed in the bullpen only to be used in blowouts or until the last possible option in an extra innings game. When September comes around, he'll be further buried.

Why are they redundant? Kim and Alvarez don't play vs lefties.

Another thing I like about this move is it shows a certain amount of humility on the part of DD. In hindsight, he almost certainly should have brought Pearce back. He didn't, and I think most GMs in Dan's position wouldn't even consider Pearce. I like the willingness to eat crow.

So the depth he provides and roster flexibility can be measured with WAR? What if there is an injury? He has been an everyday player in spurts.

His splits this season are rather pronounced, and his career high for at bats is 338, that doesn't say everyday player.

That being said, almost six wins in 338 at bats? Nuts!

Because Reimold barely plays as it is.

Reimold is the only one on the current roster who can fill in if Adam needs to leave a game or take 1 day off.

Reimold and Pearce will both play vs LHP.

I expect we will go back to 12 pitchers, with Worley remaining as one long man and the other one coming from a choice of Ubaldo, Wilson, and Despaigne. Wilson and Despaigne can both be optioned.

Another thing I like about this move is it shows a certain amount of humility on the part of DD. In hindsight, he almost certainly should have brought Pearce back. He didn't, and I think most GMs in Dan's position wouldn't even consider Pearce. I like the willingness to eat crow.

Or give Buck what he wants. Either way it does show positive flexibility on DD's part.

Mixed feelings on this one. I like Pearce, but he's a rental and is only going to play part time. I guess I don't care that much about Heim given the depth we have at catcher in the minors, but I do think he'll be a viable back-up some day. So I'm about neutral on this one.

He is capable of being an everyday player and his glove is better than Reimold and and Trumbo, insurance depth as well.

Archived