Kim tonight

Frobby

I looked it up later and found a site saying Pearce was 2 for 12 lifetime against Scherzer (with a homer).

Oh well, nothing against Pearce, but I just think the line-up gets far more one dimensional without Kim's bat.

I think Scherzer is susceptible to the long ball, and Buck loaded the lineup with his bigger bats.

If it works, Buck is a genius, if it doesn, which it didn't, then he is a fool.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't disagree with it being a small sample size, but at the same time, is that logic so terrible? Pearce is a decent fastball hitter, has faced Sherzer a couple of times, and has held his own. Kim (who I've been a big advocate for from day 1) has what history vs. Scherzer?
Kim has no history with any pitcher he faces. Hasn't seemed to bother him so far.

Good question. Why not? Even if he is a pitcher. I remember a pitcher who batted .300 alot. He pinch hit all the time in games he wasn't pitching. He even led his team in batting once.

He was an all star pitcher. And he is in the hall of fame. Any else know who I'm talking about? ;)

Don Larsen. I remember Casey had him pinch-hit in the 9th inning of a 1956 game vs the O's. Don Ferrarese had a no-hitter through 8 innings, ruined by a

lead off infield single by Andy Carey in the bottom of the ninth. Larsen was sent up to pinch hit and fouled out. Ferrarese & the O's held on for a 1-0 win.

vs. RHP

Kim - .344/.414/.472, .886 OPS, 4HR

Pearce - .283/.355/.452, .807 OPS, 6HR

Once again, the guy with the highest BA and OBP on the team sitting on the bench not to mention one of the best hitters in the league vs RHP. He sat Kim against Lopez, too. I really truly don't get it. What's the guy

have to do? He shouldn't be on the bench ever and certainly and now he's being benched against RHP again? Kim is always the first one to be bumped out of the lineup even if he's the best on the team at getting on

base. He gets brought in the game in the ninth yesterday and almost hits a home run to center field. It just makes Buck look silly benching him at all for any reason and now twice against RHP in the Nats series.

vs. RHP

Once again, the guy with the highest BA and OBP on the team sitting on the bench not to mention one of the best hitters in the league vs RHP. He sat Kim against Lopez, too. I really truly don't get it. What's the guy

have to do? He shouldn't be on the bench ever and certainly and now he's being benched against RHP again? Kim is always the first one to be bumped out of the lineup even if he's the best on the team at getting on

base. He gets brought in the game in the ninth yesterday and almost hits a home run to center field. It just makes Buck look silly benching him at all for any reason and now twice against RHP in the Nats series.

I like Pearce and Alvarez better. But Kim is a nice feature for the team to have as well.

vs. RHP

Kim also works the count better than most other players. Having high pitch count at bats would have been a good addition last night. I don't really get why we traded for Pearce. He has .289 OBP last year so there is no way you think he could

keep hitting like he was hitting. I don't understand why we don't learn our lesson with guys like Pearce and Reimold.

Steve Pearce in 12 games since becoming an O this year: .172/.273/.310 - .583 OPS. Parra part 2?*

*I like Pearce, btw.

You should re-visit this after the next 30+ games are played. I think Pearce will contribute and have at least one hot streak.

You should re-visit this after the next 30+ games are played. I think Pearce will contribute and have at least one hot streak.

I think so, too. But I do worry about the O's trading for an injured Pearce and having him essentially be ineffective the rest of the year. I hope I'm wrong. But it's a worry.

Steve Pearce in 12 games since becoming an O this year: .172/.273/.310 - .583 OPS. Parra part 2?*

*I like Pearce, btw.

I expect Pearce to play better soon. And what we gave up for Parra was way worse than what we traded for Pearce.

I looked it up later and found a site saying Pearce was 2 for 12 lifetime against Scherzer (with a homer).

Oh well, nothing against Pearce, but I just think the line-up gets far more one dimensional without Kim's bat.

Jeez why are we getting so much contradiction between the records? Baseball-Reference.com says Pearce is 3 for 12 vs. Scherzer after going 0 for 4 last night. Which means he was 3 for 8 during his career before.

<http://www.baseball-reference.com/play-index/batter_vs_pitcher.cgi?batter=pearcst01>

Archived