Orioles most underrated player

bpilktree

Thanks for looking it up.

So the two time All-star who got the plum All-star save opportunity in this year's game is underrated?

I'm sure I can find plenty of top 10 reliever lists from 2014-2016 with Britton's name on it.

I'm sure there was a fangraphs piece on him today asking if he was on pace for the greatest relief season ever.

I'm not saying he isn't great, but that is the point, no one is saying he isn't great.

My vote for underrated nationally is Schoop.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Time to put Zach Britton in the AL Cy Young talk. 39 straight scoreless appearances! Longest streak since ER became a stat (<a href="https://twitter.com/EliasSports">@EliasSports</a>)</p>— Jayson Stark (@jaysonst) <a href="

">August 12, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I wouldn't say he's underrated, but sometimes it doesn't seem like we make a big deal when he does well. I think it's because he's so good that we just expect him to do well. When he was warming up in the bullpen today, Palmer said something like "Is there a better pitcher in the American League?"

It's great to see Tillman and Britton, two members of "The Cavalry" having success.

Zach right now is where Strasburg was when he was undefeated coming out of the All-Star break. For a SP, that's the point at which the regular beat guys were going to get interested in the perfect season storyline.

For a RP, it's a little bit more under the radar, but if he keeps it up another couple weeks, the spotlight will snowball going into September.

He might be. But I'd say Hardy is on the OH and Schoop is nationally. Because of the back problems, Hardy as had to completely change his plan at the plate.

These are good choices as well.

My dad and brother are Nats fans and they are very dismissive of Hardy when they refer to him. Pretty much just ask "oh, is he injured AGAIN?"

They have no idea how valuable he is to the team. Oh and he's batting like 280ish I believe, so good point there.

Schoop, in many of our minds, is quietly (hopefully) on his way to becoming an elite second baseman. He has power, bat speed, decent to ok wheels and great D and rocket arm. The one thing he needs to improve is his plate discipline (which could be said for many O's). He has a little too much Jones-itis up there, but hey - the results are usually pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say Schoop is probably the Orioles most underrated player. When non-Orioles fans discuss the Orioles, they usually talk about Machado, Britton, Jones, Tillman, Davis, Gausman and Trumbo. But nobody really knows or talks about Schoop (except for Keith Law). He's developing into a tremendous player.

Nationally, up until maybe recently, I'd say Britton fits the description, here at home, my vote is Hardy. People always want to dismiss him for the same reasons as Wieters and they did for Matusz, he isn't what he was or what they thought he should be, and they like to run down the contract. But, you can see it plain as day when Hardy isn't there how much the team collectively loses, offensively and defensively. It just isn't the same. He's one of the few guys at the plate who isn't trying to be something he isn't, he's not trying to mash home runs because that part of his game has decreased. He's trying to have solid at bats, he makes adjustments, he's willing to change his approach.

Nationally, up until maybe recently, I'd say Britton fits the description, here at home, my vote is Hardy. People always want to dismiss him for the same reasons as Wieters and they did for Matusz, he isn't what he was or what they thought he should be, and they like to run down the contract. But, you can see it plain as day when Hardy isn't there how much the team collectively loses, offensively and defensively. It just isn't the same. He's one of the few guys at the plate who isn't trying to be something he isn't, he's not trying to mash home runs because that part of his game has decreased. He's trying to have solid at bats, he makes adjustments, he's willing to change his approach.

Hardy's really played great ball over the last two months or so. It took him about two weeks after coming off the DL to find himself at the plate, but since then, he's been very steady. He's been worth 1.4 WAR in only 66 games. If he can stay healthy the rest of the season, he'll easily outperform his contract in 2016, and will put himself in a position where he might be able to earn the whole value of his contract over the three years if he has a healthy year next season. Whether he can stay healthy is the big issue. And by that, I don't just mean healthy enough to play, I mean healthy enough to hit and field at the level he is capable of. He played hurt a lot of last year, and it showed, especially down the stretch. I'm glad Buck is giving him a day off now and again this year.

Archived