Hangout Night 5/17

GotNitro

Really? See, now we need to form up a lynch mob, because there's no way Jones had intent to go to second. I was gonna give the guy benefit of the doubt because of the rule, but that's egregious. Pitchforks and torches for all!

I obviously didn't see the play, but I watched the MASN replay late last night. Jones was out of the frame, but you could see his shadow motion toward second, but it was difficult to tell what his intent was. Strange either way to see that one called.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By the way, everyone...Tony, Lorrie, Cindy, James, Wedge, Witchy, and the gang...thanks! My kids had a blast and I don't think it would have been as much fun if we weren't surrounded by such good people and great O's fans. Sorry we couldn't stay longer, but sometimes a dad's gotta pick and choose his battles. Last night, faced with a beyond-her-bedtime three-year-old fighting off a cold, I chose to let her dictate when her first O's game was over. :)

Thanks again, everybody!

By the way, everyone...Tony, Lorrie, Cindy, James, Wedge, Witchy, and the gang...thanks! My kids had a blast and I don't think it would have been as much fun if we weren't surrounded by such good people and great O's fans. Sorry we couldn't stay longer, but sometimes a dad's gotta pick and choose his battles. Last night, faced with a beyond-her-bedtime three-year-old fighting off a cold, I chose to let her dictate when her first O's game was over. :)

Thanks again, everybody!

I was very happy to meet your beautiful children:)I was so glad I finally got to meet Your Angel!She is beautiful.:) The way you write about her is one of my favorite things on the Hangout.The world would be a better place if more Dads were like you!!!!!!:clap3:

I was very happy to meet your beautiful children:)I was so glad I finally got to meet Your Angel!She is beautiful.:) The way you write about her is one of my favorite things on the Hangout.The world would be a better place if more Dads were like you!!!!!!:clap3:

Thanks Cindy! It was fun to bring them out to the ballpark for sure. I was especially excited because it was my daughter's first game and I was proud she lasted as long as she did.

Well that was fun. To echo everyone else, great group of people, O's win. Sleepy, but yay. :drek:

And yeah - Wedge and I may have to alternate Hangout nights to stay out of trouble :)

I think it's awesome how this group of Hangout Night regulars has grown, but even moreso how we've gone from a bunch of faceless user ID's to honest-to-goodness, real-life ballpark pals.

I had a blast yesterday! I was the weirdo lovingly yelling at Millar and in turn cracking up the cracker jack lady. Sitting with real O's fans is AWESOME!

:awesome:

Yes, we are wonderful people. :D

And I got to meet Bobmc!!!!!!!!

Cindy, Tony's wife, and Wedge were all swingin' cameras last night. Hopefully as everyone returns from church and rises from last night's festivities we'll start seeing some more pics!

I made a completely separate threads for pics.

Actually Wedge, which direction a player turns is irrelevant. It's the umpire's discretion regarding intent. If the ump feels a player made the turn toward second as though he might attempt to advance, then he's within his right to call the batter-runner out.

Really? See, now we need to form up a lynch mob, because there's no way Jones had intent to go to second. I was gonna give the guy benefit of the doubt because of the rule, but that's egregious. Pitchforks and torches for all!

It boils down to whether the ump thinks he was "immediately returning to 1B" vs. maybe going to 2B.

7.08: A runner is out when:

© He is tagged, when the ball is alive, while off his base. EXCEPTION: A batter runner cannot be tagged out after overrunning or oversliding first base if he returns immediately to the base;

(j) He fails to return at once to first base after overrunning or oversliding that base. If he attempts to run to second he is out when tagged. If, after overrunning or oversliding first base he starts toward the dugout, or toward his position, and fails to return to first base at once, he is out, on appeal, when he or the base is tagged; Runner who touches first base in overrunning and is declared safe by the umpire has, within the intent of Rule 4.09 (a) "reached first base" and any run which scores on such a play counts, even though the runner subsequently becomes the third out for failure to return "at once," as covered in Rule 7.08 (j).

Not a peep about which way he turns.

It's a judgment call: did he "return at once to first base" vs. did he "attempt to run to second".

Since all I saw on TV was his shadow, I don't really know.

However, I do know what Earl would've thought about it.

Earl would have thought that the ump was there for "just one reason".

And by now everybody knows exactly what that one reason is ;-)

I suppose turning right instead of left helps prevent any misguided ump-thoughts that maybe you're heading to 2B.

It boils down to whether the ump thinks he was "immediately returning to 1B" vs. maybe going to 2B.

Not a peep about which way he turns.

It's a judgment call: did he "return at once to first base" vs. did he "attempt to run to second".

Since all I saw on TV was his shadow, I don't really know.

However, I do know what Earl would've thought about it.

Earl would have thought that the ump was there for "just one reason".

And by now everybody knows exactly what that one reason is ;-)

I suppose turning right instead of left helps prevent any misguided ump-thoughts that maybe you're heading to 2B.

From our vantage point high in left field, AJ seemed to think he was called out as he ran past the bag. TBone "must have" (don't know) told Adam to return, so he did and the first base umpire signaled safe. AJ never made an attempt to go to second, imho.

I had a blast yesterday! I was the weirdo lovingly yelling at Millar and in turn cracking up the cracker jack lady. Sitting with real O's fans is AWESOME!

:awesome:

Walt, you were in your element but why the reluctance to quaff a brew? Once I bought it for you, you downed it in a flash! :new_beer:

Archived