Joseph Optioned

Can_of_corn

Watching Gallardo nibble isn't taxing?

Gallardo's WHIP is incredibly bad, 1.594. Ubaldo has pitched to an entirely different off-the-charts level of suckitude. He has 1.912 WHIP with 5.6 BB/9. On top of that, base runners have approximately 99% success rate on stolen bases. Catching Ubaldo is quite possibly the worst defensive assignment in all of MLB. Catching Gallardo every 4th day vs catching Ubaldo every time out, it is no contest which guy has the easier job.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gallardo's WHIP is incredibly bad, 1.594. Ubaldo has pitched to an entirely different off-the-charts level of suckitude. He has 1.912 WHIP with 5.6 BB/9. On top of that, base runners have approximately 99% success rate on stolen bases. Catching Ubaldo is quite possibly the worst defensive assignment in all of MLB. Catching Gallardo every 4th day vs catching Ubaldo every time out, it is no contest which guy has the easier job.

You are forgetting the Traschel like pace Gallardo works at.

Catching RA Dickey and Steve Wright are much worse.

Nice thing about Ubaldo is he rarely makes it past the 2nd inning. So you are really only catching him for a short time.

Do you think that catching Ubaldo is appreciably more taxing than catching Gallardo?

If so, why?

As for Joseph and Ubaldo. maybe Ubaldo requested Joseph? Pretty sure we don't know the specifics behind the rotation.

It's pretty easy to read into that Ubaldo didn't like throwing to Wieters. So that train wreck got turned into Joseph's special project. They actually had success in 2014 and 2015.

Ubaldo w/Joseph C in 2014.

42.2 IP 3.38 ERA vs. 34.2 IP 5.19 ERA w/MW

2015 w/Joseph

144.1 IP 2.87 ERA vs. 39.2 IP 8.62 ERA w/MW

I'm willing to say the extra prep he had to put in with Ubaldo, combined with the losing with Ubaldo, at the very least affected his confidence. Which combined with injury and lack of AB's led to a terrible season at the plate. I'd put a lot of stock in the mental aspect of the situation considering how cerebral C's have to be.

Caleb might be the worst hitter in the American League this year. I don't see why you would want him to bat more. It is like saying Jiminez doesnt' get to pitch enough.

Observed performance and skill aren't the same thing. You can have wild swings from your skill level in short samples of ABs. From early July to early August Chris Davis had 132 PAs of a .495. Mark Trumbo recently had a run of 63 PAs where he OPS'd. .356. In 2014 Nelson "Why dear God didn't we resign you for all the moneys" Cruz had a 224 PA run with a .202 average and a .617 OPS.

Joseph isn't a good hitter, but he's a .625ish OPS guy, not a .450.

It's pretty easy to read into that Ubaldo didn't like throwing to Wieters. So that train wreck got turned into Joseph's special project. They actually had success in 2014 and 2015.

Ubaldo w/Joseph C in 2014.

42.2 IP 3.38 ERA vs. 34.2 IP 5.19 ERA w/MW

2015 w/Joseph

144.1 IP 2.87 ERA vs. 39.2 IP 8.62 ERA w/MW

I'm willing to say the extra prep he had to put in with Ubaldo, combined with the losing with Ubaldo, at the very least affected his confidence. Which combined with injury and lack of AB's led to a terrible season at the plate. I'd put a lot of stock in the mental aspect of the situation considering how cerebral C's have to be.

All that tells me is that anything can happen in 39 innings. Especially non-matched sets of opponents, parks, weather, times of year, etc.

16.1 might be worth considering taking, a 2nd time, if all you was going to get was a 3/30 deal.

Seems they (agents. players at the recommendation of their agents, also.) always for for the guaranteed money, i.e. total package vs. AAV. Plus. I was going low-end of my guess of Wieters' offers. Some team might give him 4/50, for all we know. Just hope the Orioles are not considering signing him to a long-term contract. I was not upset when they "were stuck" with him at 15.8 this past year. I don't have a problem with the team paying a premium for a one-year only contract.

Archived