Trade Sherrill at the deadline?

Sports Guy

Should we deal Sherrill by July 31?  

185 members have voted

1. 1. Should we deal Sherrill by July 31?

• Yes...Take the package because we are better off long term
    • No, wait until the offseason and maybe he will be worth more
    • Don't trade him at all..He is cheap and under cotnrol for years

I voted "none of the above" as it was only yes or no, with no dependancies.

Thanks for the effort, Mr. Sherrill, soon you'll be off to your final destination.

Yes, thanks for the stop off in Baltimore, I think this line from Clutch says it all, "What was I thinking, move to Baltimore, oh yeah, the Great Outdoors".

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who do you trade him to? Specifically which team, in contention, needs him at closer? That would be where the market is for him.

Boston - no (Papelbon), Chicago -no (Jenks), L.A. - no (FRod), Phillies - no (Lidge), Mets - no (Wagner), Arizona - no (Lyon), St Louis - maybe (Isringhausen out), Dodgers - maybe. The Yankees could use him as a set-up man which allows them to move Chamberlain to the rotation as Hank Steinbrenner wants.

I'm probably wrong but I don't see that much of a market for him that would outweigh the Orioles needs. Chris Ray hopes to be back this season, but that's not in the books. We have to figure out what to do with Baez next season. If we were to trade him, the time to deal Sherrill, IMO, would be the offseason when we can have a better idea of what we do and don't have in the bullpen.

Once he gets to his arb. years, if he is still a closer, he will be demanding a lot of money, which we could spend more wisely with other candidates in waiting. If he has any value, deal him in the right deal. Not for a half season rental, not for a middle of the pack veteran, but for some young prospects. Ray will be back next season (although I still think he is better as a set-up man), if someone needs him, get the value we can. We are still rebuilding, we should be looking to deal people who will be 33 by the time we are ready to compete.

Who do you trade him to? Specifically which team, in contention, needs him at closer? That would be where the market is for him.

Boston - no (Papelbon), Chicago -no (Jenks), L.A. - no (FRod), Phillies - no (Lidge), Mets - no (Wagner), Arizona - no (Lyon), St Louis - maybe (Isringhausen out), Dodgers - maybe. The Yankees could use him as a set-up man which allows them to move Chamberlain to the rotation as Hank Steinbrenner wants.

I'm probably wrong but I don't see that much of a market for him that would outweigh the Orioles needs. Chris Ray hopes to be back this season, but that's not in the books. We have to figure out what to do with Baez next season. If we were to trade him, the time to deal Sherrill, IMO, would be the offseason when we can have a better idea of what we do and don't have in the bullpen.

Dodgers or Yankees. The Yanks on have one lefty in the bullpen. They could use a shut down lefty and have tried to get him once or twice, besides the original try at signing him out of the indy league. Would the O's want to trade in the division? I guess the package would have to be good. The Dodgers have a short guy from the left side. He was actually born the same day as my bro.

Once he gets to his arb. years, if he is still a closer, he will be demanding a lot of money, which we could spend more wisely with other candidates in waiting. If he has any value, deal him in the right deal. Not for a half season rental, not for a middle of the pack veteran, but for some young prospects. Ray will be back next season (although I still think he is better as a set-up man), if someone needs him, get the value we can. We are still rebuilding, we should be looking to deal people who will be 33 by the time we are ready to compete.

He is already in arb years. This was his first, as he was a Super-Two.

Detroit could certainly use him. I think the Dodgers and Cards have better internal options (Perez in St Louis, Dodgers with Broxton even though his velocity is down...he's not the only one though).

I agree with the rest of your post though.

We are still rebuilding, we should be looking to deal people who will be 33 by the time we are ready to compete.
No offense to you personally, because yours is a sentiment that has been expressed here often before, but what's the problem with him at 33 (if indeed we're in contention in 2010)? The last time the Orioles were in contention, in 1997, our closer Randall K. Myers was 34. That season Jesse Orosco was a valuable piece of the bullpen at age 40. Twenty-four year old Armando Benitez was the guy who let us down at crunch time. Only two batters in our regular lineup were under 30: Alomar (29) and Hammonds (26). I'm not saying a youth movement is bad, but we can't arbitrarily assume that once our players hit the early 30s that it's time to shuttle them out of town.

SG Poll Setup: “Don't trade him at all..He is cheap and under cotnrol for years”

He is only going to be cheap for one more year, especially if he is a closer.
SG, what are we gonna do with you, man? Flip you in a 3-way, I suppose. :D

No offense to you personally, because yours is a sentiment that has been expressed here often before, but what's the problem with him at 33 (if indeed we're in contention in 2010)? The last time the Orioles were in contention, in 1997, our closer Randall K. Myers was 34. That season Jesse Orosco was a valuable piece of the bullpen at age 40. Twenty-four year old Armando Benitez was the guy who let us down at crunch time. Only two batters in our regular lineup were under 30: Alomar (29) and Hammonds (26). I'm not saying a youth movement is bad, but we can't arbitrarily assume that once our players hit the early 30s that it's time to shuttle them out of town.
Amen. Age is and definitely should be a factor -- but not a binary factor at a specific cutoff age.

If we determine that the odds are in our favor the the quantity of quality in a package for him exceeds the quality of what we expect him to produce in a year or two then he absolutely should be traded. If not then he shouldn't. He's not a player I would feel the need to trade for any reason other than he's more valuable to us for the value he can bring us in a trade.

I'm just not personally that high on Sherrill anyway, he's doing a decent job for us now, but I don't think he's that reliable closer we need. I'm not all about shuttling out the guys that will be that old because I believe we need a few veterans around that age to really compete, BUT I think at this point we need to trade anyone of value, starting with the oldest members. I would rather trade Sherrill than say Cabrera (depending on returns of course). But I also wouldn't be upset at all if we held on to them if it meant we would still compete in 2-3 years. I just know with George he will be a year or so from FA in 3 years, 33 years old and not worth the price tag as a closer to a team that could spend that extra money elsewhere and just as easily plug in a 4 years younger Chris Ray. It's not all about the age, I am a big believer in keeping Roberts if possible too, but if trading these guys means we are ready to compete in 3 years so be it, and I would also like to set up to compete for years, not just a 3 year spurt like last time.

If it is Chris Ray, I say forget it. The team cannot afford all his blown saves. It would be very damaging to morale.

I know this is monumentally stupid of me to bother, but you do realize Chris Ray blew exactly four saves in 2006, no?

:skeletor:

St Louis just demoted Isringhaussen from the closers role after tying Eric Gagne for the most blown saves in the Majors. Does St Louis or Milwaukee have any good prospects we can get for Sherrill?

Colby Rasmus amirite :excited:

Archived