Trade Sherrill at the deadline?

Sports Guy

Should we deal Sherrill by July 31?  

185 members have voted

1. 1. Should we deal Sherrill by July 31?

• Yes...Take the package because we are better off long term
    • No, wait until the offseason and maybe he will be worth more
    • Don't trade him at all..He is cheap and under cotnrol for years

Well, I can't argue with firsthand experience. :D

Even though we have Jones, I'd still like to get a player like Rasmus. We'd probably have the best young outfield (with the highest upside) in the majors.

And hell, if the outfield got too crowded, we could always move Jones back to SS. *ducks* :laughlol:

Me...I am a Reimold guy. I really want to see Nolan in an O's uni this year. This kid has the big time power potential we desperately need. But, to fill you in on what the Cardinals have of interest at AA Springfield this year. I really like a little guy they have playing in LF named Shane Robinson. Real good arm, nice speed and surprising pop for a small guy. I like him a lot. The other is 3rd baseman Craig Allen. He is a really solid defensive third baseman with a power bat. Now if the Cards want to send Rasmus and a guy like Allen or Robinson? I start looking to see what I could trade to them. But amazingly, I think the OH very much undervalues DCab. If he keeps this up going into the trade deadline, he will be worth as much as Bedard.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't....Most of his peripherals were up...I just think he has some bad outings that were greatly aided by his manager.

He pitched well in July before he went on the DL.

BTW, OldFan, Ray isn't going to blame Perlozzo publicly and most players try not to use the injury excuse if they can avoid it.

So to buy what you are selling regarding Ray, one would have to believe he is a liar?:rolleyes::eek::(

Sorry, I don't buy it. He more likely regressed, knew it and was man enough not to blame it on his injury or Perlozzo. Sounds like a stand up guy to me, not a liar.:scratchchinhmm::eektf:

So to buy what you are selling regarding Ray, one would have to believe he is a liar?:rolleyes::eek::(

Sorry, I don't buy it. He more likely regressed, knew it and was man enough not to blame it on his injury or Perlozzo. Sounds like a stand up guy to me, not a liar.:scratchchinhmm::eektf:

Hard to say he regressed when most of his stats were better than they were the year before...How can you regress if you are pitching better?

Hard to say he regressed when most of his stats were better than they were the year before...How can you regress if you are pitching better?

The most important stat for a closer (blown saves) was not better and you conveniently choose to overlook that obvious fact. Furthermore, as someone else posted on this thread Ray was one of the worst (if not the worst) Orioles pitcher with runners on base.

He apparently had some kind of major malfunction in pitching out of the stretch that he developed and didn't have in his previous years. So yeah, he has regressed. Many fans here were lamenting his drop in performance and posting about how they lacked confidence in him now in tight games. I am (and was) certainly not in the minority on this.

Live in denial all you want but it is a fact easily ascertained if you watched him in action.:rolleyes:

Ray's numbers last year were hurt by his bad outings in very tough situations with runners on and also they were compounding by Perlozzo's poor bullpen management. However Ray was clearly a very good closer in non-pressure situations.

Ray's numbers last year were hurt by his bad outings in very tough situations with runners on and also they were compounding by Perlozzo's poor bullpen management. However Ray was clearly a very good closer in non-pressure situations.

And being a good closer in "non-pressure" situations is an attribute?:confused::scratchchinhmm: A closer by very definition need to be at his best in pressure situations not just "non-pressure situations." That comment is more supportive of putting Ray in another role than keeping him as a closer!:eek:

And being a good closer in "non-pressure" situations is an attribute?:confused::scratchchinhmm: A closer by very definition need to be at his best in pressure situations not just "non-pressure situations." That comment is more supportive of putting Ray in another role than keeping him as a closer!:eek:

Yes you're correct...he might not be suited to be the closer going forward, but then again he's also very young and has be thrown into the role. He can develop into a good closer with good health and experience.

Remember last year, Ray was thrown into tough situations with runners on in many situations - some were during the 8th inning. So cut him some slack

Yes you're correct...he might not be suited to be the closer going forward, but then again he's also very young and has be thrown into the role. He can develop into a good closer with good health and experience.

Remember last year, Ray was thrown into tough situations with runners on in many situations - some were during the 8th inning. So cut him some slack

He could also develop into another Jorge Julio, which is much more likely I fear. I do remember Ray was thrown into tough situations with runners on last year, but that is how a closer proves his mettle, including the 8th inning. What I saw was a guy who far too often wilted under pressure and threw fastballs that were either out of the strike zone, or right down the middle of the plate with zero movement. The job of closer comes ingrained with it little margin for error, so slack cutting is not something that is warranted when you assume the job.

Really? So, you think coming into an inning with a 2 or 3 run lead is a high pressure situation?

As Drungo said the other day, a closer could have a 9.00 ERA and still save a large majority of their games.

Ray had a great K rate last year...His command rate was excellent...His BB rate was a little high but still not that bad.

He gave a few too many homers but his GB/FB ratio was by the far the best it ever has been and that is something he needed to improve on.

Opponents had a sub 700 OPS against him...They hit just over 200 and their OBP was .307...Lefties used to beat him up pretty good but even they had a sub 700 OPS versus them. That is something else he has improved on.

Perlozzo screwed up Ray a number of times last year...Leaving him in too long, having him warm up too long, etc...And because he did those things, it caused Ray to get roughed up in a few outings.

The MDM game was ridiculous...IIRC, Ray had barely warmed up and Perlozzo paniced and brought him early..I think Ray even said he wasn't ready yet.

I remember the Nats game when it eas obvious he was tired and Perlozzo kept him in the game.

To wrap things up...Ray's peripherals and improvement in certain areas were great last year....He just had a few bad outings that could be put at the feet of Perlozzo more than Ray himself.

Peripherals, stats, whatever - Ray flat out stunk last year. It doesn't mean he can't rebound and return to his former form - which was excellent.

Peripherals, stats, whatever - Ray flat out stunk last year. It doesn't mean he can't rebound and return to his former form - which was excellent.

The only thing that supports this is a high OPS against him with runners on...in 58 AT BATS!

Other than that, nothing supports your claim that he stunk.

And, as I said, Perlozzo misused him a lot last year and led to some of those runners on issues and also, in previous years, Ray has been excellent with runners on.

Ray saved something like 19 of his first 20 games as closer. I think its silly to think that after 20 or some major league saves he all of a sudden became a mental wreck and could't handle the pressure.

Pitching badly and not handling the pressure are not always the same thing. I think he pitched poorly, but I don't think it was because he cracked. He just hit a rough spot.

I fully expect him to be back to being a very good reliever. He is certainly a flyball pitcher, which is scary for a closer, but he can still be a very good pitcher. I think he'll be an asset in the bullpen in whatever role he ends up taking.

Ray saved something like 19 of his first 20 games as closer. I think its silly to think that after 20 or some major league saves he all of a sudden became a mental wreck and could't handle the pressure.

Pitching badly and not handling the pressure are not always the same thing. I think he pitched poorly, but I don't think it was because he cracked. He just hit a rough spot.

I fully expect him to be back to being a very good reliever. He is certainly a flyball pitcher, which is scary for a closer, but he can still be a very good pitcher. I think he'll be an asset in the bullpen in whatever role he ends up taking.

But that greatly improved last year...His GB/FB rate was much better last year...And while he has improved every year, Sherrill's is getting worse.

Archived