Tillman having shoulder issues still

eddie83

Bundy?

Yea, I'm concerned about his innings and the velocity dip.

I heard Buck comment on the Bundy's velocity in the postgame. His answer to the question seemed to indicate that Bundy is relying on the 2-seamer when he's not commanding the 4-seamer. Whether that's it or not, maybe there will be more discussion on it.

"I asked Showalter about Bundy's lower radar gun readings and basically got the same response that the right-hander offered in a separate interview. Mostly different words, but the same message.

"I think what people miss when they just evaluate people with a gun is that Dylan didn't have very good command last time and he went to the two-seamer a lot and that's why you might have seen some different gun readings." Showalter said.

"That's why these analytic people that base it on a gun and some chart miss so often and it's really so inaccurate."

The whole article is pretty fascinating. Bundy's quotes are earlier in the article.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2016/08/checking-on-bundys-fastball-in-the-early-innings.html

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I heard Buck comment on the Bundy's velocity in the postgame. His answer to the question seemed to indicate that Bundy is relying on the 2-seamer when he's not commanding the 4-seamer. Whether that's it or not, maybe there will be more discussion on it.

"I asked Showalter about Bundy's lower radar gun readings and basically got the same response that the right-hander offered in a separate interview. Mostly different words, but the same message.

"I think what people miss when they just evaluate people with a gun is that Dylan didn't have very good command last time and he went to the two-seamer a lot and that's why you might have seen some different gun readings." Showalter said.

"That's why these analytic people that base it on a gun and some chart miss so often and it?s really so inaccurate."

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2016/08/checking-on-bundys-fastball-in-the-early-innings.html

That is the third time I've seen that quoted and I still don't believe it.

I've posted the link to Brooks showing his 4 seam velocity is down and there is the simple fact that he isn't throwing in the 96-97 range right now. We are not seeing less high velocity FB from Bundy, we are seeing none.

That is the third time I've seen that quoted and I still don't believe it.

I've posted the link to Brooks showing his 4 seam velocity is down and there is the simple fact that he isn't throwing in the 96-97 range right now. We are not seeing less high velocity FB from Bundy, we are seeing none.

I was wondering if some of the early high velocity of 96-97 was him just experiencing the adrenaline of the early starts, it still being a butterfly thing and trying to impress. I really think it's more of the "try easier" advice that Flanagan and Palmer used to talk about. He certainly seems to be a pitcher rather than a thrower. A guy who has a plan and makes adjustments in game. I did see him hit (if the MASN gun can be trusted) 96 in his last start. Didn't sit there, but he pulled it out when the thought he needed it.

I was wondering if some of the early high velocity of 96-97 was him just the adrenaline of the early starts, it still being a butterfly thing and trying to impress. I really think it's more of the "try easier" advice that Flanagan and Palmer used to talk about. He certainly seems to be a pitcher rather than a thrower. A guy who has a plan and makes adjustments in game. I did see him hit (if the MASN gun can be trusted) 96 in his last start. Didn't sit there, but he pulled it out when the thought he needed it.

I still believe that the guns and metrics that describe pitches as knuckle curves need some help before I pay attention to them.

I was wondering if some of the early high velocity of 96-97 was him just experiencing the adrenaline of the early starts, it still being a butterfly thing and trying to impress. I really think it's more of the "try easier" advice that Flanagan and Palmer used to talk about. He certainly seems to be a pitcher rather than a thrower. A guy who has a plan and makes adjustments in game. I did see him hit (if the MASN gun can be trusted) 96 in his last start. Didn't sit there, but he pulled it out when the thought he needed it.

But he was more effective when he was throwing 96-97.

Why move away from what is more effective?

Occam's razor time folks, it is more likely that he's fatigued.

Can you imagine a world where Buck admits that Bundy is fatigued and has lost some velocity but that they can't afford to push him back or skip him a start?

But he was more effective when he was throwing 96-97.

Why move away from what is more effective?

Occam's razor time folks, it is more likely that he's fatigued.

Can you imagine a world where Buck admits that Bundy is fatigued and has lost some velocity but that they can't afford to push him back or skip him a start?

Sure, he may be tired. He's working more innings than before and deeper in pitch counts. But I do think part of the answer is that if he senses he's not commanding the faster stuff, he has made adjustments to better effect. I've seen him start a batter with two straight changups and he finds himself ahead in the count. While part of it may be the fatigue of going deeper in games, I do think he's also pitching smarter.

It doesn't have to be all of one and none of the other in the analysis of what he's doing in-game.

By the way, I do see a day when they may ask him to skip a start to keep him fresh. I assumed that was part of the plan all along. Maybe I'm misreading the "plan".

Sure, he may be tired. He's working more innings than before and deeper in pitch counts. But I do think part of the answer is that if he senses he's not commanding the faster stuff, he has made adjustments to better effect. I've seen him start a batter with two straight changups and he finds himself ahead in the count. While part of it may be the fatigue of going deeper in games, I do think he's also pitching smarter.

It doesn't have to be all of one and none of the other in the analysis of what he's doing in-game.

His command when he was throwing 96-97 was better than what we are seeing now.

By far the simplest explanation is fatigue.

His command when he was throwing 96-97 was better than what we are seeing now.

By far the simplest explanation is fatigue.

Sure. And pitching smarter and making in-game adjustments. A combination. You quoted me before my edit was done and I addressed the skipping a start issue.

Archived