Some contradictory facts about August

Frobby

Fact 1: The Orioles easily led the AL in homers in August, smacking 1.90 per game.

Fact 2: The Orioles hit quite well in RISP situations, .283/.358/.467.

Fact 3: The Orioles were a lackluster 9th in runs scored per game, at 4.55.

Analysis: The problem was low OBP and very few runners in scoring position. The O's were reasonably clutch when RISP opportunities arose, but there weren't enough of those opportunities.

Fact 4: The bullpen didn't blow a save all month, going 10 for 10 in save opportunities.

Fact 5: The bullpen posted a 6.22 ERA in August.

Analysis: The long and middle relief was atrocious. There were many games where the game was still in reach in games we were losing in the middle or late innings, where the bullpen allowed the game to get out of hand. The role of a bullpen in keeping games close when the team is behind is very underrated. Our bullpen did a great job of that for most of the season, but in August they failed to do it.

Fact 6: The Orioles committed only 12 errors in August, and allowed only 4 unearned runs.

Fact 7: By every advanced defensive metric, the Orioles had a terrible defensive month.

Analysis: It's the outfielders. Night after night, they don't reach balls that other outfielders reach. Those plays don't show up as errors in the box score, but they cost the team and make the pitchers look worse than they are.

I know there are a lot of blame game threads and posts and I hate to contribute, but pretty much every item on your list can be attributed to the Orioles' offseason strategy. The Orioles signed basically three DH's and two of those are playing the outfield, they resigned a very good but aging relief pitcher, created a starting rotation that everyone knew was going to put pressure on middle relievers, etc. The strategy looked great for a month or two, but the weaknesses of the strategy caught up with the team. As you and COC discussed in the Trumbo defense thread, much of this was totally predictable.

I know there are a lot of blame game threads and posts and I hate to contribute, but pretty much every item on your list can be attributed to the Orioles' offseason strategy. The Orioles signed basically three DH's and two of those are playing the outfield, they resigned a very good but aging relief pitcher, created a starting rotation that everyone knew was going to put pressure on middle relievers, etc. The strategy looked great for a month or two, but the weaknesses of the strategy caught up with the team. As you and COC discussed in the Trumbo defense thread, much of this was totally predictable.

And the guy they picked up at the trade deadline did not play outfield for Tampa. i know Buck loves him but another DH type. i keep hearing on the telecast that Buck is big on defense.

And the guy they picked up at the trade deadline did not play outfield for Tampa. i know Buck loves him but another DH type. i keep hearing on the telecast that Buck is big on defense.

Pearce was acquired to hit lefties and provide a little versatility. He was never meant to be a defensive whiz.

Bourn and Stubbs are here to play D, largely.

Archived