There is one person and one person only responsible for last night's loss

FanSince88

I do have zero ability to play baseball, but Yovani's been playing it all his life and is being paid $11 million this year to play it. He's the starting pitcher in one of the most important games of the season. The least we can ask of him is to throw strikes at the beginning of the game to Forsythe and Kiermaier, who aren't exactly Ruth/Gehrig. The outcome couldn't have been any worse than it ended up being.

So you're saying that Gallardo walked Forsythe and Kiermaier on purpose, or at least didn't care? And that salary should somehow be a guarantee of physical execution on the field. #batcountry

Salary and ability at this level have little or nothing to do with character. Were the Orioles better and more upstanding, hardworking, moral humans the night before when they won 1-0?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
o

It wouldn't, save for one unlikely scenario.

If Tillman pitched in Game One and came back for Game Four, that would be 3 days' rest.

If Tillman pitched in Game Two and came back for Game Five, that would be 4 days' rest, but then 3 other pitchers would have to pitch in Games One, Three, and Four ...... unless the Game One pitcher was brought back on 3 days' rest in Game Four, and I doubt that Showalter would do that.

He has 3 pitchers that are currently pitching well, and a 4th pitcher that, even with his recent struggles, is pitching considerably better than Miley and Gallardo are.

At most, I suspect that Showalter would go with Gausman, Tillman, and Jimenez for 3 games, and (assuming that there is not a 3-game sweep), would limit Bundy's Game Four start to 3 or 4 innings, and then bridge the gap to the late innings with a long reliever and/or several relief pitchers if it's a must-win game.

Finally, all of the above is assuming that the Orioles will be able to line up the specific pitchers that they want to for that 5-game series ...... a luxury that they may not have, especially if they have to play in the Wildcard playoff game right before the start of the ALDS.

I think we agree, especially on the Bundy scenario we both presented.

I said Gallardo was the one pitcher I absolutely did not want them to sign from the time the offseason started. Then when his medicals turned out bad, they STILL signed him. Yes, I would have signed Hill every time and twice on Sunday, plus he was a lefthander. NOT revisionist for me and I can show you the posts. But it is what it is. But DD needs to be graded for the things he has done well, i.e. Trumbo, Cruz, Chen, etc. and for the things he has not done well- namely get this team that has a window for a championship over the top, in large part, due to inept starting pitching by 2 and at times 3 of the starting five.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hill signed for 6M to pitch in OAK. He would have cost more to pitch in BAL. Would you really have paid 7-8M based on 4 good starts at the end of last season?

Palmer nailed it at the beginning of the game. Gallardo depends on good command for success. Pitchers often have command issues when they haven't pitched in 8 days.

Gallardo's main problem is that he's not very good in the context of Major League Baseball. Or, I suppose if you believe the OP of this thread, his failings are just an external manifestation of his twisted soul.

"Rookie"? Also honestly answer this question...who is more likely to get a base hit, Davis or Kim?

This is Kim's first year facing major league pitching.

Take a look at the RE24 in the links provided by Weams:

RE24 = "Base-Out Runs Added: Given the bases occupied/out situation, how many runs did the batter or baserunner add in the resulting play.

Compared to average, so 0 is average, and above 0 is better than average"

Davis = 7.50

Kim = -3.15

This isn't the one stat that my entire argument hinges on. But it's enough to show that there's a LOT more involved here than simply batting average.

RE24 = "Base-Out Runs Added: Given the bases occupied/out situation, how many runs did the batter or baserunner add in the resulting play.

Davis = 7.50

Kim = -3.15

This isn't the one stat that my entire argument hinges on. But it's enough to show that there's a LOT more involved here than simply batting average.

So your answer to the question of "who is more likely to get a base hit Davis or Kim?" Is Davis? If so then I see why you would rather have him at the plate in that situation. I believe Kim is more likely to get a base hit in that situation.

And Kim is a Rookie the same way Adam Jones would be a Rookie in Japan if he picked up and played there next year.

Absolutely. Bottom of the 9th, down 1, and Buck should take out the monster 40 hr 100 rbi power hitter???? Uhhh.......no. And I've been for Kim from day 1, but that's just crazy talk.

Kim should have hit for Trumbo. Contact hitter is what you need there. Trumbo has szero, as in not one, sac fly all year! You can't hit him for Davis, for chemistry reasons. You just can't take out a 26mm a year guy in that situation. That sort of stuff from a leader causes chemistry issues. Life just does not work that way.

Kim should have hit for Trumbo. Contact hitter is what you need there. Trumbo has szero, as in not one, sac fly all year! You can't hit him for Davis, for chemistry reasons. You just can't take out a 26mm a year guy in that situation. That sort of stuff from a leader causes chemistry issues. Life just does not work that way.

I don't know about taking him out when a HR could give you the lead, but that is an insane stat. Given his number of ABs that has to be close to Joseph's RBI stat for futility.

Rather keep Davis happy than win a game during a pennant race...I get it.

I'm starting to sour on Buck. He's good, but an excellent manager would have pinch hit Kim for Davis in the 9th. Who is more likely to get you a single? Buck just doesn't think that way.

He should have pinch hit Kim for Trumbo (zero sac flies this season, terrible batting average in second half), as Kim is far more likely to have a smart AB and get at least a sac fly. There was no good reason to bat Trumbo, who had already failed in one sac fly situation earlier.

As for sac fly situations in general, has Coolbaugh watched the hitters this season? The proper way to approach those ABs is to look for a pitch to drive in the air, yet O's hitters consistently swing down at pitches, which won't result in a fly ball, or expand the strike zone and get themselves in a hole. That hasn't improved as the season has gone on.

They have a similar problem on 2-0 and 3-1 pitches, when they should be shrinking the strike zone to the part in which they hit best, but instead swing at pitches outside of that area.

Gallardo's main problem is that he's not very good in the context of Major League Baseball. Or, I suppose if you believe the OP of this thread, his failings are just an external manifestation of his twisted soul.
So many said this exact same thing about Ubaldo. Perhaps Yovani needs a stint int the bullpen. Let Ubaldo teach him how to work on his mechanics in the pen.

Davis = 7.50

Kim = -3.15

I.I.W.I.I.

Stats notwithstanding.. CD's at-bat in the 9th was pathetic.

Archived