Houston and Seattle are done

ChuckS

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, we just lost 4 games of ground to Detroit in 4 days, but we shouldn't worry about two teams that are 1 and 2 games behind us in the loss column? I don't buy it.

The pure probability of those teams getting to the number of wins needed to secure a Wild Card is extremely low.

The Tigers play 2 more games against KC and then 4 against CLE. We need to regain the ground on them then because after that they have 3 against ATL.

Cleveland will probably have clinched division by then. They might start resting players. We control our destiny. Win out we make the playoffs.

The Tigers play 2 more games against KC and then 4 against CLE. We need to regain the ground on them then because after that they have 3 against ATL.

Atlanta may not be quite as much of a pushover as Minnesota. At least we can hope so. The Braves have won seven in a row right now and are 26-23 since Aug 1.

The pure probability of those teams getting to the number of wins needed to secure a Wild Card is extremely low.

It's roughly a 20% chance that one of them will make it (will try to update that when BP updates the odds later this morning; it was 32% as of yesterday but the odds will be lower today).

It's roughly a 20% chance that one of them will make it (will try to update that when BP updates the odds later this morning; it was 32% as of yesterday but the odds will be lower today).

Fangraphs has it 14% Mariners, 6% Astros, so 20% combined, as I said. I don't consider that "done." The Yankees are at 0.4%. That's done. Hopefully they are eliminated by the time we play them.

Our odds are at 36%.

Edit -- BP also has them at 20% combined.

So, we just lost 4 games of ground to Detroit in 4 days, but we shouldn't worry about two teams that are 1 and 2 games behind us in the loss column? I don't buy it.

If those teams catch us, we weren't going to catch Detroit or Toronto anyway.

o

Yeah, that's the larger point.

If the Orioles need to be concerned about any team(s) that are behind them this late in the season, they aren't/weren't going anywhere, anyway.

o

Yeah, that's the larger point.

If the Orioles need to be concerned about any team(s) that are behind them this late in the season, they aren't/weren't going anywhere, anyway.

o

In other words, it's not so much that the Orioles are secure that those 2 teams WON'T catch them, but that if those 2 teams DO catch them, the Orioles are toast because of the fact that they already have 2 teams (the Blue Jays and the Tigers) that are ahead of them in the first place.

Archived