Miami Marlins pitcher Jose Fernandez killed in 3am boating incident

xian4

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First off, I seriously doubt that most 24-year-olds who live in Miami regularly drink half a dozen beers, do a few lines of coke, then go recklessly tearing around in a boat at 2am. Life isn't an episode of Miami Vice.

But in addition, Fernandez was a professional athlete with a career on the line. Even if he didn't die because of his reckless behavior he stood a decent chance of being popped on a drug test, suspended, his reputation impacted, and potentially reduced future earnings.

Let me put it this way, it's not common that you see that kind of stuff in Miami, but when you see it you're not surprised if that makes sense. I've seen it from the people who I went to school with, who would go down to Miami every know and again and get completely blown out of the water so to speak.

I know they stop testing for marijuana when you get on the 40 man. I wouldn't be surprised to learn it is the same for other recreational drugs.

I would have hoped they'd have learned their lessons from the Steve Howe's of the world. It was probably a concession they had to make at the bargaining table. But still, that blows my mind.

I would have hoped they'd have learned their lessons from the Steve Howe's of the world. It was probably a concession they had to make at the bargaining table. But still, that blows my mind.

Rumor has it the Rays first put Tim Beckham on the 40 to keep him from failing a third test for "drugs of abuse".

The players agreed to the terms of employment.

The MLB players have a stronger union, by far.

And it's due as much to the nature of the game as anything else. Baseball careers are relatively long and the players have shown that they are willing to miss a season to get what they want in a labor dispute.

Football careers for the majority of players are very short. Most of the players as individuals just can't afford to strike and miss a season, so they have little choice but to cave to most of what the owners want.

The MLB players have a stronger union, by far.

And it's due as much to the nature of the game as anything else. Baseball careers are relatively long and the players have shown that they are willing to miss a season to get what they want in a labor dispute.

Football careers for the majority of players are very short. Most of the players as individuals just can't afford to strike and miss a season, so they have little choice but to cave to most of what the owners want.

The guys in the Union don't get tested for pot.

Hence the pillowcase allegedly stolen in Tampa.

Archived