Miami Marlins pitcher Jose Fernandez killed in 3am boating incident

xian4

Terrible. One of the great young talents. He was on my bucket list of guys I have never seen pitch live.

I was lucky enough to catch a game he started earlier this year. Amazing talent and did a TON for the community. With his Cuban roots, the guy was a hero to so many kids down here. He will be missed greatly.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Love something in your life the way Jose Fernandez loved baseball... <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/RIP?src=hash">#RIP</a> <a href="https://t.co/NFZcZnpa5J">pic.twitter.com/NFZcZnpa5J</a></p>— Joey Hayden (@_joeyhayden) <a href="

">September 25, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Vaguely familiar with his work.
Sports

Mets face Fernandez Monday after Marlins give him extra day's rest

Comcast SportsNet New York Sat, Sep 24 4:06 PM PDT

Mets-killer Jose Fernandez, who was to pitch Sunday against the Braves, will be given an extra day of rest and face the Mets in Monday's series opener at Marlins Park in Miami. Fernandez is 3-0 with a 1.34 ERA in eight career starts against the Mets. This year, Fernandez is 2-0 with a 1.08 ERA in four starts against the Mets. He's also been dominant in his career at Marlins Park, going 29-2 with a 1.49 ERA in 42 starts. .

From last night..

Yep, me too. Olin and Tim Crews.

Baseball has probably been lucky. There's a fairly short list of players who've died in mid-career. Not many of them as good as Fernandez. Addie Joss, maybe. Austin McHenry and Ross Youngs. Lyman Bostock. Ray Chapman. Munson was pretty good, too. Clemente, Gehrig, and Delehanty had most of their careers behind them.

Losing Fernandez just reminded me of losing Tavares...another very young and immensely talented player.

[video=youtube;t_gvUjPxDuU]

[video=youtube;8ZDqVdGGrjE]

I heard these two after seeing everything in regards to Fernandez. Almost broke down crying twice. Poor man will never meet his child. What an awful way to go, and he went out to early.

When my only brother died in a boating accident at thirty, the Billy Joel song, "Only the Good Die Young" was very popular. We never know when, but when my brother was teaching in Jamaica, the country, he once had a crow fly into him while on his cycle and he thought that was an omen. He died a few years later.

Losing Fernandez just reminded me of losing Tavares...another very young and immensely talented player.

With all due respect, Tavares had a BAC of 4x the legal limit while driving at great speed and killed a young girl. I hope this tragedy bears no resemblance. But as a loss of life both events can be mourned.

Archived