Miami Marlins pitcher Jose Fernandez killed in 3am boating incident

xian4

Those are ridiculous speeds to be going in the dark. You just never know what is out there, log, another boat with no lights, and probably in this case, you arent exactly where you think you are and so you hit the rocks when you thought you were 300 yds to the right. So sad, boating and water in general are grossly unappreciated for the dangers. Thoughts and prayers for the family and friends.

I've been 50 MPH in a boat before and it is an entirely different animal than a car. No way would I try it at night, even with good visibility.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Moment of silence today before each game for Jose!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="es" dir="ltr">Se llevar? a cabo un momento de silencio antes de cada partido de la jornada de hoy en memoria de Jos? Fern?ndez. <a href="https://t.co/MHoL20CeCU">pic.twitter.com/MHoL20CeCU</a></p>— LasMayores (@LasMayores) <a href="

">September 25, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The entire Marlins team is here at the press conference. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/RIPJoseFernandez?src=hash">#RIPJoseFernandez</a> <a href="https://t.co/xRMrhZMpsj">pic.twitter.com/xRMrhZMpsj</a></p>— Mike Cugno (@MikeCugnoCBS4) <a href="

">September 25, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Don't say that. We do not know what happened.

I commend your considerateness and hope that everyone else will calm their scandal-seeking minds. Someone who in so many ways symbolized what is great about baseball should be treated by Oriole fans with the deepest respect. Miami has lost its truest hero.

Shame. Have to think intoxicants of some sort were a factor.

1) Way too soon to say something like this without any facts or details. Accidents happen to the best and worst of people.

2) You can personally say "I think intoxicants of some sort were a factor", but nobody has to think anything. You are speaking for yourself, and IMO coming across as judgmental and insensitive.

3) These players are on completely different body clocks than the rest of us. Their 3 am is not the same as our 3 am. When we go out at the end of our workday, it's like 7 pm. When they go out at the end of their workday it's midnight.

You might turn out to be correct, but perhaps allow the facts to emerge first.

3) These players are on completely different body clocks than the rest of us. Their 3 am is not the same as our 3 am. When we go out at the end of our workday, it's like 7 pm. When they go out at the end of their workday it's midnight.

Ball players try to keep schedules. With today being a getaway day.. ball players report to club house early between 9-10 am.

Jose Fernandez was suppose to start today. Marlins yesterday afternoon pushed him to start Monday and because he was pushed back..he was out that late.

1) Way too soon to say something like this without any facts or details. Accidents happen to the best and worst of people.

2) You can personally say "I think intoxicants of some sort were a factor", but nobody has to think anything. You are speaking for yourself, and IMO coming across as judgmental and insensitive.

I don't see what difference it makes if someone was intoxicated or not. Results are the same either way.

I've been 50 MPH in a boat before and it is an entirely different animal than a car. No way would I try it at night, even with good visibility.

Yeah but lot depends on size of boat. That is a 30 ft boat. I had smaller boat before kids and 45-55 felt like flying but bigger boat not the same feeling.

That's good because I am insensitive. Wouldn't want to be dishonest.

And I find it hard to believe that you, or anyone else who is rational, doesn't think there is a significant likelihood of some form of intoxicant being present.

I've worked nights before, for months at a time. Doesn't excuse boating at high speeds in poor visibility. It makes you a hazard to yourself and whomever else might be out there.

Face of the franchise.

One of the faces of MLB.

Young, great personality...infectious smile.

Great story.

Just an all around tragedy. Far too young...this world is downright cruel and disgusting. Just shows you how small the sport is on the field....it's monumentally larger off of it.

Thoughts go out to his family and friends. Just really tough to hear.

And I find it hard to believe that you, or anyone else who is rational, doesn't think there is a significant likelihood of some form of intoxicant being present.

I've worked nights before, for months at a time. Doesn't excuse boating at high speeds in poor visibility. It makes you a hazard to yourself and whomever else might be out there.

I have never heard of Jose Fernandez before but I have rented boats in Florida multiple times. There is no boating license or training or instruction given. I have hit bottom doing 30 mph before. They most likely didn't know rocks were in the area. Sobor or intoxicated they wouldn't have seen the rocks doing 50 mph at night.

I did say that you very well might turn out to be correct. Just seemed like a nasty thing to assume when no details had been released.

Archived