Miami Marlins pitcher Jose Fernandez killed in 3am boating incident

xian4

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With all due respect, Tavares had a BAC of 4x the legal limit while driving at great speed and killed a young girl. I hope this tragedy bears no resemblance. But as a loss of life both events can be mourned.

I obviously never followed up on his death...because that is awful and unforgivable.

RIP to Fernandez and his friends on the boat ride.

Dee Gordon starts the game batting right handed wearing Jose's batting helmet.

He switches back to hitting left handed and two pitches later hits his first home run of the season.

One of the most powerful things I've seen in sports in quite some time. What a moment.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article110563512.html#navlink=Lead

Miami Marlins pitcher Jose Fernandez and two of his friends who perished in a violent boat crash off of South Beach last month all had a strong odor of alcohol on them when their bodies were recovered by divers, according to a search warrant affidavit obtained by the Miami Herald

It’s not known what charges, if any, could be brought in the case since the affidavit states the crime(s) under investigation are Boating Homicide While Intoxicated and Vessel Homicide.

Those criminal charges are brought when there is someone to charge. No other suspects are mentioned in the affidavit.

The warrant, released by the Miami-Dade state attorney’s office Wednesday, also alleges that investigators found evidence that the driver of the vessel was driving at a high rate of speed and with a “recklessness’’ that was “exacerbated by the consumption of alcohol.”

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article110563512.html#navlink=Lead

Miami Marlins pitcher Jose Fernandez and two of his friends who perished in a violent boat crash off of South Beach last month all had a strong odor of alcohol on them when their bodies were recovered by divers, according to a search warrant affidavit obtained by the Miami Herald

It’s not known what charges, if any, could be brought in the case since the affidavit states the crime(s) under investigation are Boating Homicide While Intoxicated and Vessel Homicide.

Those criminal charges are brought when there is someone to charge. No other suspects are mentioned in the affidavit.

The warrant, released by the Miami-Dade state attorney’s office Wednesday, also alleges that investigators found evidence that the driver of the vessel was driving at a high rate of speed and with a “recklessness’’ that was “exacerbated by the consumption of alcohol.”

At risk of being gross here... really? I mean, don't dead bodies smell to begin with? And bodies that have been underwater probably also smell like salt water. I find it hard to believe that a body that has been under salt water would smell like alcohol just because the person drank a lot before their death. Yeah, you can smell it on someone's breath, but if they are dead and have no breath?

Just seems really odd to me. I'm sure they can, and probably have, tested to determine if they were drinking. But I find it hard to believe rescue workers could smell alcohol that people had drank on dead bodies pulled out of the water.

At risk of being gross here... really? I mean, don't dead bodies smell to begin with? And bodies that have been underwater probably also smell like salt water. I find it hard to believe that a body that has been under salt water would smell like alcohol just because the person drank a lot before their death. Yeah, you can smell it on someone's breath, but if they are dead and have no breath?

Just seems really odd to me. I'm sure they can, and probably have, tested to determine if they were drinking. But I find it hard to believe rescue workers could smell alcohol that people had drank on dead bodies pulled out of the water.

It isn't an instantaneous process.

Archived