Toronto Fans around him should have turned him immediately after the incident.

ORIOLE33

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
?I don?t think there is another ballpark where beer is served in cans,? commissioner Rob Manfred said.

Has Manfred ever attended a baseball game? Besides sitting in the owner's box?

I'm trusting our Commissioner to handle this wisely and well. As you can see, he's quickly getting up to speed on the situation with metal containers. As a man of great integrity, he can be counted on to act in a way that protects both the safety of the players and the interests of baseball and its fans. Well, there is one limitation on all that: the Commissioner is unlikely to call for any measure that would cost the owners of the Jays (or any other team owners) more than about $100. Other than that, he'll do the right thing, and right now is probably having his staff try to figure out a way MLB or the teams can generate revenues from this incident. Maybe next year there will a "pouring fee" tacked on to all ticket prices to cover the costs of material and labor required to dispense drinks in special MLB-licensed safety cups.

I'm trusting our Commissioner to handle this wisely and well. As you can see, he's quickly getting up to speed on the situation with metal containers. As a man of great integrity, he can be counted on to act in a way that protects both the safety of the players and the interests of baseball and its fans. Well, there is one limitation on all that: the Commissioner is unlikely to call for any measure that would cost the owners of the Jays (or any other team owners) more than about $100. Other than that, he'll do the right thing, and right now is probably having his staff try to figure out a way MLB or the teams can generate revenues from this incident. Maybe next year there will a "pouring fee" tacked on to all ticket prices to cover the costs of material and labor required to dispense drinks in special MLB-licensed safety cups.

Maybe he is resigned to letting it all play out in litigation. He may not be able to speak out on it until then.

I remember when DC Stadium (later RFK) first opened. I would go and watch the Senators play the Orioles in front of about 125 people on a good day. The stadium was cavernous and they served beer in these tall waxed Dixie Cups. My friend and I would go around collecting them to stomp on. If you caught them just right it was like a shotgun blast going off that would reverberate for several seconds.

So where am I going with this?

Imagine, in this security conscious age we live in, providing children with the means to mimic gunshots in a crowded public space. I think safety cups are probably not the answer, MLB-licensed or otherwise. What a crazy age we live in.

I do not think that Pagan is the beer tosser. Check this video analysis out. The police need to interrogate the bearded guy - he is looking at the beer tosser who has cowardly slinked down out of view.

[video=youtube;GQpQNfqCvhA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQpQNfqCvhA

o

If that is indeed the case, then the hit to Pagan's reputation is somewhat reminiscent to this guy's plight:

latest?cb=20111121135558

o

I simply cannot believe no one in the stands ID this butthole right when it happened. And to think Canadians are supposed to be so nice. EPIC FAIL CANADA! I see someone do something that could injure someone you better believe I am holding them down and calling the cops over.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">American ships are sailing right into the heart of <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/HurricaneMatthew?src=hash">#HurricaneMatthew</a> to save lives. That's what makes us Americans. <a href="https://t.co/R43vGKP8tL">https://t.co/R43vGKP8tL</a></p>— Charles P. Pierce (@ESQPolitics) <a href="

">October 6, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I remember when DC Stadium (later RFK) first opened. I would go and watch the Senators play the Orioles in front of about 125 people on a good day. The stadium was cavernous and they served beer in these tall waxed Dixie Cups. My friend and I would go around collecting them to stomp on. If you caught them just right it was like a shotgun blast going off that would reverberate for several seconds.

So where am I going with this?

Imagine, in this security conscious age we live in, providing children with the means to mimic gunshots in a crowded public space. I think safety cups are probably not the answer, MLB-licensed or otherwise. What a crazy age we live in.

We used to do that cup-stomping thing in movie theaters, especially during horror movies when everyone's nerves were a bit on edge. You won't be able to get that noise with the "safety cups" to be designed for MLB, which will have pictures of Jeter and Ortiz and cost you about $300 after the 1,200% mark-up.

• 8 months later...
2 hours ago, byrdz said:

Looks like he got off light for what amounts to assault with a deadly weapon.

In Philly fans would have beaten the guy for missing.*

*Of course I'm just joking. Well, mostly joking. Philly is a rough place. They throw things at Santa in the Christmas Parade. Seriously. 

13 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

In Philly fans would have beaten the guy for missing.*

*Of course I'm just joking. Well, mostly joking. Philly is a rough place. They throw things at Santa in the Christmas Parade. Seriously. 

`I was there after the '93 WS.  It was an ugly night to be out on the streets.  Practically every neighborhood had its own effigy of Mitch Williams hanging from the largest tree.  I would still be avoiding the Philly city limits if I were him.

Archived