Hangouters Top 30 prospects!

Tony-OH

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why is Harvey high on people's lists? He's consistently hurt, and I honestly doubt he's up here by the time he turns 25.

I think Bundy's success this year gives us hope for Harvey. He would be in a totally different place if he did the TJ 2 years ago or whatever. The groin strain and the broken leg don't bother me.

Maybe not getting to the majors earlier than 25 is a blessing - The O's will have his prime years while cost controlled.

See Palmer, Jim the early days. Or, any other number of guys who had command issues early. He throws really, really hard.

If you're implying there's any comparison in even the smallest degree to Palmer - at any age, we'll have to disagree.

See Palmer, Jim the early days. Or, any other number of guys who had command issues early. He throws really, really hard.

Tanner Scott has averaged 6.9 BB/9 in his MiL career. This was his age 21 season, and he averaged 8.0 BB/9 in high A and AA. Jim Palmer averaged 5.5 BB/9 in the majors as a 19-year old rookie, 3.9 BB/9 as a 15-game winner at age 20. Not a very apt comparison IMO.

Tanner Scott has averaged 6.9 BB/9 in his MiL career. This was his age 21 season, and he averaged 8.0 BB/9 in high A and AA. Jim Palmer averaged 5.5 BB/9 in the majors as a 19-year old rookie, 3.9 BB/9 as a 15-game winner at age 20. Not a very apt comparison IMO.

Yours? I agree. I wasn't comparing them as ML players since Scott hasn't played there yet. I said Palmer had control issues. And the early days was his struggles in the minors which he's talked about quite often.

I also said nothing about his ceiling which I, get this, also did not compare to Palmer. You posting Palmer's rookie season is in what way extrapolated from my post?

I thought it was pretty clear I was responding to the idea that he's a prospect because of the velocity he carries, not because they see him as the future Jim Palmer. Seriously, you don't have to search his MiL numbers either. The only comparison I was making was one of a general one in nature. I never implied otherwise.

Yours? I agree. I wasn't comparing them as ML players since Scott hasn't played there yet. I said Palmer had control issues. And the early days was his struggles in the minors which he's talked about quite often.

I also said nothing about his ceiling which I, get this, also did not compare to Palmer. You posting Palmer's rookie season is in what way extrapolated from my post?

I thought it was pretty clear I was responding to the idea that he's a prospect because of the velocity he carries, not because they see him as the future Jim Palmer. Seriously, you don't have to search his MiL numbers either. The only comparison I was making was one of a general one in nature. I never implied otherwise.

Ahh, the old bait and switch. Expertly done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why is Harvey high on people's lists? He's consistently hurt, and I honestly doubt he's up here by the time he turns 25.

The upside is very high still. It's frustrating for everyone including him I'm sure, but hopefully the TJ surgery will get him back on track. We won't have him number one though.

While both Sedlock and Akin showed exceptionally well at Aberdeen (actually Akin had better stats), I can't put them at the very top just based on that because the sample size was too small - under 30 innings for both. Hunter at least pitched 80 some dominant innings in Delmarva. And he's only a few months older than both of them. No doubt Sedlock belongs near the top, but I think part of the attraction to Sedlock is that he's got the All-American looks like a young Jim Palmer, and combine that with his 2-seam fastball, and people assume he can't miss, but I need to see a little more - and I wonder if Akin should actually be rated ahead of him. Both will turn 22 next season and have a lot to prove, imo.

I'll throw mine out there, but I'm going to adjust and possibly have a very different list because I'm going to go against the norms of prospect lists. Relievers get historically punished for being not being starters. But as we've seen they are the hot new trend in baseball and a large part of why we've been so good the last 5 years. Guys like Givens, O'day, and Brach never came anywhere near a top 10 list. I'll take a guy that has dominant stuff even if it's just for 1-2 innings over SP that has low K's and low velocity. Just from our own lists, Tyler Wilson and Mike Wright were always ranked ahead of Givens, Drake and Hart. So here goes:

1. Chance Sisco. He's clearly the best and most accomplished prospect in our system and if you don't see it that way then you're nuts. Not really but it's time to hop all the way on the bandwagon. He's only 21. He's either won or competed for the "batting title" (avg.) at every full season stop he's been at. He would just now be draft eligible if he would have went to college and he would easily be a high first round pick. I wonder if that would change perception. Not worried about his defense or power.

2. Hunter Harvey. I have him over Sedlock here because of upside. Sedlock will be ahead of him in reaching the MLB, but Harvey's ceiling is higher. This is definitely the Bundy effect. Not going to penalize guys for TJ, it's not like it's a shoulder injury.

3. Cody Sedlock. Love that he established himself as a workhorse starter his last year. I don't think he threw too many innings overall in his NCAA career and should be a perfect fit with great IF defense. Hope its still there when he gets here.

4. Trey Mancini. Big time power. Those shots into the opposing team's dugout were incredible. Looks like he's ready to contribute as a RH side of a platoon right away. He has value even if he's just a DH, but let him be playable in the OF and we're looking good.

5. Ryan Mountcastle. HS bat that hit in his first full year of full season ball. He and Sisco are pretty rare in that regards. That just doesn't happen with O's draft picks over the years. Third base would be ideal if he has the arm.

6. Ofelky Peralta. High upside here. Only 19 at Delmarva and had 101 K's in 103 IP. In 172.1 professional IP he's only given up 3 HR's.

7. Tanner Scott. You can't teach being LH or throwing 100. 81 K's in 64 IP last year. Only 22 years old. If he puts it together just a little bit he will be a real weapon. His floor is a LH Givens. Really could have had him 4th here, I value him that much. No more reliever bias.

8. Keegan Akin. Absolutely dominated Aberdeen and he's LH.

9. Austin Hays. Seems to be the real deal. Can he stay healthy?

10. Jomar Reyes. Can he overcome the hand injury? I'm dismissing last year to that. Still will only be 20 at the start of next year.

11. DJ Stewart. I like that he got better as the quality of pitching got better at Fred. Since he came from a big time program it could have thrown him off to face lower tier pitching that was wild. With his polished approach it appears that pitchers being around the zone more in Fred. helped him.

12. Jesus Liranzo. Power arm with a high K rate. It helps to that the Pads asked about him in trades.

13. Garret Cleavinger. High k rate. Being groomed in the mold of Brad Brach. Multi inning reliever. LH. College closer.

14. Ryan Meisenger. Just like Cleavinger but RH. Multi inning reliever with a high k rate. These guys should move fast. Bowie's bullpen is going to be nasty.

15. Gray Fenter. Don't forget about him. Had TJ surgery before the season. We went way over slot on him in the 2015 draft giving him $1,000,000. That's 2nd-3rd money. Built like Bundy. Dominated the GCL in 2015 right out of high school

Lets throw some darts

16. Brian Gonzalez

17. Joe Gunkel

18. Cedric Mullens

19. Brandon Kline. Time to move him back to the pen and not have him overthrowing as a SP. I think that's what caused his TJ. He should have been a factor 2 years ago out of the pen.

20. Jason Garcia. It was nice to let him make up the innings he lost by being a rule 5 guy last year. Time to ditch the SP and become a reliever in AAA. Should be very high up on the norfolk shuttle.

21. Chris Lee. Shoulder injuries are tough. If he were healthy and just a LH reliever, I'd have him top 10. I'm not optimistic about him pitching next year.

22. Alex Murphy. Catcher with power. He's gotta be on the list.

23. Matthias Dietz

24. Lezaro Leyva. The 2016 man of mystery. Would be much higher if I knew his head was on straight and knew where the heck he was.

25. Dariel Alvarez. Heck put him in the pen and with my rankings he'd be top 15. lol.

26. Christian Walker

27. Drew Dosch. Late Bloomer?

28. Corban Joseph. Old but you could argue that he's got a better track record of hitting than Flaherty.

29. Randolph Gassaway. Just not sold after years of doing nothing.

30. Yermin Mercedes. Too old for his league. Questionable defense. But you can't teach the hit tool and the numbers he put up.

My point is simply that Scott is way at the top end of the wildness scale, way above anything comparable with Palmer at the same age. The odds he'll overcome it sufficiently to be a productive major league pitcher are higher than 50-1 IMO.

Archived