Hangouters Top 30 prospects!

Tony-OH

Tony has been pretty blase about Alvarado. Kind of a pitchability guy who isn't expected to thrive in the upper levels. I don't expect to see him on the top 30 list and he certainly won't be on the 40-man.

Just based on his numbers and age I would think he has the potential to be taken in the Rule 5 draft if he is not protected.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That possibility sounds ridiculous to me. He reportedly doesn't throw real hard and he had mediocre numbers in Low A ball. What would possess a team to pick him? You put guys on the 40 man who you think other teams might select and you are afraid of losing. Alvarado doesn't fall into either category, really.

And if he were to be selected, you'd get him right back. If you wanted him.

And if he were to be selected, you'd get him right back. If you wanted him.

Yep. How often did you see guys selected in the Rule V coming out of of Low A ball? Almost never.

High A maybe. Double A sure. The only reason we took Jason Garcia was because he had a high 90's fastball. Alvarado has a high 80's fastball.

My guess:

1. Sedlock

2. Sisco

3. Mancini

4. Harvey

5. Akin

6. Mountcastle

7. Hays

8. Peralta

9. Gonzalez

10. Dietz

11. Scott

12. Stewart

13. Mullins

14. Reyes

15. Gassaway

16. Donnie Hart

17. Liranzo

18. Walker

19. Wells

20. Lee

21. McKenna

22. Clevenger

23. Garcia

24. Murphy

25. Fenter

26. Yacabnois

27. Richard Rodriguez

28. Curran

29. Gunkel

30. Meisinger

I believe that Richard Rodriguez is eligible for minor league free agency now. If so the Orioles will either need to put him on the 40 man roster(not likely) or resign him to a minor league contract.

He was good in Norfolk last year. I'd really love to see him up this season over anyone else in Norfolk besides Gunkel and potentially Sisco.

But Mullins was one year younger than Stewart this year. He can also play CF and run. He also had a higher slugging percentage than Stewart. You can hit your way to the majors. It's a little tougher to walk your way to the majors.

Nobody's a bigger Mullins fan than I am - I think I've made that clear. I brought up the points about Stewart because the points you brought up about Mullins were already brought up. But I do think it's foolish to discount the difference in their OBP's: .389 in Frederick vs .321 in Delmarva. As I said, I think it's a toss-up between them.

Nobody's a bigger Mullins fan than I am - I think I've made that clear. I brought up the points about Stewart because the points you brought up about Mullins were already brought up. But I do think it's foolish to discount the difference in their OBP's: .389 in Frederick vs .321 in Delmarva. As I said, I think it's a toss-up between them.

Mullins is an interesting guy because there are a lot of differing opinions on him in the scouting and player personnel community. He's definitely in the top 30, but he was a hard one to place. The next two years should tell us a lot about him though. If he can be playing in Bowie some time next year that would be a real bonus to his prospect status, especially if he can hold his own there.

I believe that Richard Rodriguez is eligible for minor league free agency now. If so the Orioles will either need to put him on the 40 man roster(not likely) or resign him to a minor league contract.

I'm thinking that Richard Rodriguez does make the 40 man roster. If the O's non tender or trade Worley to save money then I think Rodriguez has as good a shot as Wilson or Wright to win the long reliever spot in the O's pen.

I'm thinking that Richard Rodriguez does make the 40 man roster. If the O's non tender or trade Worley to save money then I think Rodriguez has as good a shot as Wilson or Wright to win the long reliever spot in the O's pen.

Wright should just be a BP piece like Brach. That should be his offseason's mission. Imagine how awesome that would be.

I think Tyler Wilson has that Worley role sewn up. He's cheap, and he's shown an ability to spot start and keep a lineup at bay one time through an order. Don't have a lot of info on Rodriguez, but no one mentioned him as any kind of prospect, so it's doubtful he'll be added to the 40-man. He seems like a good guy to have in your organization but after not getting a sniff last year, you have to imagine Rodriguez may try minor league free agency.

I think Tyler Wilson has that Worley role sewn up. He's cheap, and he's shown an ability to spot start and keep a lineup at bay one time through an order. Don't have a lot of info on Rodriguez, but no one mentioned him as any kind of prospect, so it's doubtful he'll be added to the 40-man. He seems like a good guy to have in your organization but after not getting a sniff last year, you have to imagine Rodriguez may try minor league free agency.

I've watched him in Norfolk. He's been really good the past couple years.

Wilson allowed a .294 average to batters and had a 1.43 WHIP when he pitched in relief last year. Wright had a total of 11 innings in major league relief last yearf. I don't think either of them has anything locked up. They will come to camp and fight for a job on the major league roster IMO. They have options and can be sent down and be called up as needed.

Richard Rodriguez went 8-2, 2.53 ERA, 81.2 IP, 65 H, 81 SO, 1.10 WHIP at AAA. If the O's don't put him on the major league roster there is a good chance someone else will. I know there is no chatter about him, I don't understand why. I would think the O's would add Liranzo, Yacabonis and Rodriguez to the 40 man this off season. The pen is one of the strength of the O's. Its where they are probably going to deal from if they trade for a right fielder. They should keep their depth.

I would put the odds of Rodriguez being added to the 40 man at about 5%. Yacabonis at 50% and Liranzo at %100 (assuming he's eligible). I haven't had a chance to look at the players wh are eligible yet, so there may be others. Rodriguez has good numbers but he clearly isn't regarded highly within the organization, IMO. There must be a reason (stuff?).

Gunkel? Mercedes? Caleb's brother?

Archived