Hangouters Top 30 prospects!

Tony-OH

The upside is very high still. It's frustrating for everyone including him I'm sure, but hopefully the TJ surgery will get him back on track. We won't have him number one though.

I see. That and due to Bundy's success this year there's a little more hope that he can make it to the big leagues and pitch well

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<<7. Tanner Scott. You can't teach being LH or throwing 100. 81 K's in 64 IP last year. Only 22 years old. If he puts it together just a little bit he will be a real weapon. His floor is a LH Givens. Really could have had him 4th here, I value him that much. No more reliever bias.>>

Decent list sportsfan and I agree that power relievers should get more respect on prospect lists, but in the case of Scott he has to at least come up with a decent secondary offering and develop some control. His floor is not Givens until he can come up with those things. The guy averaged a walk an inning as a 22 year old in A/AA. I think he's far away from being a big leaguer if that even ever happens. His command is just not there.

I would have Mullins and Gassaway much higher, but good list overall. It is very hard to justify ranking DJ Stewart over Mullins at this point. Mullins has shown better tools, better results, and is a year younger.

<<7. Tanner Scott. You can't teach being LH or throwing 100. 81 K's in 64 IP last year. Only 22 years old. If he puts it together just a little bit he will be a real weapon. His floor is a LH Givens. Really could have had him 4th here, I value him that much. No more reliever bias.>>

Decent list sportsfan and I agree that power relievers should get more respect on prospect lists, but in the case of Scott he has to at least come up with a decent secondary offering and develop some control. His floor is not Givens until he can come up with those things. The guy averaged a walk an inning as a 22 year old in A/AA. I think he's far away from being a big leaguer if that even ever happens. His command is just not there.

I would have Mullins and Gassaway much higher, but good list overall. It is very hard to justify ranking DJ Stewart over Mullins at this point. Mullins has shown better tools, better results, and is a year younger.

100% agree on Scott. I think it's a coin toss regarding Stewart and Mullins and Gassaway. Adding in Hays, I think we have 4 legit good OF prospects - none are great prospects, but all are better than we've had since Markakis, imo. Most here don't have all 4 in the O's top 20, yet I got sarcastic comments about not including Scott in the top 20 presumably based on the lack of talent in the O's system...

What Stewart has over Mullins is OBP - and he did it at a higher level than Mullins. And he's a strongly built kid, so I expect he'll hit with good power. I think it's all about him staying disciplined and loosening that odd crouch.

Thanks for the response. I'll justify Scott being ranked so high. I think he was a little rushed to Bowie so that he would be eligible for the AFL. He got off to a rocky start to the season in Fred.

In May and June he absolutely dominated. 29.2 IP, 3 ER, 7 H, 42k/20BB, 0 HR. In 129.2 profession IP the guy has only let up 1 HR and 96 hits. His biggest issue is BB's. He's pitching in the AFL right now against the games best prospects. I really like Alan Mills in AA and I think we are going to see a bunch of bullpen arms there look impressive at some point in 2017.

Relievers who will probably pitch in Bowie at one point in 2017

Tanner Scott

Jesus Liranzo

Garret Cleavinger

Ryan Meisenger

Lezaro Leyva(hopefully)

Brandon Kline(coming off TJ)

These are all power arms that the Orioles are grooming to be more than one inning relievers. This group has the chance to be real special. Especially if it allows the big club the ability to keep the pen being dominant, and being cheap. This will allow us to spend more on other things like Manny and Schoop.

My point is simply that Scott is way at the top end of the wildness scale, way above anything comparable with Palmer at the same age. The odds he'll overcome it sufficiently to be a productive major league pitcher are higher than 50-1 IMO.

My point is simply that Scott is way at the top end of the wildness scale, way above anything comparable with Palmer at the same age. The odds he'll overcome it sufficiently to be a productive major league pitcher are higher than 50-1 IMO.

Look, my only point in bringing up JP was that he struggled w command earlier in his career. It's one aspect, not meant to be a comp for the guy. My OP in this thread was in response to others thinking his walk rate disqualifies him from being a prospect. Anyone who throws as hard as he does will be given a wide berth. As to your odds, maybe, but there may something that clicks for him at another level, another coach who makes an adjustment. Lot of unknowns going forward.

Combined rating so far:

1. Sedlock

2. Sisco

3. Mancini

4. Harvey

5. Akin

6. Mountcastle

7. Hays

8. Peralta

9. Dietz

10. Scott

11. Stewart

12. Mullins

13. Gonzalez

14. Reyes

15. Gassaway

16. Liranzo

17. Walker

18. Wells

19. Lee

20. Gunkel

21. McKenna

22. Clevenger

23. Garcia

24. Murphy

25. Fenter

26. Yacabnois

27. Billingsley

28. Curran

29. D, Alvarez

30. Meisinger

I would have Gonzalez higher but other than that this look pretty good to me pending a answer from Tony on Donnie Hart.

What can anyone tell me about Cristian Alvardo?

He has 5 years in the minors which means he will be exposed to the Rule 5 draft if he is not put on the 40 man roster.

His stat line at Delmarva looks pretty impressive.

10-9, 3.41 ERA 27 Starts, 148 IP, 143 H, 148 SO, 1.16 WHIP

He pitched the year at 21 year old and turn 22 on Sept 20th. He has good size for the 22 year old. 6'3" 175 lb.

Is he someone that should be on the top 30 list? Should he be put of the 40 man roster?

What can anyone tell me about Cristian Alvardo?

He has 5 years in the minors which means he will be exposed to the Rule 5 draft if he is not put on the 40 man roster.

His stat line at Delmarva looks pretty impressive.

10-9, 3.41 ERA 27 Starts, 148 IP, 143 H, 148 SO, 1.16 WHIP

He pitched the year at 21 year old and turn 22 on Sept 20th. He has good size for the 22 year old. 6'3" 175 lb.

Is he someone that should be on the top 30 list? Should he be put of the 40 man roster?

Tony has been pretty blase about Alvarado. Kind of a pitchability guy who isn't expected to thrive in the upper levels. I don't expect to see him on the top 30 list and he certainly won't be on the 40-man.

Yes, Hart still qualifies.

Thanks Tony. I would think he belongs at about 16. He will not be higher then someone that has a chance to be a regular position player or a starter or a closer. However, he is already in the major doing well and projected to make the team next spring so he belongs higher that other relievers without closer potential. JMO.

Archived