Orioles discussing a qualifying offer to Wieters again this offseason

Tony-OH

I don't think Boras just decided to have a sit down with Dan near the end of the season.

Not his style.

I would be very surprised if Boras doesn't already have a pretty clear understanding of the Orioles' interest in resigning Matt. I think it's there, but not so strong that testing the FA market isn't the best course for his client. I don't think reports that there was debate in the Warehouse about offering the QO have any basis in fact. Personally I don't think it was ever an option.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But this would be risking an additional $18.8 million on Matt for two additional years when he is that much older and beginning to be potentially blocking Sisco. I think offering the QO is both less risky and a better fit for the Orioles future plans than locking Wieters up for three years at $12 million per. I'm not happy with $17.2 million for Matt in 2017, but we are likely to alternatively over-pay for another catcher. Besides, Matt may just decide to decline the QO.

This is all moot now, of course. But I do think MW will make that on the open market, or more. The point is, we would have paid market value for him (I'm guessing $12 million per at most) rather than way above market.

You think you could get the same out of Caleb? A guy who had zero RBIs last season. A guy with a .412 OPS last season? A guy who will be 31 next season? Caleb should not be on the major league roster next season. I wouldn't put him on 40 man that is for sure. If we let Wieters go we need to acquire 2 catchers.

Caleb had a serious ball injury, and hasn't gotten regular playing time. I think he's a hidden value player and that he could handle the catching duties fine. He just needs to play full-time. For awhile, it looked like he was going to displace Wieters to some degree behind the plate. To cherry-pick a horrible, SSS stretch doesn't help to shed light on his true potential or value, IMO.

I don't think he's an ideal answer. I just think he COULD play a suitable catcher and hit 17 homers if he stayed healthy and got plenty of ABs.

Do you forget Caleb played well here before last season. He put up a 2.0 WAR in 2015?

I am not ready to write Caleb off, just leary about giving him the keys to the starting job.

Agreed with this entirely - and not saying don't keep looking for better alternatives. But if we wound up with Caleb as our starter out of spring training, I wouldn't be shocked at all. I have a weird feeling we'll resign Wieters, though. I think he's going to sign very late in the offseason... and possibly for a 2/28 deal or something along those lines. We shall see.

I thought that last year.

Was wrong.

Don't see why they would be more interested now.

Agree. Not sure why a rebuilding team like the Braves would want to sign a declining catcher to a multi-year deal. They made that mistake with Markakis. I don't think it happens again. I have no idea where Wieters ends up, just hope it's not here for what he will likely cost.

Agree. Not sure why a rebuilding team like the Braves would want to sign a declining catcher to a multi-year deal. They made that mistake with Markakis. I don't think it happens again. I have no idea where Wieters ends up, just hope it's not here for what he will likely cost.

I wouldn't underestimate that they are opening a new stadium and would want to augment their roster with name players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived