Platoon Options for RF

ChuckS

Wasn't there a reason they didn't get Rasmus a couple years ago? Buck went and met with him during the offseason and then we ended up not signing him. Don't remember details on why he chose Houston instead.

Well, for one thing, Rasmus said he liked the trucks in Houston. :) He really did.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That wasn't his career year. He's had multiple 3.5 wins seasons and even a 5 win season. He's easily a better player than Markakis at this point and has been for about 6 years.

Houston's going to enjoy him. Very good signing for them especially considering how RH they are.

Jake Marisnick is penciled in at CF btw, with Reddick in LF, Springer in RF, Gurriel at 1B and Bregman at 3B. Correa and Altulve up the middle, and McCann/Gattis alternating at C-DH. Bench includes Marwin Gonzalez and Teoscar Hernandez. They are completely set for their position players.

I'm not a big fan of Gardner because of his weak arm, but if you had him, you'd have Kim/Mancini for DH. Then if you got Jay, you'd have a Rickard/Jay platoon in right.

It wouldn't be the worst thing. I just don't think we are in a good position to make trades to improve the 2017 team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rickard's arm isn't good enough for RF, either.

Rickard's arm isn't good enough for RF, either.

Buck had no problems playing him out there last year, and don't think he'd be hesitant to do it again as a short side of a platoon.

Though I have a feeling we'll end up with Jay Bruce for right.

The Padres have designated Oswaldo Arcia.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/a/arciaos01.shtml

He's not a very good player, but he is an Orioles-style player, power being his best offensive attribute.

Still just 25 on opening day next year, he's one of the younger players for whom 2017 is his age-26 season.

Career 162-game AVG: 235/298/422, 25 HR.

In the Trumbo 2-win, Alvarez 1-win spectrum, he's probably a replacement level type.

I dont think Duquette plans on adding any significant salary to the team. It could be late March before a solution is found for the OF. Right now I think Rickard and Mancini at DH, will be in the lineup alot unless a better option becomes available.

The Padres have designated Oswaldo Arcia.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/a/arciaos01.shtml

He's not a very good player, but he is an Orioles-style player, power being his best offensive attribute.

Still just 25 on opening day next year, he's one of the younger players for whom 2017 is his age-26 season.

Career 162-game AVG: 235/298/422, 25 HR.

In the Trumbo 2-win, Alvarez 1-win spectrum, he's probably a replacement level type.

This is definitely a Duquette type player if there ever was one. But he played for four teams last year. He may have an work ethic problem. Buck wants professionals.

Buck had no problems playing him out there last year, and don't think he'd be hesitant to do it again as a short side of a platoon.

Though I have a feeling we'll end up with Jay Bruce for right.

For a team that's looking for OBP, jay Bruce would be horrible.

I'm not a big fan of Gardner because of his weak arm, but if you had him, you'd have Kim/Mancini for DH. Then if you got Jay, you'd have a Rickard/Jay platoon in right.

It wouldn't be the worst thing. I just don't think we are in a good position to make trades to improve the 2017 team.

I thought the attractive thing about signing John Jay is the fact that his splits are even?

Why would you platoon someone like that?

This is definitely a Duquette type player if there ever was one. But he played for four teams last year. He may have an work ethic problem. Buck wants professionals.

How are you making this leap in logic? Have you heard anything specifically about his work ethic?

Archived